This post lists some of the best educational doctorate programs that working professionals can take online from the comfort of their homes. Other helpful guides and tips are included in the article, so have a great read.
I’ll start by saying, one of the perks of distance or online learning is the flexibility that comes with it. You can work and handle other responsibilities while studying for a degree online, irrespective of location. Another great thing about online programs is that they are quicker to complete and cheaper; you can find a host of courses that you can take online for free, also known as MOOCs, that give certifications.
And these free online courses don’t just include certification courses but actual degrees that are accredited and widely recognized, like free online doctorate degrees, free online master’s degrees, and free online associate degrees.
I shouldn’t also fail to mention that a degree or certification gotten online has no difference from the brick-and-mortar counterparts. Just ensure that the institution offering that online program is accredited by the right body, which is something a simple Google search can solve for you.
These are just some of the perks of pursuing an online doctoral degree program.
Online Doctorate Degree In Education
Assisting others in enhancing and developing their knowledge and abilities is one of the biggest joys of an educator. Attaining the highest level of Education, a Ph.D. or Doctorate in Education, makes you equipped to assist others in learning.
So, suppose you are passionate about imparting knowledge to others and promoting and leading systemic educational changes. In that case, you may want to consider pursuing a doctorate in Education, and one of the easiest and most convenient ways to do that is online, as you will enjoy some ‘perks’ as I have discussed earlier.
Now, it is left to decide on the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Education or the Doctorate of Education (EdD) programs and then pick a specialization. While the Ph.D. program focuses on research and theory, the Ed.D. focuses on the practical aspect, like applying research to real-world problems and developing solutions for complex issues.
Graduates from Ph.D. generally go into careers in academia, and the Ed.D. guys usually go for administrative roles.
Online Doctorate Degree in Education Specializations
Prospective students who want to pursue an online doctoral degree in Education often have to choose a focus of study within the program known as concentrations or specializations. These concentrations are:
- Higher education leadership
- Special education leadership
- Diversity and equity in Education
- Counselor education and supervision
- Global studies in Education
- Human resource development
- Adult learning
- Community college leadership
- Curriculum & instruction
- Early childhood education
- Educational Administration
- Educational psychology
- Educational instructional systems technology
- Reading & literacy
So, these are the common specializations in a doctorate in Education; although some schools may try to spice them up, they still mean the same thing.
Any of these specializations can prepare you for career options such as director, researcher, chair, faculty, professor, instructor, lecturer, instructional designer, and education leadership in work settings like corporations, nonprofit organizations, healthcare organizations, universities and school districts, research institutions, schools, colleges, and community colleges.
How Long Is Online Doctoral Program In Education?
The duration of an online doctoral degree program in Education for full-time students is three years and requires between 54 and 64 credits to complete and earn the degree.
How Much Is It To Obtain Doctoral Degree In Education Online?
The cost of an online doctoral program in Education depends on students’ residency, which is an important factor to consider as out-of-state students pay higher. However, some schools charge a flat rate for online students regardless of residency status.
Typically, an online education doctoral degree costs are charged at a per-credit cost ranging from $375 to $1,230. For the complete tuition, students should expect to pay between $20,000 and $79,000.
Requirements For Online Doctoral Programs In Education
Want to apply for an online doctoral degree program in Education? Meet the requirements listed below:
- A master’s degree or higher, whether in a related field or not, from an accredited university or college
- Complete online application
- Transcripts of highest degree or coursework completed to date
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 in post-baccalaureate degree coursework
- Professional or academic experience
- Access to a P.C. and stable internet connection
- Recommendation letters
- English proficiency test scores for non-native English speakers.
- Statement of purpose
These general requirements may differ from school to school and by the program. Therefore, contact the admissions office of your select institution and enquire for complete admission requirement details into the online doctoral program in Education.
And now, to the main event of the show…
Best Online Doctoral Programs In Education
In this section, I have listed and discussed some of the best accredited online doctoral programs in Education offered by some of the best universities. This data is from the Princeton Review and my research.
The best online doctoral programs in Education are:
- Online Doctor of Education (EdD) at Walden University
- Online Doctor of Education (EdD) at Illinois College of Education
- Online Doctorate Degree Programs at Texas Tech University
- North Central University Online Ph.D. and Doctoral Degree in Education
- Online Doctor of Education (EdD) Programs by Liberty University
- Online Ed.D. in Curriculum & Instruction at Texas A&M University
- Online Doctorate of Education in Educational Leadership at the University of Arizona
- Online Educational Leadership at Lamar University
- Online Ed.D. – Doctor of Educational Leadership at the University of Cumberlands
- Online Doctorate of Education in Leadership Innovation and Continuous Improvement (LICI) at Concordia University, Wisconsin
1. Online Doctor of Education (EdD) at Walden University
Walden University prides itself as the No.1 institution in educating professional doctoral graduates in the U.S. and is known as “the Educator or Educators.” The school also takes pride in its experience in offering this program which has been ongoing for over 50 years.
The online EdD at Walden prepares educators to solve pressing educational problems and improve learning outcomes in their organization and beyond. Also, the program focuses on the field’s most critical, contemporary challenges. One of the program’s perks is that U.S. students can win a $5,000 grant to reduce the cost of their fees.
2. Online Doctor of Education (EdD) at Illinois College of Education
The Illinois College of Education is a division within the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. The college offers various graduate degree programs, including an online Doctor of Education degree program that you can enroll in and complete from the comfort of your home. The program has four specializations for you to choose from.
To graduate from the program, you must have earned a master’s degree from an accredited institution, get a minimum GPA of 3.0, complete 64 total credit hours, and write two qualifying exams and a doctoral dissertation. The pro of this particular program is the cost of $500 per credit hour, which is affordable compared to others from top institutions.
3. Online Doctorate Degree Programs at Texas Tech University
Unlike the first two universities above, Texas Tech University is offering varieties of online and hybrid/blended education doctoral degree programs. The list of programs is:
- Doctor of Education in Agricultural Education (hybrid/blended)
- Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership (online)
- Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration (hybrid/blended)
- Doctor of Educational Psychology (hybrid/blended)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Curriculum and Instruction (online)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Curriculum and Instruction (Track in Curriculum Studies and Teacher Education) (online)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Curriculum and Instruction (Track in Language, Diversity & Literacy Studies) (online)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Curriculum and Instruction (Track in STEM) (online)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Educational Leadership Policy (online)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Family and Consumer Science Education (online)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Higher Education – Higher Education Research (online)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Special Education (online)
This way, you can choose a specialization at the same time.
4. North Central University Online Ph.D. and Doctoral Degree in Education
The online Ph.D. and doctoral degree programs offered at North Central University are similar to the one above. Still, the difference is that all the programs are offered online with no blended option. In addition, the programs are offered with varieties of specializations. The degrees are:
- Doctor of Education Degree
- Doctor of Education in Instructional Design
- Doctor of Philosophy in Instructional Design
- Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership
- Doctor of Philosophy in Educational Leadership
- Doctor of Philosophy in Human Resource Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- Education Specialist Degree
5. Online Doctor of Education (EdD) Programs by Liberty University
The Online Doctor of Education (EdD) degree program offered by Liberty University consists of 54 credits and takes an average of 3 years to complete on a full-time option. The cost of the program is $595 per credit hour.
This program covers education administration, curriculum development, learning theory, and the latest research to gain the advanced knowledge required to promote the education sector.
6. Online Ed.D. in Curriculum & Instruction at Texas A&M University
This online doctoral program is designed to prepare leaders in P-12 public and private Education to be accomplished by providing direction in curriculum, instruction, and instructional assessment. To complete the program, you must complete 64 semester credits.
To enter the program, you must have five years of successful teaching experience, earned a master’s degree, submitted three professional or academic references, and submitted writing samples addressing various educational and instructional issues.
7. Online Doctorate of Education in Educational Leadership at the University of Arizona
The online Ed.D. in Educational Leadership at the College of Education at the University of Arizona applies theory and research to leadership issues in complex organizations, including schools, district offices, community centers, and policy organizations. You can complete the program in 3 years.
The credits requirement is 63, and the cost per credit is $625, making it one of the most affordable online doctoral programs in Education.
8. Online Educational Leadership at Lamar University
The College of Education and Human Development is one of the divisions within Lamar University and offers an online doctoral degree in educational leadership. The program is further subdivided into; Ed.D. Educational Leadership – Educational Technology Innovation Degree and Ed.D. Educational Leadership – Global Educational Leadership Degree. Candidates will have to apply for one.
The program is 100% online and is designed to be completed in 8 semesters, including summers.
9. Online Ed.D. – Doctor of Educational Leadership at the University of Cumberlands
This online doctoral program prepares students for hands-on leadership in educational settings. Requirements to enter the program include application and application fee, official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate coursework, minimum of 3.0 GPA on a scale of 4.0 on the master’s degree, and English language proficiency scores.
The tuition is $375 per credit, makings it one of the affordable online doctoral programs.
10. Online Doctorate of Education in Leadership Innovation and Continuous Improvement (LICI) at Concordia University, Wisconsin
Our final list of best online doctoral programs in Education is LICI, offered by Concordia University in Wisconsin, with a mission to prepare and equip individuals with a constant drive to learn. Total credits are 60, and the cost of pre-credit is $867.
No GRE and prerequisite courses are required to enter the program, but you must hold a master’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 from an accredited university to enter the program.
And this wraps up the list of best online doctoral degree programs and the schools offering them. You should contact the school of your preferred program to learn more about the requirements and any vital info you may need.
Online Doctoral Programs in Education – FAQs
[sc_fs_multi_faq headline-0=”h3″ question-0=”What is the cheapest online doctoral program in Education?” answer-0=” The cheapest online doctoral program costs $4,350, and California Coast University offers it.” image-0=”” headline-1=”h3″ question-1=”What is the best online doctoral degree program in Education?” answer-1=” The best online doctoral degree program in Education is the Online Doctor of Education offered by Liberty University, according to the Princeton Review.” image-1=”” headline-2=”h3″ question-2=”Can I become a professor with an online PhD? ” answer-2=” PhDs gotten on-campus are the same as those obtained online, so y, es you can become a professor with an online Ph.D.” image-2=”” count=”3″ html=”true” css_class=””]
- 7 Top Canadian Universities for Economics Currently
- 8 Universities in Switzerland for International Students
- 17 Free Online Maths Courses For Adults With Certificates
- Computer Architecture By Princeton University
- Top 4 Dental Hygienist Programs In Alabama
- 10 Top Online Business Degrees and Schools