Applying for an MBA without work experience may seem ironic to you, well it did seem so to me at first, but it is actually true. There are MBA programs that you can apply for without having any working experience and I have discussed them in this blog post.
Firstly, one of the many requirements to apply for an MBA is that applicants must possess work experience, while some schools will require applicants to have one year of work experience, others may require two or three years. It is usually a very common requirement and many people haven’t been able to go for an MBA program due to lack of this requirement.
Other entry requirements for the MBA program include GMAT scores, work experience, letters of reference, CV or resume, statement of purpose, essays, etc. which are compulsory you provide to get admitted. Recently, I published an article on the MBA in Canada without GMAT which you can find here, this means, you get to apply for an MBA program without taking the GMAT because it has been waived off by some schools.
Back to the main subject matter
This blog post will be helping you know the specific institutions in countries like the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, and Singapore that accept students into their MBA program without the work experience requirement. This will help students who want to get an MBA immediately after college without having to go through the rigorous stress of being experienced before getting an education.
Is it necessary to have job experience for MBA?
While it is necessary to have job experience for MBA, mostly because it is required by many schools, it is still not impossible to study for an MBA immediately after college and that is what this article is about.
Although it is rare to get into an MBA without job experience after much, in-depth research we were able to come up with this article to help our readers and prospective business students.
With all clarity observed and without any other further ado, let’s dive into the main subject matter…
7 MBA Without Work Experience in Canada
Canada, as you may already know, is one of the top education hubs in the world, offering world-class education in a diverse range of programs. Students from all corners of the globe come here annually, more than any other country, to pursue and earn quality degrees that are globally recognized.
It is no new thing that Canada offers some of the best MBA in the world and you may be interested in going there to pursue the program. Also, you don’t need to look for a university in Canada that offers an MBA program as almost all of them offer the program.
Outlined and discussed below are the MBA without work experience in Canada, that is, you can just apply immediately after completing a four-year bachelor’s degree.
- The New York Institute of Technology
- Thompson Rivers University
- Cape Breton University
- Rowe School of Business, Dalhousie University
- Goodman School of Business, Brock University
- The University of Windsor
- Sprott School of Business, Carleton University
1. The New York Institute of Technology, Vancouver Campus
Looking for an MBA without work experience in Canada? You may want to consider the General Management MBA and an MBA with a concentration in Finance offered at the New York Institute of Technology. To apply, you need to have completed a bachelor’s degree in a business or non-business field with a minimum CGPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 from an accredited institution.
The program accepts international students but they must submit an additional document which is the IELTS or TOEFL (iBT) with a minimum score of 6.0 or 79 respectively. Other documents for every candidate include 2 recommendation letters, a statement of purpose, and a 1-2 page resume or CV.
See the cost of tuition and application deadline below.
2. Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University to offers MBA without work experience to aspirants who want to become business masters right after their bachelors’. The TRU MBA requires applicants to have at least 3.0 GPA from their bachelor’s degree related to a business discipline or a business discipline and if you aren’t up to the mark, you will be asked to provide a GMAT score.
International students must provide all other documents as well as an English language proficiency test score such as the IELTS or TOEFL with minimum scores of 7.0 or 587 respectively.
3. Cape Breton University
Another MBA without work experience is the Master of Business Administration in Community Economic Development at Cape Breton University. Interested applicants must have completed undergraduate education at a recognized institution, take the GMAT or GRE and submit scores and international students will further provide TOEFL or IELTS scores.
Other required documents include a minimum of three letters of reference including 1 professional and 1 academic.
4. Rowe School of Business, Dalhousie University
Going for the Corporate Residency MBA program at Dalhousie doesn’t require applicants to have work experience, thus, they can just apply right after their undergraduate education. You must have the following in your possession before you apply for this program:
- Completed a 4-year bachelor degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 (or B)
- Minimum GMAT score of 550
- English language proficiency test for students from Non-English speaking countries. TOEFL – 600 or IELTS – 8.0.
- Resume or CV
- A personal essay of 2,000 words
- Letter of guarantee and 2 academic reference letters.
For the application deadline, refer to the link below
5. Goodman School of Business, Brock University
At Goodman School of Business in Brock University, you can pursue the normal MBA without a work experience requirement. The MBA here is offered in full-time and part-time options but the only full-time option is available for international students.
Other entry requirements are a 4-year bachelor’s degree in any field, business-related or non-business-related, with an average GPA of B or 75%. GMAT or GRE is required with minimum scores in the 550th or 60th percentile respectively.
International students applying here aren’t exempted from taking the IELTS, TOEFL, or any equivalent English language proficiency test.
6. The University of Windsor
At the University of Windsor, you can pursue an MBA without work experience in the Odette Master of Business Administration (MBA), the MBA Professional Accounting Specialization, and the MBA for Managers and Professionals courses. Requirements include:
- A minimum GMAT score of 520
- Letter of intent and resume
- English language proficiency test scores. TOELF (internet-based test) – 100 or IELTS – 7.0 or Pearson – 68.
7. Sprott School of Business, Carleton University
This is one of the business schools that accept students into MBA without work experience but the GMAT and GRE scores are required. A 4-year bachelor’s degree with an overall CGPA of 8.0 or 12 on Carleton’s scale, two academic recommendations from professors, proficiency in English, statement of intent, video interview, and MBA complement form are further requirements.
These are the MBA without work experience in Canada, follow the provided links to learn more about the school and the program to be certain it is the best choice for you and also to know the application deadlines as well as tuition fee.
MBA Without Work Experience in the UK
The United Kingdom is also one of the top education destinations in the world, offering world-class degrees to students from all works of life. The MBA is amongst the most popular program offered in the UK and without work experience, which is often required, you too can study business here and become a professional.
One of the benefits that come with an MBA without work experience is that you progress early in the corporate world at entry-level and middle-class management jobs. You will have the opportunity to develop analytical, managerial, and communication skills, you get the chance to grow business experience academically and professionally, and it saves time.
To apply for MBA without work experience in the UK, you need to meet up the following entry requirements:
- Students from Non-English speaking countries must take the English language proficiency tests and submit scores during application for admission. The recommended tests and their scores are IELTS with a minimum score of 5.5 or higher or the TOEFL with a minimum score of 88.
- At least a second-class honors degree from an accredited institution.
- All academic mark sheets or transcripts
- Statement of Purpose
- Two recommendation letters from your school or college
- Internship letters if any (not compulsory)
- Passport copy (front and last page)
- Application form (online or paper)
The following are MBA programs designed for graduates with no work experience:
- Anglia Ruskin University
- The University of Bedfordshire
- Coventry University
- The University of Northampton
- Staffordshire University
- LCA Business School
- The University of Sunderland
- Swansea University
- The University of West London
- West London College
- The University of East London
- Leeds Beckett University
- Liverpool John Moores University
- Glyndwr University
- Teesside University
Requirements to study MBA without work experience in each of these schools have been provided above.
MBA Without Work Experience in Europe
The following are the MBA without work experience in Europe:
- Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
- The University of St. Gallen
- HEC Paris
- Esade Business School
- SDA Bocconi School of Management
1. Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
The Rotterdam School of Management offers an international full-time MBA program that takes one year to complete. During this period, your critical thinking and leadership skills will be developed to make you a business professional.
However, RSM requires just three years of work experience which is not much but this has not reduced the quality of the MBA offered.
2. The University of St. Gallen
This school offers an MBA without work experience in Europe, the program here takes one year to complete and it is designed to offer you an experience that encompasses the academic curriculum. The university requires applicants to possess a two-year post-bachelor degree.
3. HEC Paris
HEC is one of the schools that offer an MBA without work experience in Europe, it is a 16-month program designed to offer students the time required to acquire new skills and gain specific work experience in an organization.
4. Esade Business School
Looking for MBA without work experience in Europe? You may want to consider Esade Business School, offering an MBA program that takes 12 to 18 months to complete and does not require work experience. The teachings here aren’t in the English language, rather they are in Spanish, German, and French, so, if you don’t speak any of these languages, don’t bother applying here.
5. SDA Bocconi School of Management
Located in the heart of Milano and ranked as one of the highest schools of management in the world, SDA Bocconi offers MBA without work experience. Actually, the school requires a minimum of 2 years of work experience but it isn’t optional as they also accept candidates with much lower years.
Thinking of going to Europe for an MBA, then you should add these institutions to your list as well.
MBA without Work Experience in Singapore
Typically, MBA programs in Singapore require students to have work experience of at least 2-3 years before they are eligible to apply for graduate business studies. However, there are schools that allow students to get into an MBA program without work experience but to that, you need to have an exceptional academic record along with a well-constructed essay pointing out advantages as to how a fresher like you can be for that university.
Apart from that, some universities in Singapore also provide “Early Career” programs for candidates without experience.
To apply for MBA without work experience in Singapore, you need to have the following documents in your portfolio:
- Application fee receipts
- Details of passport
- Student pass for international students
- Tuition grant: if applied for any
- Criminal offense records, if any
- Medical report stating any illnesses or disability
- Scores of tests
- Awards/recognitions/co-curricular activities/extracurricular activities/competions
Along with these documents, applicants also need to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- A 3 or 4-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a minimum CGPA of 2.8 or higher
- GMAT or GRE test scores (varies by institutions)
- English language proficiency test or IELTS or TOEFL or equivalent
The schools that accept students into MBA without work experience in Singapore are:
- Lee Kong Chian School of Business
- SP Jain School of Global Management
- Nanyang Business School
- James Cook University
MBA without Work Experience in Australia
The basic requirements to study for MBA in Australia include having a bachelor’s degree with 55-65% and IELTS score or an equivalent and work experience of 2-3 years. Even though the latter is commonly required by business schools and faculties in Australia, some do not and they have been outlined below.
- Graduate School of Business, Monash University
- Melbourne Business School, The University of Melbourne
- La Trobe University
- Graduate School of Business and Law, RMIT University
1. Graduate School of Business, Monash University
Monash University offers MBA without work experience, it takes 2 years to complete and the exams accepted are IELTS (6.5) or TOEFL (79 for internet-based).
2. Melbourne Business School, The University of Melbourne
Apply to the University of Melbourne for MBA without work experience required but you need to provide GMAT or GRE and IELTS or TOEFL scores while applying.
3. La Trobe University
At La Trobe University in Australia, you can apply for an MBA program without work experience, although having 1 or 2 years will increase your chances of being accepted into the program if you don’t, you just have to provide an exceptional result. The program duration is 1.5 years and international students must provide IELTS (6.5) or TOEFL (79).
4. Graduate School of Business and Law, RMIT University
Work experience isn’t required to study here, the program takes 1 and a half to 2 years to complete also GMAT score of 550 is required and an IELTS of 6.5 is required for international students.
These are the MBA without work experience in Australia that you may want to consider applying to as soon as you earn your undergraduate degree.
MBA without Work Experience in the US
The US is also one of the top education hubs in the world and the most competitive as well. MBA is one of the on-demand courses in the US and here’s how you can study for MBA without work experience in the US.
Most universities that accept applicants without work experience require GMAT and accept students with 15 years of education at the bachelor’s level, that is, if you have studied a 3-year bachelor such as BCom, BMS, BBA, such degrees qualify you to apply for the MBA for a direct entry without any foundation or pre-MBA or pre-Masters.
- Albers School of Business and Economics
- California International Business University
- Arizona State University
- La Salle University
- Syracuse University
- Dayton University
- Ohio State University
- Hankamer School of Business
- Kellstadt Graduate School of Business
- Questrom School of Business
- Perdue School of Business
- Foster School of Business
- NYU Stern School of Business
These are the business schools and universities in the United States that offer MBA without work experience, carry out further research to learn more about specific program requirements as well as the application deadlines.
- 16 Top MBA in Canada without GMAT
- 13 Cheapest MBA in Canada for International Students
- 25 Top Universities in Canada for MBA
- 10 Cheapest Online MBA in Canada
- 4 Ways to Study and Work in Canada
- 9 Working Tips to Apply for Music Scholarships and Win
Thaddaeus is a lead content creator at SAN with over 5 years of experience in the field of professional content creation. He has written several helpful articles for Blockchain projects in the past and even recently but since 2020, he has been more active in creating guides for students who want to study abroad.
When he's not writing, he's either watching anime, making a delicious meal, or definitely swimming.