This is a fully updated article on the best engineering schools in Canada with scholarships they provide to students.
Engineering is an important choice of study, the field has been in existence for a very long time and has seen a lot of modification as the world evolves. Engineering is needed in almost every field of study but depending on the kind, the modern world introduced other forms of engineering which have contributed majorly to the world at large.
Studying engineering requires a lot of hard work, passion, and zeal, and a good institution of learning will equally add to your success as an engineering student to achieve your aim, equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge to face the engineering world.
Canada is popularly known as one of the best study destinations on earth, the institutions here offer quality education in any field of study and due to so much investment in education, institutions in Canada have state-of-the-art research facilities to help students improve in practical studies of their study field.
Also, the certificate gotten from Canadian institutions are internationally recognized both by employees and other institutions. So, as an engineering student who has completed their study in Canada, your certificate will be accepted anywhere on earth.
For those seeking Canadian engineering scholarships, this article also reveals a number of these scholarships offered directly by the engineering schools for their applicants and students.
We’ve earlier listed a number of undergraduate scholarships in Canada open for almost all fields of study alongside their corresponding postgraduate scholarships. There is also a number of fully-funded scholarships in Canada that we have written on that are available for both international and Canadian students.
You want to study engineering in Canada but confused about the school to choose?
This article will help you clear the confusion on that and also provide you with the scholarship details of each of the schools. I have come up with a fully updated list of the best engineering schools in Canada along with their scholarship details which could help in funding your studies, cover your living expenses or provide for your school materials.
Also, note that these best engineering Canadian schools also admit international students and they can also apply and qualify for scholarships.
Best Engineering Schools In Canada
After in-depth research, I was able to compile the 5 best engineering schools in Canada with their available scholarship information.
- The University of Toronto, Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
- University of British Columbia Engineering
- McGill University, Faculty of Engineering
- University of Waterloo
- University of Alberta
Below, I’ve listed all the available scholarship opportunities in each of the Canadian engineering schools mentioned above.
The University of Toronto, Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
The University of Toronto’s Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering is one of the best engineering schools in Canada and also, it doubles as one of the most popular engineering schools in Canada. The school is renowned for its major global contribution to the key aspects of life such as human health, water, data analytics, etc.
The faculty produces some of the world’s best researchers and students through rigorous training, unparalleled extracurricular and professional experience opportunities also set up students to become the next generation of leaders and change-makers to unlock the future’s boundless potentials.
This is an institution that every potential engineering students need to be a part of to help bring out these potentials in them and how to manage it for their success. To help students, even more, the institution has a series of scholarship grants which students can apply for to assist and encourage them in their studies.
On record, there are over 20 online courses offered by the University of Toronto for international students.
The University of Toronto continuing education program is also available with almost no academic prerequisite for admission.
Scholarships Awards Offered by the University of Toronto, Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
These scholarships are awarded annually to students who aim to study an engineering course at the University of Toronto and have exhibited exceptional academic performance and are also involved in extra-curricular activities. There are seven of these scholarships and they are;
- Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering Admission Scholarships: This scholarship is for both citizens and international students and doesn’t need to be applied for, students are automatically considered when they apply to the faculty. The scholarship amount is $7,500
- Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering Admission Awards: considered applicants for this award must be an Ontario resident and it is awarded based on excellent academic achievement and financial need. The scholarship worth $10,000.
- University of Canada Engineering International Scholarships: this is a renewable scholarship awarded to only international students who apply to study in the engineering faculty, it requires no application as students are automatically selected based on their academic performance. The scholarship is worth a total of $35,000 for four years of study.
- University of Canada Engineering Entrance Scholarship for Indigenous Students: this is a renewable scholarship open to indigenous applicants and it covers domestic tuition and stipends for four years of the student’s study program.
- Hatch Engineering Aboriginal Scholarship: this scholarship is awarded to incoming indigenous students based on their academic performance, it is $8,000 for four years of the student’s study and it is renewable.
- Stanley Timoshek Scholarship in Engineering: this scholarship is open to an incoming student from Poland based on excellent academic performance.
- J. Dick & Ruth A. Sprenger Scholarship for Mature Students in Engineering: this scholarship is based on academic merit for a mature student residing in Canada or permanent Canadian citizen who begins as a first-year student in Electrical or Computer Engineering. Individuals who have completed a full-time study or have been in the work-force are preferable to win the scholarship and it is renewable for 2-4 years.
University of British Columbia Engineering
UBC Engineering is one of the best engineering schools in Canada and a top-notch faculty filled with professors and renowned researchers committed to an instructional approach that is engaging, experiential, and varied making the UBC engineers stand apart on a strong foundation from which to build an exciting and rewarding career.
With the key aim of creating and applying knowledge for positive changes in society, students who aim to pursue a course in UBC Engineering get to be around these incredible professors and world-class researchers learn and draw inspiration from them, and be part of the community administering positive changes to the society.
The University of British Columbia is also listed among the schools in Canada that provide student aids and full scholarships to Canadian and international students.
Scholarships Award Offered by the University of British Columbia Engineering
UBC Engineering offers a series of scholarships, bursaries, and awards annually to students who aim to pursue an engineering course. The scholarships, bursaries, and awards are won based on the student’s academic performance, a combination of excellent academic achievement with financial needs, leadership or community service achievement.
UBC Engineering has up to 8 different scholarships awarded annually to support and encourage students. These awards are;
- Christopher Spencer Memorial Scholarship in Engineering: this scholarship is open to new students who want to study an engineering course and it is worth $6,700.
- Dean Henry Gunning Award in Engineering: this award is for a domestic student with outstanding performance and demonstrated leadership services, entering the Bachelor of Applied Science program directly from high school. The award amount is $1,200.
- Elizabeth and Leslie Gould Entrance Scholarship for Engineering: this scholarship is offered to an international or domestic student with outstanding academic performance and has shown leadership potential entering their first year of the Bachelor of Applied Science program in Engineering. The scholarship amount is $2,500 and renewable for four years of study does not require an application as students are automatically considered.
- Flour Women in Engineering Entrance Award: this award is open to a female domestic student who is entering the Engineering program directly from high school and has shown both academic excellence and leadership services. The award amount is $10,000.
- Engineering Scholarship for Innovation: this scholarship is awarded to students with outstanding performance in academics and leadership entering directly from high school into the engineering program. The scholarship amount is $5,000 and renewable until the end of the student’s study program.
- Mechanical Engineering Class of 1967 Indigenous Student Entrance Award in Engineering: this award based on academic merits, community, and leadership services. This entrance award is worth $9,250, offered to an indigenous student entering engineering at UBC either from high school or transferring from another university in Canada.
- Women in Engineering Entrance Scholarship: this scholarship is for a domestic female student who wants to pursue an undergraduate degree in engineering, academic excellence, and leadership activities are required to gain this scholarship. The total amount of the scholarship is $10,000
- Yves and Cynthia Bled Women in Engineering Entrance Scholarship: this scholarship is awarded to domestic female students, with outstanding academic performance and who have been involved in leadership activities, who want to study for an undergraduate degree in engineering.
The candidates may be entering directly from high school or transferring from another post-secondary institution. The scholarship is renewable and totals a sum of $3,500.
McGill University, Faculty of Engineering
McGill University, Faculty of Engineering is one of the best engineering schools in Canada offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in engineering courses. The institution is devoted to teaching students how to make insightful choices, be innovative, entrepreneurial, and adopt best practices through its multidisciplinary way of learning that will benefit the world presently and in the future.
To help and encourage students who aim to study engineering at McGill University, the Faculty of Engineering offers scholarships and other forms of financial aid annually to students.
The University is also featured on the list of cheapest universities in Canada.
Scholarships Offered by the University of McGill, Faculty of Engineering
Scholarships and financial aid are awarded annually to students with exceptional potentials in academics and leadership aspects or students with financial needs who want to pursue a degree in the engineering faculty.
These scholarships are;
- Entrance Scholarships: This scholarship does not require candidates to apply as they are selected at the time of admission, they are awarded this scholarship as a result of their academic excellence. The scholarship amount ranges around the sum of $3,000 to $10,000 per year and it can be renewable till the end of the student’s four-year program.
- Internal Scholarships: It is awarded through the Student Affairs Office while a student is registered in their engineering programs. Internal scholarships are available to outstanding undergraduate students that have also contributed to the university and have completed at least one year of a BEng program.
The scholarship amount is $10,000 and renewable for 3 years
- Bursaries and Loans: This is for students with financial difficulties, they can apply for McGill bursaries and loans to further their studies and pay back later in an agreed period with reasonable interest.
The University of Waterloo, Faculty of Engineering
The University of Waterloo is an institution at the forefront of innovation and a place of inspired learning dealing more on research that propels society, industries, and organizations. Students are equipped with research skills, knowledge, and techniques that will show their work to the world and contribute in any way they can.
The institution’s faculty of engineering is one of Canada’s best engineering schools and one of the largest as well, which is committed to lead engineering education, research, creativity, and innovation.
The University of Waterloo, Faculty of Engineering as one of the most popular engineering schools In Canada offers scholarships to students who want to study an engineering program and some of the scholarships do not require an application.
The University of Waterloo is also featured as one of the best universities in Canada to study structural engineering.
Scholarships Offered by the University of Waterloo, Faculty of Engineering
Schulich Leader Scholarship: This scholarship is applicable and awarded to domestic candidates with academic excellence, leadership demonstration, and entrepreneurial-minded high school graduates enrolling in a science, technology, engineering, or math program. The scholarship is worth a total sum of $100,000.
Other general scholarships without application include:
President’s Scholarship of Distinction
Entrance Scholarships Sponsored by Alumni and Donors
These scholarships all have the same characteristics, they are not applicable and are awarded to undergraduate students in any field of study thus engineering students can get it too. They are also awarded based on outstanding academic performance and leadership activities.
The University of Alberta, Faculty of Engineering
According to global rankings, the University of Alberta is among the top 5 Canadian universities, and the university houses one of the best engineering schools in Canada. Known as a comprehensive academic and research university offering a wide range of academic and professional programs for students to apply and become what they have always wanted to be academy-wise.
The University of Alberta, Faculty of Engineering has world-class research facilities for students to apply the knowledge they learn in classrooms to real-life situations making it one of the leading institutions in engineering research in Canada.
As one of the best engineering schools In Canada, the school assists and encourage students who aim to study engineering at the University of Alberta with a series of scholarships worth millions of dollars broken down into several categories.
Scholarships Offered by the University of Alberta, Faculty of Engineering
- Entrance Awards: these are awards to students who are entering the first-year engineering program from high school and there are hundreds of this kind of awards ranging from $1,000 to $50, 000. Students with academic excellence and leadership potentials are preferred to win this scholarship.
- Awards for Continuing Students: this award is for students who have completed at least one year in BEng, preferred candidates should have outstanding academic performance and leadership demonstration. The scholarship value ranges up to $10,000.
- External Awards and Bursaries by Application: the award criteria and application process vary from award to award and in some cases can be quite extensive.
There you have the full list of the best engineering schools in Canada with scholarships and to be eligible for the scholarships you must work hard academically.
This compiled list of the 5 best engineering schools in Canada with scholarships will help you in picking an institution that will help shape your engineering potentials and creativity into a career that you, the society, and the world as a whole will benefit from.