This is a full guide on how to get admission for MBBS in Canada as an international student or even as a Canadian resident. Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) is regarded as a professional degree in the field of medical science and a person holding the MBBS degree is a certified medical practitioner.
As a student who wants to study for an MBBS degree in Canada but does not know how to go about it, this guide will help you with all you need to know from scratch to finish.
You should know that an MBBS degree obtained from a reputable Canadian university is recognized all over the world.
If you want to get admission for MBBS in Canada, there are steps you need to go through. I will give a shortened bulleted list of these steps below while you can read the details further down on this page.
MBBS IN CANADA
MBBS – Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery are duo bachelor degrees in one domain gotten as an undergraduate, first professional degree in medicine which may last 5-6 years to complete but in Canada, it is known as MD – Doctor of Medicine.
As a matter of fact, Canadian universities do not offer courses in MBBS directly to students after completion of schooling instead they provide MD courses thus the MD degree is gotten after completion.
General Requirements for MBBS in Canada
- Completion of undergraduate or Bachelor degree in Biology or science from a known university
- A language proficiency test must be taken and you can choose either TOEFL or IELTS exam to validate your language proficiency.
- The score requirement of the TOEFL exam should be a minimum of 80 for the undergraduate student and a minimum of 90 for postgraduate students.
- The score requirement for the IELTS exam should be a minimum of 6.5 for undergraduate students and 7.0 for postgraduate students.
- Participation in the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) entrance exam although it varies with universities.
The requirement outlined above are recently updated but it is still advisable that you contact the admissions officer of your preferred school or visit the university’s website for more information.
To help you further we have compiled a list of universities in Canada where you can apply for an MBBS/MD degree.
List of Medical Schools for MBBS in Canada
- Cumming School of Medicine
- The University of Manitoba, College of Medicine
- The University of Alberta, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
- The University of British Columbia, Faculty of Medicine
- Northern Ontario School of Medicine
- Queen’s School of Medicine
- Dalhousie University, Faculty of Medicine
- Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine
- The University of Sherbrooke, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- The University of Saskatchewan, College of Medicine
- The University of Montreal, Faculty of Medicine
- Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
- The University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine
- The University of Toronto, Faculty Of Medicine
- Laval University, Faculty of Medicine
NOTE: Like I wrote earlier, MBBS in Canada is referred to as Doctor of Medicine (MD) program so if you are applying for a medical degree in Canada you should have this at the back of your mind. For example, you can visit the Cummung School of Medicine medical admission page to understand the MD degree program in Canada better.
These schools are really great at what they do and have been known to be among top universities providing the world’s best doctors and surgeons.
You can go ahead to make further research on these schools and go for the one that suits you best then you can begin to make contacts on how you can apply for their MBBS or rather, MD program.
Steps to Get Admission For MBBS In Canada
- Ensure you have proof of completion of a Bachelors degree in Biology or Health Science course
- Ensure you have TOEFL or IELTS certificate or written order from your university confirming that you have received formal education in English
- Apply and participate in the Medical College Admission Test
- Prepare and submit every required document for application before the stipulated deadline
As a popular study location, Canada has some of the best universities in the world and the country itself is one of the nations with outstanding academic performance. Any degree gotten from Canada is usually recognized by any country in the world also the cost of studying here is comparatively low.
Canada is a safe country with a low crime rate, amazing health benefits for students, lots of scholarship grants both for its student citizens and international student.
So, if you are an international student who wants to study abroad but scared of your safety or the environment, Canada could be the perfect place for you.
Conclusion on How to Get Admission In Canada For MBBS
Canada is one of the best places to study in the world and the highly recommended country to get an MBBS degree from.
An MBBS degree in Canada obtained from a reputable, accredited university is recognized across the globe.
Well enough, tuition fees and the cost of living in Canada are quite cheap compared to other popular international study locations like the US and Australia.
The cost of studying for an MBBS in Canada is about CA$40,000 – CA$55,000 which covers both tuition fees and living expenses and compared to other countries it is very much affordable.
While this guide is just on how to get admission for MBBS in Canada, you should also know that there are many MBBS international and domestic scholarships you can apply for online.