Looking for the Best Universities in New York for International Students? Here’s what you have been looking for.
One of the popular destinations in the United States for international students is New York. New York City is not only popular for the statue of liberty but also for its dense educational concentration when it comes to tertiary education for international students.
There are several universities in the city of New York for international students but these universities have been ranked by several agencies such as Higher Education, QS ranking, Niche, etc., and in this article, we’re going to take a look at the best of these rankings.
Meanwhile, look at the table of content for an overview of what to expect n this article.
Best Universities in New York for International Students
From the latest rankings, the top ten best universities in New York for international students include:
Columbia University is another one on our list of Best Universities in New York for International Students. It has for more than 250 years, been a stronghold of education in the city of New York for international students.
With over 17,000 students representing a diverse of 145 countries, the university offers an outstanding and comprehensive list of academic programs to international students.
These programs are offered through three undergraduate schools, thirteen graduate and professional schools, a world-renowned medical center, four affiliated colleges and seminaries, twenty-five libraries, centers for the arts, and more than one hundred research centers and institutes.
New York University (NYU)
Ranked second in the New York city by QS ranking and 9th in the list of country ranking by the same agency, the prestigious university founded in 1831 offers a plethora number of programs through 19 schools and colleges, with degree-awarding campuses in New York, Abu Dhabi, and Shanghai, as well as 11 study away sites.
The university admits more international students and more students studying abroad than any other US university while supporting them with scholarships.
Read: 10 Best 4-Week Certificate Programs Online
A private research university, Cornell University was founded in 1865, has 10% and 46% of its undergraduate and graduate student body being international students, with a student body that totals over 23,620 as of the fall of 2020.
The university has been a top site for international students as it has alumni who have been revolutionary effects on the world in extension.
Fordham University; the Jesuit University of New York was founded in 1841 and offers quality education to international students in 5 campuses that are all located in the town city of New York.
It enrolls over 16,364 students every year with a substantial amount of that being international students from a plethora of foreign countries.
Fordham is one of 418 institutions classified as a Doctoral University or Doctoral/Professional University, and one of 135 Doctoral Universities classified as High Research Activity.
A public college located in New York City, the university houses more than 19,000 students from over 110 countries as a big part of its tradition being its incorporation policy of diverse students.
It was founded in 1847 and offers more than 29 undergraduate programs, 60 undergraduate minors, 2 doctoral specializations, and others.
CUNY Hunter College
Scouted as one of the most affordable and best universities in the city of New York, the university has more than 170 areas of study and 23,000 students while having a mission of delivering quality affordable education to education, and this mantra has seen 75% of its graduates being student-debt free as of 2021.
Also Read: 15 Best Electrical Engineering Schools in the World
Pace University-New York
A private university with three campuses, it also offers online programs to international students in six colleges and a plethora of courses. It houses more than 12,000 students with more than 7,000 students being undergraduates and 4,000 being graduates. 11% of its student body are international students with 120 different countries being represented.
Yeshiva University has been offering education to international students for 134 years and has 4 in-persons and online campus locations with an alumni network of over 70,000 graduates. Programs are offered in 11 schools and three affiliate schools.
CUNY Queens College
CUNY is one of the Best Universities in New York for International Students. It is a highly rated college that offers liberal arts and sciences and preprofessional programs to international students; the college uses its beautiful 80-acre campus to serve over 20,000 students who come from a plethora of 145 countries and speak 87 languages.
CUNY Queens College has over 600 full-time faculty members; nearly 90% have a terminal degree in their fields (not all fields offer doctorates), and 66% have tenure.
CUNY City College
With over 16,000 students, this highly ranked university is ranked #1 by The Chronicle of Higher Education out of 369 selective public colleges in the United States on the overall mobility index.
Founded in 1847, there are more than 150 nationalities represented as a form of international presence in the university. More so, the Center for World University Rankings places CCNY in the top 1.2% of universities worldwide in terms of academic excellence.
Why Study In New York?
There are unlimited attractive reasons that would compel students to study in New York. There have been a lot of reviews by students who have been to New York and studied there, and truly, it is one of the best studying locations for international students. Some of the reasons students would study in New York are but are not limited to:
- New York is a hub for international students with more than 100,000 students from around the world studying in New York in 2017, which is 11% of all international students coming to the United States. The city also has over 400 colleges and universities open to international students.
- America’s land of opportunity: Life after graduation is one of the most important aspects to consider before choosing a college. In New York, there are a plethora of more than 500 companies that are open to employing students and offering them internships.
- Easy Navigation: With good road networks and urban communities, New York offers the best modern life to international students
- The city is home to citizens from over 110 countries and this feature offers a lot of diverse international experiences to students
Requirements to Study in New York
The requirements to study in New York divers based on the university, however, there are some basic requirements expected to be met by international students before they can be allowed to study in New York. The requirements to study in New York include:
For an undergraduate program;
- An internationally recognized equivalent, such as the IB Diploma; or
- An A-level equivalent (neither O-levels nor (I)GCSE results will be sufficient for admission); or
- A foundation year program outside of the United States; or
- The highest degree earned by the time you plan to enroll at NYU is either a certificate or diploma.
Standardized tests required include:
- SAT, ACT, GRE, MCAT, LSAT, TOEFL, IELTS
Types of visas required are:
- F1 Visa, J1 Visa, and M1 Visa as well as Health Insurance. In these visas, there are requirements such as financial and academic eligibilities.
How do I join universities in New York for international students?
Applications for universities in New York are mostly in three phases every year and applicants or international students can apply and join universities in New York need documents such as
- A two-page statement of purpose
- An official transcript (uploaded during the online application).
- Research statement
- An official transcript from all universities attended
- Letters of recommendation
- GRE/GMAT scores and TOEFL scores
Frequently Asked Questions on Best Universities in New York for International Students
Here are a few frequently asked questions on the best universities in New York for international students
Q: Do New York universities accept international students?
Q: Is it hard for international students to get into universities in New York?
A: No. It is relatively easy as long as the student satisfies the admission criteria
Schooling in the city of New York is a massive and life-enhancing experience for international students, as the city offers to its international community a lot of diverse cultures and experiences due to its dense, diverse population.
International students will have advantages on the educational facet of this due to the economic robustness of the city. In synopsis, studying in New York is an amazing opportunity for an international student from any part of the world and studying in one of these Best Universities in New York for International Students is what you should do.
- Top 15 Engineering Universities in Ontario
- Top 15 Best Engineering Universities In Africa
- Top 15 Engineering Universities in Ontario
- 8 Best Medium-Sized Engineering Colleges for Students
- 5 Best Engineering Schools In Canada With Scholarships
- 15 Best Electrical Engineering Schools in the World
- 12 Top Masters in Renewable Energy Engineering