The University of Rhode Island is inviting application for its Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in Oceanography (SURFO) designed primarily for science, math and engineering students who will have just completed their junior year of undergraduate coursework. The program can include laboratory work, data analysis, instrumentation development, dynamical modelling, even a research cruise.
The basic goals of the SURFO program are to provide participants with an appreciation for the interdisciplinary character of Oceanography and an authentic research experience in a cutting-edge field of Oceanography.
The University of Rhode Island, commonly referred to as URI, is the principal public research as well as the land grant and sea grant university for the state of Rhode Island. Its main campus is located in the village of Kingston in southern Rhode Island.
Application Deadline: February 21, 2018
Course Level: Fellowship is available for undergraduate students.
Study Subject: Fellowship is awarded to Summer Fellows may be involved in projects related to:
Physical, Biological, Chemical, or Geological Oceanography.
Geophysics / Geodynamics.
Population Genetics / Biodiversity.
Atmospheric Chemistry / Meteorology.
Remote Sensing / Ocean Engineering.
Scholarship Award: Students receive a stipend of $5500 for the 10-week program. Additional funds are provided for housing. Partial to full reimbursement for travel is provided.
Nationality: The USA or foreign students are eligible to apply for the fellowship.
Number of Scholarships: Number of fellowships is not given.
Scholarship can be taken in the USA
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: USA or foreign students are eligible to apply for the fellowship.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must be an undergraduate students.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must be fluent in English.
How to Apply:
- We offer two application methods, including:
- SURFO Application Form 2018.
- Contact Program Coordinator for a hard copy of Application Materials.
- In addition to the above form, there are five basic components to a SURFO application:
- Statement of Interest (to include)-
- Career Interests
- Research Experience (if any)
- Reasons for Interest in this Program
- Letters of Reference (2 required)-
- from people who are familiar with your academic capabilities and know of your interest in research
- Resume (to include)-
- Relevant Coursework
- Work Experience
- Other Activities
- Computer Experience (to include)-
- Systems, Platforms and/or Languages used
- Code writing experience
- Hardware & Software familiarity
- College Transcripts-
- for each college attended
- we accept unofficial transcripts