Canada is known as one of the most famous fashion hubs in the world. To kick start a career in fashion design, fashion schools in Canada cannot be overlooked!
Through the middle of the nineteenth century, key developments have been put in place in the establishment of the clothing industry in Canada.
Canadians whose professions most closely resembled Worth’s model of the fashion designer at the time was the dressmakers and tailors who ran relatively small-scale establishments catering to local markets in urban settings.
Most worked out of shops under their name, some also selling dry goods, such as fabrics and accessories of dress, or millinery.
Traditional garments in Canada correspond with the weather conditions and climate in this part of the world. That’s why traditional Canadian pieces of clothing are: parkas, tuques, Ojibwa shirts, mittens, ear muffs, and so on.
Fashion in Canada today still depends much on the weather and climate conditions. That’s why people wear parkas, long johns (an undergarment, basically long underwear), ear muffs, scarves, gloves, mittens, tuques (woolen caps), various jackets made of linen and leather, leggings, Ojibwa shirts, trousers, and moccasins. These are unisex clothes, good for both men and women.
Some of the fashion trends that are born in Canada and still existing till today are; The Blanket Jacket, the Sweatsuit, the Parka, the Toque, Winter Boots, and Leggings.
One can grasp these fashion trends when you are either a resident of Canada or studying there. In recent times, students are showing a lot of interest in fashion design, and are willing to pursue it as a career.
This blog post has been written for students that have this dream of entering the world of fashion design to explore. There are numerous fashion design schools that one can enroll in Canada to achieve his dream
We will be talking in detail about them in a jiffy, but first, let’s know the cost of these fashion schools in Canada
Cost of Fashion Schools in Canada
In Canada, the average tuition cost for undergraduate fashion courses is between $6814 and $7561.
The fees for the fashion-design school usually vary from $4,000 to $28,000 annually for tuition, fees, and materials, and the prices get higher for non-residents attending a state school
How to get into a fashion school in Canada
To get into any school of fashion in Canada, first, browse the school’s admission requirements for their fashion program. All fashion schools in Canada will require you to have completed a high school diploma with a Grade 12 English Program.
Fashion Schools in Canada
There are numerous fashion schools in Canada, but for the sake of this article, we will be making a list of the top best 8 fashion design schools and then discuss them one after another;
- Ryerson University – School of Fashion
- George Brown College
- Lasalle College
- Wilson School of Design at Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Seneca College Fashion Design Academy
- Richard Robinson Fashion Design Academy
- Fanshawe College
- Humber College
1. Ryerson University – School of Fashion
This is the first on our list of fashion schools in Canada. It’s located in Toronto, Ontario. In April 2022, Ryerson University changed its name to Toronto Metropolitan University.
The school offers varieties of fashion design programs such as Bachelor of Design – Fashion Design, Bachelor of Design – Fashion Communication, and Masters of Art with a duration of 4 years( full time) and a Master’s program of 2 years ( full time).
The school offers a Tuition fee of $27462 (4-year Bachelor) and $30707 (Masters of Art) depending on the course registered.
Requirements for admission include the following;
- Short essay requirement
- Mail-in submission
- Also, a non-refundable $50 non-academic required assessment fee
They nurture students to become leading fashion designers, creatives’s and business leaders by encouraging them to hone their creativity and connect with the global fashion industry.
Students graduate from the program with a breadth and depth of knowledge and skills, and be prepared for ever-changing and dynamic careers in the fashion industry such as fashion design; art/creative direction; social and environmental advocacy; event management; brand strategy, and design; textile and surface design; and photography.
Students may work as visual merchandisers, buyers, brand strategists, or art directors, or may choose to pursue graduate studies.
2. George Brown College
This College is the next on our list of fashion schools in Canada it’s also located in Toronto, Ontario. The programs the school offers are listed below;
- Fashion Business Industry Program, with a duration of 2 years. This two-year diploma program is designed to allow you to develop a working knowledge of business management and technical skills necessary for small- to medium-sized businesses in the apparel fashion industry. The entrepreneurial aspect of this program guides you through the process of developing a comprehensive business plan, which is essential to starting a new business or managing an existing business. You will gain an understanding of textiles, garment construction, quality criteria, and apparel merchandising. You will also learn to apply marketing, accounting, financial, and other business concepts necessary for the fashion business industry.
- Fashion Management Program, with a duration of 2 years. This two-year diploma program will prepare you to apply the tools of marketing and merchandising to maximize product success in the market. As a student in the Fashion Management program, you will have a deep understanding of textiles, manufacturing inputs and processes, and movement in the supply chain, as well as management of the value, cost, and quality of apparel. You will also gain relevant industry knowledge through field education experience after the first year of study, and through the unique opportunity to manage a retail store on campus.
- Fashion Techniques and Design Program, with a duration of 2 years. This two-year diploma program prepares you for careers in garment manufacturing design rooms. This is a women’s wear program that focuses on pattern drafting and sewing skills. You will use industrial machines and learn the essentials of technical illustration, pattern making, pattern grading, and clothing construction. Additional core subjects include textiles, technical specifications, and the history of costume
- International Fashion Development and Management Program with a duration of 1 year
3. Lasalle College
This College is the next fashion school in Canada. It’s located in Montreal, Quebec, and offers two programs, namely; Fashion Design, and Fashion Marketing.
Both programs are 3 years long. However, you can opt for an intensive option to finish the program in 2 years. The programs are offered in English.
4. Wilson School of Design at Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Being the next fashion design school in Canada, it is located in Richmond, British Columbia.
The fashion programs offered are Bachelor of Design — Fashion and Technology with a duration of 4 years. This unique Bachelor’s degree offers an industry-focused curriculum that gives our students the design skills, business acumen, and marketing savvy they need to compete in the global fashion marketplace.
The next Fashion program offered by the school is a Fashion Marketing Diploma with a duration of 2 years. This is a rigorous, 2-year program that marries creativity with practicality. The students develop skills in business, fashion, communication, and marketing while making industry connections that can launch careers.
5. Seneca College Fashion Design Academy
Located in Toronto, Ontario, it is the next fashion design school in Canada and offers varieties of fashion design programs such as Fashion Studies which takes 8 months to complete, Fashion Business with a study duration of 2 years, Fashion Arts, and Fashion Business Management with a duration of 3 years respectively.
6. Richard Robinson Fashion Design Academy
This is the next fashion design school in Canada and it is located in Ottawa, Ontario. The school offers various fashion design programs such as; the Fashion Designer program, Couturier program, and several part-time courses (Draping, Fashion Sketching, Hat Making, Haute Couture, Lingerie, Marketing/Merchandising, Pattern Making, and Textiles)
The duration of study is as follows; Fashion Designer program: 2 years; Couturier program: 2 years; Part-time courses: 4 months per course.
A lot is taught and learned by the students as they get involved in both theoretical knowledge and practical work.
7. Fanshawe College
Fanshawe College, the next fashion design school in Canada is located in London, Ontario, and offers two fashion design programs namely; Fashion Design, and Fashion Merchandising with a duration of 3 years and 2 years respectively.
These programs give the students a broad spectrum of knowledge and practical work in fashion design.
8. Humber College
Humber College which is the last on our list of fashion design schools in Canada has three campuses located in Toronto, Ontario namely; Lakeshore Campus, North Campus, and Orangeville Campus.
The school offers fashion design programs such as Fashion Management and Promotions that lasts for a year, Fashion Arts with a duration of 2 years, and Bachelor of Commerce — Fashion Management with a duration of completion of 4 years.
These fashion schools discussed above are so far the best fashion schools that interested students can enroll in and give their fashion design career a head start.
Let’s answer some relevant and frequently asked questions about fashion schools in Canada and give the article a wrap!!
Fashion Schools in Canada – FAQs
[sc_fs_multi_faq headline-0=”h2″ question-0=”Do fashion schools in Canada accept foreigners? ” answer-0=”Yes, Fashion Schools in Canada accept foreigners and International Students. ” image-0=”” headline-1=”h2″ question-1=” Is Canada good for studying Fashion?” answer-1=” Yes, Canada is a good option as a study destination in all the fields, including fashion designing. ” image-1=”” headline-2=”h2″ question-2=” What is the most famous fashion school in Canada? ” answer-2=”The most famous Fashion School in Canada is Ryerson University School of Fashion located in Toronto, Ontario ” image-2=”” headline-3=”h2″ question-3=” How long is fashion school in Canada?” answer-3=” Most formal fashion design programs take 2-4 years to complete. ” image-3=”” headline-4=”h2″ question-4=” How many fashion schools are in Canada?” answer-4=” There are more than 15 Fashion Schools in Canada” image-4=”” count=”5″ html=”true” css_class=””]