The beauty of being a student in one of the Caribbean medical schools is not only that the fees are affordable, but that they offer top-notch academic services coupled with a stunning environment that gives room to have a wonderful study experience.
Before now, the Caribbean region’s popularity was traced to the nature of its environment containing stunning coasts, sandy beaches, and water lakes, which attracted a huge number of people including tourists to spend their holidays.
The region served as a platform where people of different calibers gather to spend their vacations, enjoy the sights of the beautiful landscapes, and share ideas together. As a matter of fact, countries situated in the Caribbean regions were referred to as tropical paradises.
Recently, the high inflow of students to the Caribbean colleges due to the top-notch educational services has added to its popularity. Occasionally, a huge number of students are trooping to either complete or further their studies in one of the Caribbean schools.
To ensure that the quality and standard of education dished out are maintained, the Caribbean region established the Association of Caribbean Tertiary Institutions. So, if you are a prospective student looking forward to studying medicine in one of the Caribbean schools, high-quality education is guaranteed.
There are numerous top medical schools without fees, but when you chose to study medicine in a Caribbean region, the importance of going to accredited schools cannot be overemphasized.
One of the pieces of advice I give to medical students is that while waiting to gain admission into medical school, you can use the online medical courses taught freely to equip yourself with some medical knowledge, and even after you have gotten admission, you can download some free medical books online to help you out in your studies.
In this article, we will be exploring how to get admitted into any of the cheap Caribbean medical schools. We will also be seeing the list of some of these schools. I indulge you to follow me closely as I unveil all you need to know.
Check out this post on the cost of studying at a Caribbean medical school, it will give you more insights.
Things You Need To Get Into A Caribbean Medical School
Getting admission into a Caribbean medical school is not as competitive as the colleges of medicine in the USA or Canada, however, there are things you need to put in check before hitting the application button for college admission.
It is also important to note that the requirements vary from school to school, but below are the basic requirements needed for getting into a Caribbean medical school.
- You must possess a degree in a science field from a recognized or accredited institution.
- You must have the maximum GPA required for admission.
- You must take and submit the scores of your MCAT exam.
- You must have your recommendations and a well-written essay.
- You must be able to present all official transcripts and documents from past institutions attended.
- You must have your resume and cover letters.
Benefits Of Going To Medical Schools In The Caribbean
The benefits of enrolling in Caribbean medical schools are too numerous. Below are some of them;
- The process of admission or getting into medical schools in the Caribbean is easier, compared to the other medical colleges.
- They offer high-quality educational services with small class sizes and personalized coaching.
- Caribbean schools offer their clinical rotation in the U.S.
- They are relatively affordable and have rolling admission which means that you can apply at any time of the year.
- You tend to have an awesome experience with the beautiful landscapes and water bodies which brings about relaxation and enjoyment.
- The schools are affiliated with other colleges in countries such as Canada and USA which gives opportunities for the same clinical exposure and exams as other original university students.
How To Apply To A Caribbean Medical School
Here are the methods by which you can apply to a Caribbean medical school.
Firstly, you can send a direct application to each individual medical school you are interested in. This means that if you are interested in numerous Caribbean medical schools, you will apply separately to each one. Then, you will also be providing the following;
- All official documents or transcripts from the past institutions attended.
- The proof of passing all the entry requirements.
- The scores of the admission tests taken.
- Your recommendation letters, essay, and curriculum vitae.
Secondly, you can apply using the Universal Medical College Application Service (UMCAS), which allows you to apply to multiple Caribbean medical schools at the same time. All you have to do is;
- Create your profile in UMCAS by filling out the universal application.
- Upload all the documents required for the application.
- Apply to the schools of your choice after going through the list of the participating schools.
- Save time and money that may have been spent on direct application to multiple schools.
Cheap Caribbean Medical Schools
Below is the list of some cheap Caribbean medical schools. Do follow closely as I list and explain them. The data are gotten from research on sources like US College International, and individual school websites.
- Georgetown American University School Of Medicine
- American International Medical University
- All Saints University School Of Medicine, Dominica
- All American Institute Of Medical Sciences
- Windsor University School Of Medicine
- American University Of St. Vincent
1. Georgetown American University School Of Medicine
Georgetown American University School of Medicine is one of the affordable medical schools in the Caribbean. It is located in the capital city of Guyana, Georgetown; one of the world’s most culturally diverse cities.
The school aims at using innovative research and healthcare delivery to create and nurture a diverse student body committed to alleviating human suffering caused by illness, and also contribute internationally by enhancing the clinical delivery system through relationships with community hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare providers.
GAU school of medicine has robust clinical programs, a high board exam pass rate, and addresses the need for physician diversity. The students also have access to financial aid which includes scholarships and payment plans.
Tuition fee: $11,500 annually
You can use this link to apply to the school.
2. American International Medical University
American International Medical University is also one of the cheap Caribbean medical schools located on the Caribbean Island of St. Lucia.
The school is an international college for medical studies reputed for excellence in academics, and partners with other best medical institutions to dish out high-quality medical education. Upon graduation, all successful medicine and nursing graduates are eligible for licensing process in the USA, Canada, and other countries.
Tuition fee: $12,000 annually
3. All Saints University School Of Medicine, Dominica
Another affordable medical school in the Caribbean is All Saints University School Of Medicine, Dominica. It is located in the Caribbean with its campus at Roseau, Dominica, and is administered from Toronto, Ontario.
The school is one of the most affordable accredited medical schools which provides affordable tuition, a wide range of scholarships, and extensive financial aid options. It is also consistently ranked among the top primary medical schools and has small class sizes which give room for personalized coaching and individual learning experience.
Upon graduation, students secure residencies and become licensed doctors in the United States, Canada, Dominica, and other UN countries.
Tuition fee: $11,500 annually
4. All American Institute Of Medical Sciences
Next on the list of cheap medical schools in the Caribbean is the All American Institute Of Medical Sciences which is located in the town of Black River, St. Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica.
The institution is a premier medical school in the Caribbean, which aims at building physicians and health practitioners that will serve the community, and also lifelong learners who are committed to excellence, leadership, faith, and service using necessary resources.
AAIMS offers a wide range of programs for students pursuing a career in medicine, and also accepts transfer students from other institutions who wish to complete their remaining coursework at AAIMS, having met the admission requirements.
Tuition fee: $8,400 annually
5. Windsor University School Of Medicine
Windsor University School of Medicine is another one of the cheap Caribbean medical schools located in Saint Mary Cayon Parish, Saint Kitts, and Nevis in the Caribbean. The school offers quality medical education, diverse clinical experience, state-of-the-art learning tools, an optimal learning environment, and digital classrooms.
It is for those who aim at pursuing the MD program and a lucrative career in medicine as it teaches students how to treat patients by utilizing cutting-edge medical technologies and resources. Upon graduation as a WUSOM student, you must have acquired unique experiences coupled with leadership skills that will enable you to easily match into residency programs in the U.S and Canada.
Tuition fee: $11,700 annually
6. American University Of St. Vincent
Another one of the cheap Caribbean medical schools is the American University of St. Vincent which offers an outstanding academic program, stunning experiences, comprehensive scholar support, friendly campus culture, and a student-friendly environment.
The school is a vibrant medical school with qualified and dedicated faculty who are committed to nurturing professionals passionate about their chosen field. The institution also uses a basic science curriculum to provide a broad-based foundation of knowledge on which students can build their understanding of the complex human biological system.
The American University of St. Vincent is run by a collaborative consortium of leading physicians and educators with the aim of advancing healthcare and education through the development of innovative educational procedures.
Tuition fee: $6,000 annually
This article has extensively explained all you need to know concerning the cheap Caribbean medical schools. I hope you make good use of the details provided. I also wish you luck as you apply.
Do look at the frequently asked question below to gain more insights.
Cheap Caribbean Medical School- FAQs
Here is one of the frequently asked questions about cheap Caribbean medical schools. Go through it carefully.
[sc_fs_faq html=”true” headline=”h3″ img=”” question=”What Is The Cheapest Medical School In The Caribbean?” img_alt=”” css_class=””] According to US College International, the cheapest medical school in the Caribbean is the Caribbean Medical University whose tuition fee is about $4,000 annually. [/sc_fs_faq]
- Easiest Medical Schools to get into UK, US, Canada, Australia, Others
- pre-med schools with their current fees
- The Value and Importance of Basic Sciences
- Best Medical Schools in Nigeria
- Top Universities in Cuba for International Students