Physical therapy, also known as physiotherapy is an area of medicine that deals with understanding therapeutic methods for improving, recovering, and preventing injuries, illness, and disabilities. However, there are several physical therapy schools for individuals interested in becoming a physical therapist.
The study of Physical therapy includes learning how to administer treatments, such as hands-on exercises, to increase their patient’s quality of life.
To become a physical therapist, it is a core requirement that you study and have a degree in physical therapy. In that regard, this is a comprehensive article on the top easiest physical therapy schools in the world.
How to Become a Physical Therapist
Here is a guide on how to become a physical therapist:
- EARN A BACHELOR’S DEGREE
To become a physical therapist, you must earn a doctor of physical therapy (DPT) Degree, so the first step to becoming a licensed physical therapist is to earn your bachelor’s degree.
- CHOOSE A DPT PROGRAM
The cost of a DPT program will vary depending on factors like the location of the school or program. The average cost is $4,232 to $91,842 for a public school and $22,985 to $122,550 for a private school (USA.edu)
Other steps include:
- Graduate from your DPT program and pass the NPTE
- Pass Your State’s Licensure Exam
- Complete a residency or earn board certification (optional)
- Apply for PT jobs
13 Easiest Physical Therapy Schools To Get Into
Here are some of the easiest physical therapy schools to get into:
The Bellarmine University Doctor of Physical Therapy program is dedicated to excellence in physical therapy and service by providing comprehensive academic and clinical experiences for diverse and talented students. It is one of the easiest physical therapy schools to get into.
The program is an integral part of the School of Movement and Rehabilitation Sciences, The Physical Therapist Professional community, and the local healthcare delivery system. The program focuses on preparing students for licensure and practice in the field of physical therapy.
REQUIREMENTS OF BELLARMINE UNIVERSITY
- A bachelor’s degree in a major of choice is required.
- Completion of all prerequisites, before starting the program. Visit the school’s website to see an overview of the program’s prerequisites.
- All Applicants to the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at Bellarmine University must be made through the physical therapy centralized application service (PTCAS)
Housed in the Duke University School of Medicine‘s Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Duke Doctor of Physical Therapy program is a three-year, full-time program resulting in a comprehensive foundation in the science and art of physical therapy.
The mission of the program is to develop the next generation of professional leaders, it is focused on personalized treatments that help clinicians understand and promote the health of individual patients.
Duke University is one of the easiest physical therapy schools. Additionally, The faculty conducts research through innovative clinical practices, educational research, and improving diagnostic accuracy. It promotes Team-Based learning and STEPs program (Student team experience practice).
REQUIREMENTS FOR DUKE UNIVERSITY
The Duke University Doctor of Physical Therapy program receives over 1000 applications yearly. In the 2023-24 application cycle, the program enrolled 104 students. Only full-time students are accepted. Below are the DPT Application Requirements:
- A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. A bachelor’s degree in natural science is not required; however, a strong background in natural science coursework is recommended.
- Completion of all prerequisites before matriculation. You can visit the school’s website to see the Duke DPT Prerequisite overview.
- Three letters of recommendation; one each from your professor, a licensed physical therapist you have worked with, and a person of your choice.
- The GRE must be taken within Five years of application.
- 100 Verified Physical therapy observation hours at the time of application
A.T STILL UNIVERSITY
AT Still University is a Missouri-based private medical school. It is one of the easiest physical therapy schools to get into.
The A.T. Still University‘s Physical Therapy Department faculty members and staff are committed to elevating the physical therapy profession and promoting the health of society by educating Doctors of physical therapy students in a supportive learning environment centered on whole-person healthcare.
REQUIREMENTS OF AT STILL UNIVERSITY
- All Applications to the Physical therapy program at AT Still University must be submitted to the Central Application Service for a Physical Therapist (PTCAS)
- Completion of all prerequisite courses before the start of school
- Applicants must have achieved a minimum 2.80 cumulative GPA and a 2.80 prerequisite GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- Applicants are required to have a Minimum GRE of 140 for verbal and quantitative as well as a 3.5 on the writing score.
Founded in 1836, Emory University is an Atlanta-based private research university known for its commitment to academic excellence. It is one of the easiest physical therapy schools to get into.
The Division of Physical Therapy at Emory University is committed to providing the highest quality of education in physical therapy practice.
The school offers The Doctor of Physical Therapy, Dual DPT/PhD, DPT-MPH program, DPT-MBA program, DPT/MA-Bioethics Dual Degree, and Residential Training. each program focuses on preparing physical therapists for practice in an evolving healthcare environment.
REQUIREMENTS OF EMORY UNIVERSITY
- Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university at the time of matriculation.
- Completion of all prerequisite courses before starting the program.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Score is required.
- Three Letters of recommendation
- 100 hours of physical therapy experience.
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Founded in 1880, The University of Southern California is a Los Angeles-based private research university, it is one of the oldest private research universities in California. It is also one of the easiest physical therapy schools to get into.
The USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy is ranked among the top in the nation by U.S. News and World Report. The school’s vision is to educate and prepare the next generation of physical therapists by integrating research and clinical practice with the classroom.
The School offers a Doctor of Physical Therapy program and Continuing education. Applicants to the DPT program must satisfy all requirements for USC Graduate school admission, which include:
REQUIREMENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
- All applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree from a regional accredited college or university by the date of enrollment
- A minimum Cumulative and Science GPA of 3.0 is required.
- A minimum of 150 hours of clinical experience in a physical therapy setting is recommended, but not required.
- Completion of all prerequisite courses, before starting the program.
- Letters of Recommendation
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
The Department of Physical Therapy at the University of Florida consists of a dynamic and growing faculty dedicated to excellence in education, research, and service including one of the best massage therapy schools in the state. The department is ranked among the easiest Physical therapy schools to get into by U.S. News and World Report.
The Entry-level Doctor of Physical Therapy program at the University of Florida is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). Any student graduating from a CAPTE-accredited program is eligible to sit for the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) and become eligible for licensure.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
- Baccalaureate degree in any discipline from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (Based on a 4.0 scale)
- A minimum of three recommendations
- GRE general tests are required.
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
The New York University (NYU) is one of the easiest physical therapy schools to get into. The Doctor of Physical Therapy program at New York University provides students with the necessary knowledge and skills to become skilled physical therapists. Students will master the theoretical and hands-on skills needed to prevent, detect, and treat movement-related illnesses and injuries.
The DPT program consists of 133 credit hours in 3 years. The mission of the program is to prepare physical therapist students for licensure. The school boasts of a 98% national licensure examination pass rate.
REQUIREMENTS OF NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
- A bachelor’s degree in a field other than physical therapy
- Completion of the prerequisite courses
- A minimum of one day of observation in three different physical therapy locations, including at least one inpatient setting.
- Letters of recommendation.
UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI
The Doctor Physical Therapy program at the University of Miami is a top-ranked clinical program that is dedicated to preparing students for entry-level practice as a physical therapist.
The program is 36 months long and includes 33 weeks of clinical experience. The overall goal of the curriculum is to produce a highly competent generalist practitioner at the doctoral level. The Doctor of Physical Therapy is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE)
REQUIREMENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- All prerequisite coursework must be completed by the time classes start.
Touro University is one of the easiest physical therapy schools to get into. The Entry-level Doctor of Physical Therapy program at Touro University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).
Also, its program is committed to preparing practitioners who are skilled, knowledgeable, and caring. The curriculum is designed to advance your capabilities in the areas of clinical care, education, and healthcare policy development.
REQUIREMENTS OF TOURO UNIVERSITY
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Successful completion of all prerequisite Courses
- GRE scores are required
- 50 volunteer hours
- Letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts of all college work must be submitted through PTCAS.
EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1911, East Tennessee State University is a public research university in Johnson City, Tennessee, committed to improving the quality of life for people in the region and beyond.
The Doctor of Physical Therapy program at East Tennessee State University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). The institution prepares physical therapy practitioners who embody lifelong learning, collaboration, and leadership to improve the health of individuals in the region and society. The DPT program is offered by the Department of Physical Therapy and runs for three academic years.
REQUIREMENTS OF EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY
- Submission of three recommendations
- GRE Scores are required
- Successful completion of all prerequisite courses
UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY
Founded in 1865, the University of Kentucky is a public land-grant research university in Lexington, Kentucky. The University offers one of the best and easiest Doctor of physical therapy programs, which is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) and boasts of a 100% employment rate and a 99% Licensing exam pass rate.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY
- Completion of prerequisite courses
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required.
- A graduate record exam (GRE) is required.
- A minimum of 50 to 100 observation hours are required.
UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE
The University of Delaware is a Newark-based public university, founded in 1743. It is one of the easiest physical therapy schools to get into.
Known for its excellence in academic, clinical education, and multidisciplinary research, The University of Delaware Physical Therapy is one of the highest-ranked DPT programs in the country, which qualifies graduates to sit for the national physical therapy examination to become licensed in the United States as a physical therapist.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Completion of prerequisite courses with a C (2.0 minimum) or higher
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and minimum science prerequisite GPA of 3.0
- A minimum of 50 observation hours are required by the time of matriculation.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Completion of the PTCAS application
SOUTHWEST BAPTIST UNIVERSITY
Southwest Baptist University takes pride in its Doctor of Physical Therapy program, which prepares students for their careers as a physical therapist and provides them with the knowledge and skills needed for patient management, education, consultation, and clinical research.
REQUIREMENTS OF SOUTHWEST BAPTIST UNIVERSITY
- Completion of a Baccalaureate degree
- Documented experience/observation in physical therapy (up to 40 hours is required)
- Completion of Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Completion of all prerequisite courses with a C (3.0 minimum) or higher
- International students need to contact the department or SBU catalogue for additional requirements, including the TOEFL exam.
WHAT IS THE LOWEST GPA TO GET INTO PHYSICAL THERAPY SCHOOL?
Most easiest physical therapy schools often require a minimum GPA of 3.0 amongst other requirements. So you must have at least a 3.0 GPA
WHAT IS THE LOWEST DEGREE FOR PHYSICAL THERAPY?
The lowest required degree for a physical therapy program is a bachelor’s degree. Associate degrees are not accepted. So it is recommended to earn a bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 and above GPA, to get enrolled in a physical therapy school.
Becoming a physical therapist requires enrolling in one of the best physical therapy schools. The good part of this is that several physical therapy schools will help you become a professional physical therapist. That is why, this article has elaborated on the top easiest physical therapy schools to get into to begin your journey.