If you live with Elderly people, you will understand that they need assistance from caregivers. The best free online elderly care courses you can attend to get the best knowledge on how to take proper care of these kinds of persons have been provided for you to make them have wonderful elderly experiences.
In this article, you also will find answers to questions such as; what are elderly care courses for? What are the benefits of free online elderly care courses? What are the requirements for free online elderly care courses?
Caring or caregiving is one of the fastest-growing industries in the world as people live longer also than ever before. When people start to age, they begin to experience some physical and mental challenges. Most times these challenges are very difficult for them to take care of by themselves.
This is to say that, they require an extra hand to help them through this period. All the changes associated with aging are grouped into four stages, and each stage has some specific changes attributed to it.
For one to get all the pieces of information and acquire all the necessary skills required to become a specialist in this field, there are a couple of processes involved, of which the most important of them all is studying elderly care courses.
There are several types of elderly care courses available for people who wish to acquire intensive knowledge on how to take proper care of the elderly. These courses are available both online and offline. So, if you have been looking for a free and online elderly course to study then this article will be of very great help to you.
Here, we listed out the 8 best free online elderly care courses, the benefits of online elderly care courses, and the requirements for studying these courses, therefore, creating for you the opportunity to choose from the best. Before we proceed with listing the courses, you can also check out the free online classes for adults.
What are Elderly Care Courses for?
Elderly care courses provide caregivers an intensive knowledge about the elderly and help them acquire essential skills necessary for providing effective and compassionate care to them.
During the period of studying these courses, they learn how to handle elders suffering from different mental and physical health conditions, which are caused by aging and traumatic injuries.
Certified elderly caregivers have a great opportunity to attain a higher office in their field of specialization because they have a broader understanding of concepts and skills that necessitates effective and efficient caregiving.
Caregivers of the elderly are encouraged to participate in formal training to ensure that their patients are being given the highest quality care.
Benefits of Online Elderly Care Courses
Online Learning, also referred to as E-Learning is gradually taking over from its latter -classroom learning. Today, most people prefer using the internet to study rather than studying with books or other print media.
As a caregiver, learning free online elderly care courses will benefit you in various ways. Take a look at some of the benefits below.
- Studying online allows you to study at any time of your choice. The internet can be accessed at any time, thereby making it possible for learners to have their own time of studying rather than being subjected to a fixed learning period which may be inconvenient for them.
- When you study online, you will have the benefit of getting more information about elderly care courses from different sources, and this makes you have a broader knowledge of the course.
- Since it is online, you can quickly log in to the internet and source for information rather than spend money on books or other forms of print media to study with. Also, books are static and have lesser content which can limit one from getting quality information. Unlike books, the internet is flexible and new information can be updated anytime.
- Another significant benefit of online elderly care courses is that learners can obtain a certificate of completion after they have completed an elderly care training test of their choice. This is to say that, you become a certified caregiver through online study.
- Also, it gives learners who are engaged with some other work like renewable energy engineering the space to combine both learning and working since they don’t need to go to a physical classroom before they can learn.
- Attending an online elderly care course provides learners with the opportunity to have online documentation of all the activities and processes that were involved during their period of learning. These activities and certificates obtained online can be accessed and retrieved at any time.
- It helps in keeping one updated both in the development of new methods of doing things related to elderly caregiving and also to advance further in some experiences.
Requirements for free online elderly care courses
Caregivers may differ in their qualifications and job titles, although their characteristics are often similar.
- The minimum education requirement for medium Caregivers is a high school diploma or GED. This means that you must possess either of the two certificates before you can apply for an elderly care course. There’s no educational requirement for lower caregivers.
- Learners must be aged 16 years or above to qualify
- Learners from all academic backgrounds are qualified for free online elderly care courses.
- Good understanding of English language, numeracy, and ICT are required to attend these courses
- Applicants must be physically and mentally well.
8 Best Free Online Elderly Care Courses
Below is a list of free online geriatric care courses for persons in the position of taking care of the elderly.
- Dementia Care
- Dementia and Diversity in Primary Care
- Falls Prevention Awareness
- Technology Enabled Care
- Easing the burden of obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease
- End of Life Care
- Adult Nursing and Social Care
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults.
Dementia refers to a spectrum of brain disorders that involve difficulty with memory and thinking. This course will introduce you to the main symptoms and treatments of dementia as well as Alzheimer’s disease. You will also learn about the characteristics of people with dementia and the guidelines for choosing activities that are stimulating for them.
Dementia and Diversity in Primary Care
This course is designed to help healthcare providers recognize dementia, select culturally appropriate assessment tools, and communicate effectively about dementia care in ethnically and racially diverse populations.
It will introduce primary care physicians and members of their care teams to the “orthogeriatric imperative” and its impact on dementia
Falls Prevention Awareness
Falls have been the most common and serious type of accident experienced by people over 65 for many years, as well as the leading cause of death from injury for people aged over 75.
This course will equip learners with a detailed understanding of the impact and consequences of a fall, the risks and hazards that could result in a fall, and how to prevent or reduce the risk of falls.
Technology Enabled Care
In this fast-moving world, technology plays a huge part in daily life, and the care sector is no different. Technology Enabled Care (TEC) is playing an increasing role in health and social care, with millions of people relying on TEC to support independence in their own homes.
This course will provide all you need to know about using technology to give care to elderly people.
Easing the burden of obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease
This course is multidisciplinary in nature and aims to equip the global audience of interested lay people, people with chronic disease, public health researchers, health clinicians, students, administrators, and researchers to reflect on the overall impact of the burden of chronic disease
End of Life Care
Death itself may be certain, but how we die involves many challenges. In this course, you’ll explore the care we receive when dying, cultural variations and beliefs around what makes a good death, and the planning and timing of death.
Adult Nursing and Social Care
Learn about various aspects of working in social care, skills to communicate clearly, what opportunities are available to you after completing the course and how this certificate can help you further your goals and allow you to make the kind of positive impact that you want to make.
Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults
This free online caregiving course teaches you how to protect vulnerable people and raise concerns regarding their wellbeing. We explain “Disclosure and Barring Service” checks that prevent harm befalling British children and certain adults. We also cover the different ways to share information with relevant bodies regarding abuse and neglect.
Free Online Elderly Care Courses – FAQs
Is Caregiver Certification Required?
Becoming a certified caregiver establishes you as an expert in your field. Furthermore, some organizations, like nursing homes or assisted living facilities, only hire certified caregivers.
However, those who assist with ADLs, provide companionship, or help with other essential tasks don’t always need caregiver certification.
Typically, Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs), Home Health Aides (HHAs), and other professionals that offer medical support need to be licensed.
Additionally, certification is necessary for services that are entitled to Medicare payments. Federal law requires that Medicare-certified caregiving agencies hire certified caregivers for services that are eligible for Medicare.
The types of caregivers that do not need certification include:
Certification isn’t required for these caregivers because they provide non-medical services.
Can I Obtain a Caregiver Certificate from Online Elderly Care Courses?
Learners can obtain a certificate of completion from online elderly care courses after they have completed their program tests.
What Are The Levels of Caregiving?
Generally, caregiving is organized into three levels; high, medium, and low levels.
Can I Use A Certificate I obtained From the Online Elderly Care course To Apply For A Job?
The online school from where you obtained the certificate must be accredited by the accreditation body of your state for it to become legal for a job application. This is to say that, you can apply for a job with an online elderly care course certificate.
- 11 free online dental courses with certificates
- Top 12 free online books to read for adults
- 10 best free online care courses with certificates
- 12 best free online courses in education
- 10 free online certificate courses in public health