How to Easily get a Canadian Study Abroad VISA, Passport and Residence Permit

You should get a Canadian student Visa if you are planning to study abroad in Canada unless in some special cases where your study program is not lasting beyond 6 months or other exempted cases which I have listed below.

Before you ever leave your country for another country, you need a passport, before you can travel out to Canada as an international student, you possibly maybe required to present a students VISA and subsequently, a residence permit.

How To Easily Get a Canadian Study Abroad VISA, Passport and Residence Permit

For the records, if you fall into any of the categories below, you don’t need a student VISA to study in Canada;

  • You are a family or staff member of a foreign representative in Canada, who is accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada.
  • You enrol in a study programme that lasts less than six months
  • You are a member of foreign armed forces from the Visiting Forces Act
  • You are a citizen of another country, but you have an Indian status registered in Canada

Steps To Get Canadian Student VISA:
A visa is most often a stamp on a passport page which stands as agreement on conditions of entry between the holder and the host country. while waiting to get your VISA after it must have been approved, you can obtain a residence permit.

Below are the steps involved in getting a Canadian student Visa;

  1. Apply and get an acceptance letter from a Canadian university
  2. Apply online for your Canadian student visa online on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada site.
  3. You will need to provide the acceptance letter from your university and also provide your proof of sufficient financial resource to complete your study program (a proof of scholarhsip enrollment will work here)
  4. You need to have no criminal records and provide your clinical records to acertain you are good health.
  5. Povide proof of english test (IELTS or TOEFL) (Though this is not compulsory for s Canadian student visa but you just need to get it ready too, your school may demand it)

It might take a period of 14 to 90 days to get your Canadian study permit (VISA) ready.


“In some rare cases, stays of more than three months require that you obtain a residence permit. Allow adequate time to obtain a visa to travel abroad.
Depending on your country of citizenship, you may need to allow a number of weeks or even months for your host embassy or consulate to process all the required documents” –

The Canadian government expects that you will leave Canada once you have completed your studies unless you apply for PR or a work permit.

How To Apply for a Canadian Permanent Residence

NOTE: The Canadian PR is normally issued for 5years but in some cases (especially for international students) it is issued for a year.

There are about five different windows you can get a Canadian Permanent Residence permit.

  1. Through Express Entry Canada
  2. Through Business Immigration
  3. Through Family class immigration
  4. Provincial nominee programs and
  5. Through canadian experience class.

Any of the process that suits you have it’s own application procedures on the the Canadian website and you should that out before applying

“A valid passport is required for you to enter and leave your home and host countries. If you already have one, make sure it will not expire until six months after the end date of your program. In some cases this is a requirement. If you don’t have a passport, apply for one immediately and request the fastest service possible.


Note On your Canadian Student Passport

  • Keep a record of your passport number and make two photocopies of the identification page along with other essential ID cards or documents. Carry one set abroad and leave one set securely at home. Having this information will expedite the replacement of your passport in case it gets lost or stolen.
  • For U.S. Citizens: see the U.S. Department of State website for information on how to apply for a passport.
  • You should carry additional passport-sized photographs with you to use for identity cards, visa applications, or university registration. In some places, such as Europe, it is easy to obtain these from photo vending machines in airports or train stations.

If you still have any question as regards any of the issues discussed here, you can drop your comment using the comment box below and I will sure attend to it.



  1. Name:Tamirat Huriso.
    Education level:Bachelor degree in chemical engineering
    Marital status: unmarried
    Skills: Good writting,reading and speaking in
    Parterniship:HIV AIDS club

Comments are closed.