The United Nations University is now accepting applications for the PhD in Sustainability Science (2019) Scholarships for Developing Countries. The scholarship is available to the applicants who must be from developing countries and can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. The program offers unique opportunities to interact with leading scholars and policymakers through lectures, international conferences, and workshops.
The United Nations University (UNU) is a global think tank and postgraduate learning organization with headquarters in Japan. The mission of the UNU is to contribute to efforts to solve global problems of human existence, development, and welfare through cooperative research and education, which concern the United Nations, its people, and member states.
PhD Scholarships for Students From Developing Countries in Japan, 2019
- Applications Deadline: April 19, 2019
- Course Level: The scholarship is open to pursuing the Ph.D. program.
- Study Subject: the scholarship will be awarded in the field of sustainability
- Scholarship Award: The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
To be eligible, the applicants must be following all the given criteria:
- Eligible Countries: Scholarships are available to students from all around the world.
- Entrance Requirements:
- Applicants must be from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second Ph.D. degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Admission Requirements: Applicants for the Ph.D. in Sustainability Science are required to have met all of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
- A strong interest in sustainability studies;
- A demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- A completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
- A minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes which were acquired after obtaining a university degree
- Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in a discipline related to sustainability studies;
Those who expect to receive a second Master’s degree before the entrance period – September 2019 – may also apply.
- A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
- English language proficiency: The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are:
- 600 on TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT) OR
- 100 on TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT) OR
- 0 on IELTS – Academic format
- Applicants, except for the cases below, must submit original TOEFL or IELTS score reports (from a test taken within the last two years) to the Admissions Office at the time of application:
- Applicants whose native language is English.
- Applicants who graduated from a university or a postgraduate school located in an English speaking country.
- Applicants who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme where the language of instruction and examination was English. In this case, an official statement from the academic institution will be required, confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination.
There is no separate application form for the scholarship as it is a part of the online application for admission.
Interested applicants must provide the necessary information and documents for the scholarship together with the required documents for admission to the PhD degree programme.
Study Abroad Nations.We have written hundreds of guides that have helped millions of students across the globe. You can connect with us anytime through any of our social media platforms or via email.