Most times, foreign students who wish to study in the U.S seek scholarships to finance their studies. However, winning any of these scholarships to study in schools in the U.S does not come easily especially in New York. Therefore, this article provides details of the top scholarships in New York for international students.
Studying in any college or university in New York is not cheap. International students are more affected in this area as institutions in America charge tuition fees based on nationality. So, to get this problem solved, foreign students seek scholarships to sponsor their education.
There are lots of scholarships in New York for international students to pursue their degrees in both colleges and universities. So, if you are an international student who desires to study in New York on scholarship, then this article is for you.
Top Scholarships In New York For International Students
International students who lack funding and are looking at pursuing their degrees in institutions in New York can do so by accessing any of the scholarships contained in this section.
Therefore, the best scholarships in New York for international students are as follows:
- Berkeley College International Honors Program
- Bard College International Student Scholarship Program
- Ahmet Ertegun Memorial Scholarship
- College of Saint Rose Graduate Scholarship
- Fredonia Promise Award
- Honors Program Scholarship
- Dean’s Scholar Award
- President’s Award of Excellence
- Keeper of the Dream Scholarship
- Hauser Global Scholars Program
1. Berkeley College International Honors Program
Every year, Berkeley College offers international honors funding to outstanding students who are admitted to the institution. The scholarship enables international students to pursue an undergraduate degree program at Berkeley College.
- Applicants must not be citizens of the United States.
- Candidates should be first-time students.
- Applicants will have graduated from an accredited high school and pass an entrance exam or possess the required SAT/ACT scores.
- Candidates must enroll full-time in an associate or bachelor’s degree program at Berkeley.
On the other hand, applicants will have to demonstrate proficiency in the English language (IELTS, TOEFL, or approved ESL program). Applicants will also submit official secondary or post-secondary transcripts, certification of finances, and a passport photograph.
As one of the scholarships in New York for international students, the honors program will cover half of the recipient’s tuition fees.
2. Bard College International Student Scholarship Program
Bard College offers a need-based scholarship to international students who are enrolled in the institution. The financial award is given to eligible foreign students to pursue a full-time bachelor’s degree at Bard College.
International students who wish to win the scholarship must have to show financial need by completing the International Student Application for Financial Aid. The number of financial aid is limited. In addition, the scholarship covers tuition, accommodation, and airfare.
- Candidates must hold a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Applicants will have to show proficiency in English.
3. Ahmet Ertegun Memorial Scholarship
The Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund provides scholarships every year in memory of Ahmet Ertegun who is the co-founder of Atlantic Records. A Led Zeppelin reunion concert in memory of Ahmet Ertegun led to the establishment of the scholarship.
The award is available to talented musicians from Turkey to pursue undergraduate and graduate studies at The Juilliard School in New York City.
Since 2008, the foundation has offered scholarships that are worth over $110,000 to six Juilliard musicians to enable pursue their musical studies for free.
4. College of Saint Rose Graduate Scholarship
Every year, the College of Saint Rose provides a number of scholarships to outstanding international students to pursue master’s degrees in different fields of study. The financial award covers the partial tuition for the duration of the master’s degree program.
Recipients of the award will receive $2,000 per year for a maximum period of two years. The number of the scholarship is ten and it is one of the best scholarships in New York for international students.
- Applicants must have gained an unconditional admission to pursue graduate studies at the College of Saint Rose.
- Candidates will have to be enrolled for full-time studies (minimum of 9 credits) per semester.
- Applicants should maintain a minimum GPA of 3.3 throughout the graduate program.
5. Fredonia Promise Award
The Fredonia Promise Award is available to first-year students at the State University of New York at Fredonia. Through the financial award, the university aims to support the education of students who lack funding for their education.
The scholarship value ranges from $1,500 to $2,000 and is renewable. In addition, the financial award is specifically for students who wish to live on-campus.
- Candidates should possess an 85 unweighted high school average and one of the following; 1080 New SAT (EBRW + Math after March 2016), or 1000 Old SAT (Critical Reading + Mathematics), or 22 ACT Composite score.
- Applicants must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5 to retain the scholarship and live inside the university residence hall.
The financial award will cover “non-tuition” related expenses including boarding, books, travels, personal, etc. It is one of the top scholarships in New York for international students.
6. Honors Program Scholarship
The Honors Program Scholarship is available to outstanding students who are invited to join the honors program in the fall of their first year at St. John Fisher College. Sponsors of the scholarship include alumni, faculty, foundations, etc. The sponsors are individuals who know the value of education in society.
Students who wish to win the award will have to write an essay. Recipients of the award will be determined through an essay review by the Program Director. The value of the scholarship is $1,500 and it will cover non-tuition expenses for four semesters ($375 per semester).
- Applicants should have a 92 or better HS Average and an 1150 or a better composite SAT score or 25 or better ACT score.
- Candidates who are transfer students must possess a 3.3 cumulative GPA or better and a minimum of 15 transferrable credits.
7. Dean’s Scholar Award
Every year, the State University of New York at Fredonia offers the Dean’s Scholar Award to new students who wish to live on-campus at the institution.
The Dean’s Scholar Award is one of the best scholarships in New York for international students. It is renewable and its worth is $2,000.
- Candidates must possess a 90 unweighted high school average and one of the following: 1080 New SAT (EBRW + Math after March 2016), or 1000 Old SAT (Critical Reading + Mathematics), or 22 ACT Composite score.
- Upon enrolment into the institution, recipients will have to maintain a minimum GPA of 2.8 to retain the scholarship.
8. President’s Award of Excellence
The President’s Award of Excellence is a merit-based award that is given to outstanding freshmen at the State University of New York at Fredonia. Additionally, these are students who are willing to reside in the university’s residence hall or townhouse.
The financial award is renewable and is valued at $5,000. It is one of the top scholarships in New York for international students. The scholarship covers non-tuition fees including accommodation, books, travels, etc.
- Applicants should have a 95 unweighted high school average.
- Upon enrolment, recipients must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.8 to retain the scholarship and live inside a university residence hall or townhouse.
9. Keeper of the Dream Scholarship
Every year, the division of Enrollment and Student Services (ESS) at the State University of New York at Fredonia provides the Keeper of the Dream Scholarship (KOD) for four freshmen to pursue their degrees at the institution.
These students are awarded this award based on high school achievement, community service, and a demonstrated commitment to multiculturalism.
The value of the scholarship is $4,000 and is renewable for up to four (4) years provided the student maintains the required academic standards and housing requirements. Recipients will have to attain a minimum of 3.00 GPA in order to retain the scholarship.
- Candidates must possess one of the following criteria: top 10 percent of their graduating class, SAT scores of at least 1100 (or 25 ACT), or a minimum of 85 percent high school average.
- Applicants should have a strong record of community service and leadership.
- Candidates will have to write an essay on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream for equality including their commitment to pursuing that dream.
- Applicants must maintain full-time enrollment in the university and live in residence halls.
10. Hauser Global Scholars Program
The Hauser Global Scholars Program is the most reputable honor that is given to outstanding students who are pursuing a law degree. Up to ten (10) students receive the award every year.
It is offered on merit and shows the breadth, diversity, and achievement of NYU School of Law’s graduate student body.
Winners are selected based on their intellectual and leadership capacities as well as their ability to engage productively in a global community of scholars and practitioners. Applicants must be law school graduates coming from outside of the United States.
The scholarship covers full tuition, stipend, books, accommodation, etc.
- Top 6 NYU Scholarships for International Students
- 13 Bible School Full Scholarships for International Students
- 6 Best Full Tuition Scholarships for International Students in Canada
- 15 Fully Funded Scholarships for International Students in Europe
- 10 Best Undergraduate Scholarships For International Students in Canada