Applications are invited for two Early Stage Researcher (ESR) PhD studentships at the Institute of Cancer Research. Scholarships are available for International students.
The ICR is a member of an exciting new EU funded innovative training network (ITN) which aims to exploit EU wide experience of industrial and biomedical ultrasound cavitation and sonochemistry. This ambitious overall programme will take a systematic approach towards understanding ultrasound cavitation better using a combination of experiments and simulations.
The Institute of Cancer Research, London, is one of the world’s most influential cancer research institutes, with an outstanding record of achievement dating back more than 100 years.
ICR PhD Studentships for International Students in UK, 2019
- Applications Deadline: January 31, 2019
- Course Level: Studentships are available to study PhD program.
- Study Subject: The two PhD projects are listed below with details of the supervisory team and project site.
Details of how to apply are linked at the end of the project list.(Note that these two projects are separate from our main PhD recruitment round, and have a separate application process).
1. Development of clinically relevant acousto-thermal tissue mimics (ESR7)
2. Development of therapeutic ultrasound applications based on acoustic cavitation (ESR8)
- Scholarship Award: The successful candidates will receive a 36 month, full-time employment contract as per Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) regulations for early stage researchers. The monthly salary will be confirmed upon offer, paid in the currency of the host country, and with a correction factor applied to the host country. The ESRs will be enrolled in a PhD programme of leading academic and industrial researchers. In addition to their individual scientific projects, all ESRs will benefit from a training programmed tailored to the needs of the project, comprising an integrated curriculum of local and intensive network courses, schools, workshops and engagement with cutting-edge research.
- Nationality: Scholarships are available for International students.
Entrance Requirements: Please note that special conditions apply as per Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) regulations.
- Be able to demonstrate that they have spent fewer than 12 months working in the UK in the last 3 years, and
- Should have a minimum of a BSc, but preferably an MSc, in a relevant physical science or engineering subject, and
- Be able to demonstrate strong experimental and mathematical modelling capabilities.
Admissions to all ICR research degree programmes are governed by the ICR Admissions Policy and Procedure (PDF) and the Appeals and Complaints Procedure for Applicants (PDF).
We consider applications on merit and have a strong commitment to enhancing the diversity of our students
To be eligible for registration for the degree of MPhil/ PhD, you should have (or expect to obtain):
- A degree in a relevant subject passed with First Class or Upper Second Class honours 
- or a Masters degree in a relevant subject
- or an overseas qualification of equivalent standard to the above
- or an MPhil in a relevant field (see paragraph 9.1 of the MPhil/PhD Code of Practice)
And you must have:
- experience of the relevant laboratory of research work relevant to the post 
Also, if your first language is not English:
- you must be able to demonstrate a proficiency in English to the equivalent of an IELTS score of 7.0, with a minimum of 6 in any one component;
- or within the last two years in a majority English speaking country, have either education experience in English for a minimum of 1 year; or work experience in English for a minimum of 18 months and be able to satisfy Home Office visa criteria where necessary.
How to Apply: Applicants should send:
- Letter of motivation,
- Curriculum vitae of at most 3 pages,
- Copy of transcripts and of their degree, and a copy of the master’s thesis or any other publications (if available),
- Two written recommendation letters (e.g. one by the former Master thesis supervisor and their referee’s contact details).
Undergraduate | Masters | PhD | Postdoc Scholarships