Applications for 2019 Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls – South Africa are now open. The Academy is a female boarding school founded by Oprah Winfrey with the goal of providing educational and leadership opportunities for academically gifted girls from impoverished backgrounds.
The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls – South Africa admits students of any race, colour, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programmes and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the Academy.
It does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programmes, athletic, cultural, residential and other school- administered programmes.
What You Need To Know About The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academic Scholarship for Girls
The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls – South Africa is a residential boarding, special learning school with 300 students enrolled in Grades 8 -12.
The Academy teaches the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB MYP) in Grades 8 – 10. Grade 12 students write the Independent Examination Board (I.E.B.) NSC Examination.
Level/Field of Study
application is for girls in Grade 8 -12, with an avenue to nurture and develop their leadership, intellectual and social potential.
The scholarship is open to South African National only.
The scholarship is a fully founded scholarship for female students that want to further their education.
Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academic Scholarship for Girls Eligibility:
Students qualify to apply if they are girls who:
- Are currently in Grades 7, 8 or 9
- Display leadership potential
- Are South African citizens or permanent residents
- Display academic talent
- Are in a family whose total household income is less than R10,000 per month
How to Apply Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academic Scholarship for Girls :
Once all applications have been received and screened, testing will be arranged for those applicants who meet the criteria. There are several stages to the selection process:
- Stage 1: Entrance tests: Applicants who meet the initial criteria will be invited to write entrance tests, which will be held at a number of different venues throughout South Africa.
- Stage 2: More extensive testing – academic and leadership potential: Further selection and more extensive testing of academic and leadership potential will follow.
- Stage 3: Selection camps – clinical interviews and a range of psychological assessments: Final selection camps, lasting 2 or 3 days, will be held at the Academy later in the year.
- Stage 4: Home visits and registration: All successful students will be registered at their homes at the end of the process.
Applications will be disqualified if you fail to submit all the required documents. Should any information submitted be found to be incorrect or untruthful, your application will be disqualified.
A reference check will be conducted for every application. If you have not heard from the Academy by 15 March 2018 your application has not been successful.
Download the application form.
For more information, visit Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy.
Completed application forms must be addressed and sent to:
Attention: Student Recruitment
P O Box 1485, Henley on Klip, 1962
Fax: +27 (0) 16 366 9004
Once all applications have been received and screened, testing will be arranged for those applicants who meet the criteria. There are several stages to the selection process.