This article was specially curated to give you a complete view of paramedic high school requirements. So, if you have been on the search for it, you are in the right place. Do follow me closely with keen attention.
Before I go on, I would love to explain what a paramedic is. Paramedics are those licensed healthcare professionals that aim at giving urgent attention to sick or injured persons. In an accident scene, they are usually those who come to rescue the situation and help give first aid treatment to the victims, before further actions are carried out.
This career is a good option to consider when you have a passion for the medical field, but do not want to venture into nursing or a medical assistant. As a matter of fact, the career is growing at a very high rate as paramedics are needed more around the world now than ever.
Now, to pose as a professional in the field of paramedics, there are diverse training you need to enroll in, and some certifications you must acquire. Even after graduating, you will still from time to time take courses like online first aid classes to refreshen or expand your knowledge.
While a typical paramedic program takes about two years to complete, I want to let you know that six months paramedic programs still exist. It is an accelerated one, and faster than the ones held in Ontario or some other places.
Without much ado, let us delve properly into the high school requirements for paramedics. You can look up this article on steps to becoming a paramedic in the UK in case you are interested.
Paramedic High School Requirements
In this section, I will be listing and explaining all the paramedic high school requirements you need to know. I urge you to take the ride with me.
- You must be at least 18 years of age and physically fit
- You must possess a high school diploma or its equivalency such as a GED certificate
- You must have a CPR/ basic life support for healthcare providers certification.
- You must present your criminal background checks
- You must apply and take the school admission tests.
- You must acquire skills such as ambulance driving, applying neck braces, use of radio for communication, etc.
- You must ace your subjects like the English language, mathematics, sciences, physiology, and physical education
1. You must be at least 18 years of age and physically fit
This is stated to be the minimum age you must attain before applying to study paramedic. You are also expected to be physically fit and be able to lift victims and persons in case of emergencies. Though in some cases of not being fit, you can be among those giving medications to victims before further actions are taken.
2. You must possess a high school diploma or its equivalency such as a GED certificate
Another requirement is to possess a high school diploma or certificate. This is to state that you have successfully graduated from high school and taken courses such as sciences, mathematics, English, etc., which gives you the foundation of paramedics.
In a case where the high school diploma is not available, you can apply with the equivalent certificate such as the GED.
3. You must have a CPR/ basic life support for healthcare providers certification
You should enroll and acquire both the knowledge and certification given to healthcare providers.
4. You must present your criminal background checks
You must take and submit the results of your criminal background checks to prove your good character.
5. You must apply and take the school admission tests
You must apply to your school of choice, and also take the admission test if any. You are also required to present the necessary documents needed by the school for admission.
6. You must acquire skills such as ambulance driving, applying neck braces, use of radio for communication, etc.
It is of great importance that you possess skills such as ambulance driving, use of radio to communicate in case of emergencies, applying neck braces, etc.
These skills equip you and make you more effective in carrying out your duties.
7. You must ace your subjects like the English language, mathematics, sciences, physiology, and physical education
You must pass subjects such as English language, mathematics, sciences, physiology, physical education, and many others as that is where the foundation about paramedics will be taught.
It is also important to ace them, so as to prove your understanding of the subjects.
These paramedic high school requirements listed above are the general and vital ones. It is important to note that requirements differ from school to school, but with the above listed, you are good to go.
Please also take a look at the frequently asked questions below to gain further insights.
Paramedic High School Requirements- FAQs
Here is one of the vital frequently asked questions about paramedic high school requirements. Do go through it carefully.
[sc_fs_faq html=”true” headline=”h3″ img=”” question=”What High School Courses Are Needed To Become A Paramedic?” img_alt=”” css_class=””] The high school courses needed to become a paramedic are English language, mathematics, sciences, physiology, biology, anatomy, etc. [/sc_fs_faq]
- Basic Ambulance Assistant Course Requirements
- How To Become A Paramedic In Ireland
- How To Become A Paramedic In South Africa | Fees & Requirements
- Short Courses that Lead to Good Jobs
- How to Study Medicine in Canada for Free