In this article is a detailed list of the best post graduate scholarships In Canada for both domestic and international students covering up to full academic expenses for all students and flight expenses for international students.
Hello everyone, it’s your favourite writer, Francis. I found out a lot of you are now seriously seeking for Postgraduate scholarships and it would be unkind of me not to help out the little I can. Here, I have compiled a list of the top 10 best post-graduate scholarships in Canada for international students but you have to know that some of them are also open for domestic students too.
Last time I wrote about the top 10 best undergraduate scholarships in Canada and I know that was of help to undergraduate scholarship seekers reading this blog, I also directed all our readers seeking for scholarship to check out the top 10 secrets to win any scholarship as we’ve shared earlier.
10 Best Post Graduate Scholarships In Canada
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) is the best post-graduate scholarship in Canada fully funded by the Canadian government for both domestic and international graduate students in Canada.
The Vanier CGS was launched by the Canadian government with the intentions to;
- Improve Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class and highly qualified Ph.D. students, and
- Establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher education.
Like I already wrote above, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is the best post-graduate scholarship in Canada currently as it is being fully funded by the Canadian government itself.
To be considered for the Vanier Scholarship, you need to demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of academic achievement in Masters’ programs in Engineering, Natural Sciences, Health, Social Sciences or Humanities.
The Canadian Government awards up to 167 scholarships annually under the Vanier CGS scheme. At any time, there are a total of up to 500 students with Vanier scholarships for their Ph.D. programs in various Canadian institutions.
Requirements for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- You should first be enrolled in a PhD program at some Canadian university
- The scholarship is valued at $50,000 per year for three years during doctoral studies
- In order to be eligible, there are three equally weighted evaluation criteria: academic excellence, research potential, and leadership
- Candidates must be nominated by the Canadian Institution at which they want to study
- Around 200 students every year get this scholarship to study at the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia, the University of Waterloo, the University of Alberta and nearly 100 other Canadian institutions.
Ontario Graduate Scholarship
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) is widely recognized as one of the best post graduate scholarships in Canada and it is funded by the provincial government of Ontario to encourage excellence in graduate studies at the master’s and doctoral levels.
It is a merit-based scholarship and awards are available to students, including international students, in all disciplines of academic study.
It is valued at $15,000 per year
The minimum duration the scholarship may be held for is two consecutive terms
Be an international student studying in Ontario with a student study permit to be eligible for this award.
Trudeau Foundation Scholarships
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation doctoral scholarships in the humanities and social sciences are special in terms of scope and stature in the country.
Each year, up to fifteen scholarships are awarded to Canadian and foreign doctoral candidates under this scholarship scheme. Students, who are enrolled full-time and in their first or second year (or in the process of enrolling) of a doctoral program in the Humanities and Social Sciences, can apply for this scholarship.
The Trudeau Foundation doctoral scholarship is one of the post graduate scholarships in Canada with a financial value higher than that of the Vanier Canada Graduate scholarship program. Its annual value is up to $60,000 per scholar for a maximum of three years.
Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Full-time first or second-year students enrolled (or in the process of enrolling) in a doctoral program in the humanities and social sciences.
- Up to one scholar in four per given year may be a non-Canadian (permanent resident or foreign national) enrolled full-time in a doctoral program at a Canadian institution. This applies in particular to students from emerging nations.
- Applicant must be in the fields of research in Humanities and Social Sciences for which this award is given: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada in the World, and People and their Natural Environment.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are offered by the Canadian government to Canadian citizens, Permanent residents of Canada and Foreign citizens (international students) undertaking postgraduate study within the field of Health research, Natural sciences and/or engineering and Social sciences and/or humanities.
70 fellowships are awarded annually; a total of up to 140 awards are active at any time.
The scholarship is valued at $70,000 per year and lasts for a maximum of 2 years under which your certainly expected to have completed your post doctoral program.
Application for this scholarship opens annually by April – September and the application deadline is unusually first of October.
Applicants seek endorsement from host institutions to apply, prepare and submit application. Please do note that these institutions may have different internal deadlines from that of the general banting deadline that you will need to meet up with.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Eligibility Requirements
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s Program
As one of the top 10 best post graduate scholarships in Canada, the objective of this scholarship program is to help develop research skills and assist in the training of highly qualified personnel by supporting students who demonstrate a high standard of achievement in undergraduate and early graduate studies.
The scholarship is generally valued at $17,500 for 12 months and is non renewable once the 12 months elapses.
Canada Graduate Scholarships Eligibility Requirement
- Applicant must be enrolled in, have applied for, or will apply for full-time admission to an eligible graduate program at the master’s or doctoral level at a Canadian institution with a CGS M allocation.
University of Waterloo International Master’s and Doctoral Awards
The International Master’s and Doctoral Student Awards at the University of Waterloo are great funding opportunities for international students.
The scholarship is valued at $2,045 per term for 2 years (Master’s) or $4,090 per term for 3 years (Ph.D.) and all international students who meet the eligibility criteria stand a chance to benefit from this scholarship program.
- Eligible students must be enrolled full-time in research-based graduate degree programs at the University of Waterloo and hold a valid Canadian study permit
- Students must meet the academic progress requirements of their program, and not have outstanding probationary admission requirements, or be concurrently receiving external awards or sponsorships, or be self-funded
In addition, there are many more post graduate scholarships available for international students at the university of Waterloo that you can apply for if eligible.
Most of these scholarships are given based on scholastic excellence and demonstrated interest in pursuing research in specific areas. Check out the list below for some of them that you can search for.
Other Post Graduate Scholarship at University of Waterloo
- Alan Plumtree Graduate Scholarship in Mechanical & Mechatronics Engineering ($20,000)
- Conrad Family Scholarships for Master’s in Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology (MBET) program ($10,000 to $20,000)
- Devani Charities Graduate Engineering Entrance Scholarship ($1,500)
- Emergency Loan – Interest-free emergency loans are available to full-time graduate students who are experiencing short-term financial difficulty
- Hira and Kamal Ahuja International Graduate Scholarship ($20,000)
- Jensen Hughes Graduate Fire Safety Award ($4,000)
- Kevin Kimsa MBET Graduate Scholarship ($10,000)
- Neelanjana Pal Memorial Scholarship ($3,250)
- Norman Esch Graduate Scholarship ($10,000)
- Roman Baldur Memorial Engineering Award ($2,250)
- SNC-Lavalin Graduate Scholarship in Engineering ($5,000)
- Stantec Graduate Scholarship in Civil Engineering ($3,000)
- Robbert Hartog Graduate Scholarship
- Richard and Elizabeth Madter Graduate Award in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships
The University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships (UMGF) are merit-based awards ranked among the top 10 best post graduate scholarships in Canada that are open to students of all nationalities who will be registered as full-time graduate students (Masters or Ph.D.) at the University of Manitoba.
The scholarship is valued at $18,000 (PhD) and $14,000 (Master’s) for a 12-month period and is non refundable. Succesful applicants are eligible to receive this fellowships for the first 24 months of their Master’s program and the first 48 months of their Ph.D. program.
University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship Eligibility Requirements
- Students with a minimum GPA of 3.75 (above B+) in each of the last two years of study at a recognized university based on a Bachelor, Master’s Graduate Diploma or a Doctoral Degree
- Students in all fields of graduate study with the exception of those in the College of Medicine and in the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program are eligible to apply.
University of Calgary Graduate Awards
University of Calgary administers a number of postgraduate scholarships in Canada which are anyway only tenable at the university.
International students are eligible to apply for many of these scholarships and awards administered through the University of Calgary Graduate Scholarship Office as most of the awards are open to all students.
You may apply for awards after you have submitted an application for admission and received a University of Calgary student number. You need to apply for any of the awards you qualify for separately as there is no automatic considerations for any of them.
There are several postgraduate scholarships at the University of Calgary and all of the available scholarships and financial awards ranges from $1,000 to $40,000 and covers different fields of study.
Graduate Award Competitions
The following post graduate scholarships in Canada are offered at a value as high as $36,000, and are awarded through the annual Graduate Award Competition which has been featured severally on the list of top best post-graduate scholarships in Canada;
- Izaak Walton Killam Doctoral Scholarships
- Open Doctoral Scholarships
- Special Awards
To be eligible, students must have achieved a first-class average, as determined by the university issuing the transcripts, in his or her last two completed years of study (full-time equivalent).
Only one application needs to be submitted band there is an annual deadline set at February 1st for this opportunity yearly. Results are announced between April and June for various awards.
UBC Graduate Global Leadership Fellowships
The Graduate Global Leadership Fellowships is among the best post-graduate scholarships in Canada for international students.
Tis scholarship enables promising leaders from developing countries to pursue doctoral studies at UBC. The fellowships aim to support international students showing outstanding leadership in humanitarian and development work in their home country.
To qualify for the Graduate Global Leadership Fellowships, you have to be a citizen of a developing country such as India, Ghana, Nigeria, Liberia et all.
This scholarship is available yearly and is valued at $18,200 per year plus full tuition for four years for all successful applicants.
I hope this detailed list of best post-graduate scholarships in Canada is able to give all international students seeking for post graduate scholarships aroad or in their home country on this page a clue of the opportunities awaiting them in Canada.
We make announcements here on this blog whenever any of these scholarships are released so hang on with us.