Are you looking forward to enrolling in one of the dental hygienist programs in Oregon? Here in this article is a collection of the best ones you can find. This post contains all you need to know about dental hygienist programs in Oregon.
A dental hygienist degree is among the easiest degree you can get a job with upon graduation. Those who major in it are in high demand as everyone is interested in maintaining good dental or oral hygiene, hence, needing an expert to do so.
Now, before I go on, I hope you understand the full scope of what we are discussing. Many people take dentistry as a dental hygienist which is not so. While dentistry deal with tooth problems, and solutions, dental hygiene is primarily involved with providing oral care, guiding or cleaning a patient’s teeth, examining signs of oral diseases, and proffering possible solution.
While dentists go to dental institutions or take dental online courses to get more advanced in their career, a dental hygienist school is recommended for those interested in dental hygiene. The need for a dental hygienist increases daily, and as such, every country now has dental hygienist institutions.
Dental hygienists work in settings like private dental clinics, community clinics, managed care organizations, hospitals, schools, university dental clinics, nursing homes, prison facilities, public health clinics, etc.
Without any further ado, let’s delve into the various hygienist programs in Oregon, the schools offering them, and the requirements to get one.
This article on dental hygienist schools in Texas might also be useful to you. Do check it out.
Requirements For Dental Hygienist Schools In Oregon
The requirements for enrolling in any of the dental hygienist schools in Oregon may differ from school to school, the status of the student, and many other things. However, the general criteria or requirements for getting admission to any of the Oregon schools offering dental hygienist programs are as follows:
- You must possess a high school diploma from an accredited and recognized institution. In case of no high school diploma, a GED or its equivalent can go for it.
- You must pass the school’s entrance exams if there are any for that school.
- You must be ready to present all official documents and transcripts from past colleges attended.
- If the English language is not your native language, you must take and submit the scores of your English proficiency test such as TOEFL.
- You must fill out the application form completely.
- All medical and legal check requirements must be met.
- You must have your letters of recommendation and a well-written essay.
- You must have your statement of intent, and be ready for an interview whenever it is required.
- Due to the competitive nature of the admission, having a good GPA, and scoring high in the entrance examination will place you on a higher pedestal. Moreso, having an experience in the healthcare industry, maybe through volunteering is a plus for you during the interview.
Average Cost Of Dental Hygienist Schools In Oregon
It is good to know that the cost of studying in any of the dental hygienist schools in Oregon differs from school to school. It can also be determined by the degree type and the student’s residency status.
However, the average cost of dental hygienist schools in Oregon ranges from $4340 to $44,500.
Best Dental Hygienist Schools In Oregon
Below is the list of best dental hygienist schools found in Oregon.
- Oregon Institute Of Technology
- Pacific University
- Treasure Valley Community College
- Hood Community College
- Portland Community College
- Lane Community College
- Chemeketa Community College
- East Oregon University
How To Become A Licensed Dental Hygienist In Oregon
Using the data gotten from the State of Oregon Employment Department in 2012, there were about 3,356 dental hygienists working in the state at that time, and a projection of a growth rate of 18% between 2012 and 2022 was acknowledged. This is to say that for you to thrive as a dental hygienist in the state, you have to be recognized and licensed.
With a license in dental hygiene, you can work in diverse areas such as a clinician, or an educator providing essential oral health services to the community, and many other places.
Here are the steps on how to become a licensed dental hygienist in Oregon:
- You must possess a degree from an accredited dental hygiene institution. Accreditation comes from Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)
- You must pass the national board dental hygiene examination. This exam is usually conducted through the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations.
- You are also required to pass a regional clinical examination.
- You must submit to the Oregon Board of dentistry, an application packet which usually contains a completed and notarized application form, a $180 non-refundable application fee, a $5 OHWI data collection fee, a transcript from the dental hygienist program with a degree posted, a fingerprint card, a biennial licensure form, proof of completed regional clinical examination, etc.
- You must participate in continuing education to maintain licensure.
Dental Hygienist Programs In Oregon
Having discussed the schools offering dental hygienist programs in Oregon, their cost, and requirements, let us now delve in properly into the various best programs one can enroll in. I urge you to follow me closely as I list and explain them.
- Bachelor Of Science In Dental Hygiene- Oregon Institute Of Technology
- Bachelor Of Science In Dental Hygiene- Pacific University
- Associate Of Arts In Pre-Dental Hygiene- Treasure Valley Community College
- Associate Of Applied Science In Dental Hygiene- Mt. Hood Community College
- Associate Of Applied Science In Dental Hygiene- Portland Community College
- Associate Of Applied Science In Dental Hygiene- Lane Community College
- Cooperative Bachelor Of Science In Dental Hygiene- Chemeketa Community College
- Cooperative Associate Of Applied Science In Dental Hygiene- Eastern Oregon University
1. Bachelor Of Science In Dental Hygiene- Oregon Institute Of Technology
Bachelor of Science in dental hygiene is a dental hygienist program offered by the Oregon Institute of technology through Klamath falls. The program aims at providing both theoretical and practical training to students.
It runs for a period of four years and can be taught using the online and on-campus models. Oregon Tech also partners with other top-notch dental hygienist schools like Chemeketa community college to provide excellent academic services.
You can check out the program here
2. Bachelor Of Science In Dental Hygiene- Pacific University
This is another one of the dental hygienist programs in Oregon offered by Pacific University. The program aims at equipping students with in-depth training on dental hygiene as it explores courses such as oral pathology, periodontics, pain management, etc.
The program curriculum contains seminars, lectures, and field experiences, and can be completed within 2- 4 years.
3. Associate Of Arts In Pre-Dental Hygiene- Treasure Valley Community College
Treasure Valley Community College also offers an associate of arts in pre-dental hygiene. It is a 2-year program that prepares students to transfer to a 4-year program. It explores courses in biology, math, anatomy, physiology, and others.
Treasure Valley Community College is a public institution located in Ontario, Oregon.
4. Associate Of Applied Science In Dental Hygiene- Mt. Hood Community College
This is another dental hygienist program in Oregon offered by Mt. Hood Community College. It equips students with the practical skills needed to thrive in a dental hygienist career. The program explores courses like pharmacology, pathology, nutrition, oral radiology, etc.
The program contains theoretical lessons, labs, and clinical experiences, and upon completion, students are awarded an associate of applied science certificate in dental hygiene. Graduates who wish to transfer to a bachelor’s program after the 6-quarter program can also do that.
5. Associate Of Applied Science In Dental Hygiene- Portland Community College
Portland Community College offers an associate of applied science in dental hygiene. This program trains students in all concerning dental hygiene and further prepares them for state licensure. The admission processes are done based on the performance of entrance examinations, GPA, work experiences, etc.
All credits earned during this program can be transferred to another institution offering a 4-year program that can confer to the students a bachelor’s degree upon graduation.
6. Associate Of Applied Science In Dental Hygiene- Lane Community College
Another dental hygienist program in Oregon is the associate of applied science in dental hygiene which the Lane Community College offers. The program aims at teaching students about the processes involved in dental hygiene.
The program explores courses like dental anatomy, local anesthesia, community dental health, etc. It is taught by well-experienced faculty and takes about two years to complete.
7. Cooperative Bachelor Of Science In Dental Hygiene- Chemeketa Community College
Chemeketa Community College offers one of the best dental hygienist programs in Oregon. It awards the students a cooperative bachelor of science in dental hygiene upon completion. The students undertake prerequisite courses in allied health chemistry, microbiology, and medical terminology.
Chemeketa Community College also collaborates with other standard dental hygienist schools like the Oregon Institute of Technology to ensure that high-quality education is dished out. The syllabus for the program contains both dental hygiene lectures and seminars, and clinical experiences for practical knowledge.
8. Cooperative Associate Of Applied Science In Dental Hygiene- Eastern Oregon University
Cooperative associate of applied science in dental hygiene is offered by Eastern Oregon University. The program tends to equip students with the general education and prerequisite courses of the dental hygiene programs.
The school does not only offer associate of applied science in dental hygiene, but it also has programs for the bachelor’s degree. The associate of applied science program explores courses such as periodontology, pathology, and dental materials at the ODS.
The above-listed programs are the best dental hygienist programs in Oregon. I hope you make good use of the information provided. I wish you luck as you apply.
Do take a look at the frequently asked questions below.
Dental Hygienist Programs In Oregon- FAQs
These are the frequently asked questions about the dental hygienist programs in Oregon. Do go through them carefully, and gain more insights.
How Long Does It Take To Become A Dental Hygienist In Oregon?
It takes about 2 to 4 years to become a dental hygienist in Oregon.
What Is The Salary Of A Dental Hygienist In Oregon?
According to career explorer, the average salary of a dental hygienist in Oregon is about $86,160 annually.
How Many Dental Hygienist Schools Are In Oregon?
There are about 8 recognized dental hygienist schools in Oregon.
- Best Dental Hygienist Schools in Iowa
- Best Dental Hygienist Schools in Arizona
- Best Dental Hygienist Schools in Ohio
- Best Dental Hygienist Schools in California
- Best Dental Hygienist Schools in Florida
James is a writer, researcher, and designer at SAN. Out of research, he has helped many students secure admission and scholarships abroad.
He has a burning desire to help scholars reach the peak of their academic dreams and never relents in providing valid information to assist students at any time.
Aside from writing, James creates top-notch graphic design solutions.