Are you a special education teacher, and eager to up your game by taking special education courses for teachers? Then, follow me closely as I unveil not just the courses, but the leading ones you can enroll in that also gives the opportunity to graduate at an accelerated pace.
Special education is an alternative solution to the traditional educational techniques which were designed to give individual instructions, support, and services to students who have behavioral issues, physical impairments, and other disabilities.
Teachers in special education are trained on how to handle children with disabilities, design individual lesson plans, explore the best ways to effectively follow up with the students, and many more.
As a teacher interested in the special education sector, taking courses in special education using online platforms or on-campus is very essential as the courses will enlighten you on the best ways to get intimate with the children, and be able to design programs that meet their needs.
In this post, we will be exploring those top special education courses for teachers and all they entail. We will also be seeing the benefits of becoming a special education instructor, and many others. I, therefore implore you to stay glued to this article till the last sentence.
This article on childhood education free courses taught online can also be something you would love to look at.
Benefits Of Becoming A Special Education Teacher
There are numerous things you stand to gain when you are a special education instructor. Some of them are;
- As a special education teacher, you are open to many career paths such as teaching in a school, working in private centers, or even running your personal consultations.
- There are always job opportunities for special education instructors due to the fact that it is a challenging career, and many tend to avoid the path.
- Special education teachers often have small class sizes where they get to know the students intimately, and can develop relationships with students for a lifetime.
- Special education teachers have a higher pay rate compared to regular classroom teachers.
- Special education teachers experience the joy of teaching as they know they are impacting value in children with disabilities.
- Working with special students offers a lifetime of learning, and can lead to new career paths outside of teaching.
Special Education Teacher Requirements
These are the requirements needed to become a special education teacher. Go through them carefully.
- You must possess a bachelor’s degree in special education from a recognized institution.
- You must have firsthand teaching experience or be ready to complete a teaching or education internship after graduation so as to have classroom experience.
- You must meet and obtain the state certification as every state has its requirements for educator licensure.
- To maintain relevance in the sector, you must engage in advanced programs by pursuing your master’s degree or using continuing education.
Having seen the benefits and the requirements needed to become a special education instructor, let’s now delve properly into the leading special education courses for teachers.
Special Education Courses For Teachers
Below are the various top educational courses which teachers can take to further advance their careers, or map out the best strategies to be applied in the special education environment.
The data are from research about special education from sources like Alison, Coursera, and individual school websites.
- Disability Inclusion In Education: Building Systems Of Support
- Managing ADHD, Autism, Learning Disabilities, And Concussion In School
- Introduction To Self Determination Theory: An Approach To Motivation, Development, And Wellness
- Blended Learning: Personalizing Education For Students
- Severe To Profound Intellectual Disability: Circles Of Care And Education
- Working With Students With Special Educational Needs
- Special Needs Teachers Training Course
- Teaching Children With Visual Impairment: Creating Empowering Classrooms
- FDA Professional Practice In Special Educational Needs And Disabilities
- Good Practice In Autism Education Course
1. Disability Inclusion In Education: Building Systems Of Support
This is a course offered by the University Of Cape Town and focuses on exploring the support that teachers need in order to meet the needs of special education children, especially those with hearing, visual and intellectual disabilities.
The course covers developing disability confidence, and what exactly is to be taught to students with disabilities. Upon completion of the course, you will be well-versed in the impairment-specific needs of learners with disabilities, and how to build support systems for them.
The course is 100% online with much flexibility and takes approximately 14 hours to be completed. It is learned through Coursera, and you will be allowed to buy a verified certificate once you show evidence of your achievements.
Use this link here to check out the course
2. Managing ADHD, Autism, Learning Disabilities, And Concussion In School
This is a program offered by the University of Colorado and taught through Coursera. This course explores the most common developmental and behavioral disorders found in children such as ADHD, learning disorders, autism spectrum disorder, and concussions.
The course covers how one can recognize the symptoms, and also understand the diagnosis process. It is a fully online course and has flexible deadlines to help you meet your schedules. It takes approximately 9 hours to complete, and upon completion, your certificate will be awarded to you.
3. Introduction To Self Determination Theory: An Approach To Motivation, Development, And Wellness
This program focuses on the theory of motivation and psychological development that promote high-quality motivation and wellness. It is offered by the University of Rochester and administered through Coursera.
The course further explores the overview of SDT with good emphasis on how competence, autonomy, and other supports contribute greatly to behavioral persistence, quality of relationships, healthy developmental processes, and many others.
It can be completed in about 21 hours and has flexible deadlines. It is also 100% online, and you will earn your certification upon completion.
4. Blended Learning: Personalizing Education For Students
Blending learning: personalizing education for students is also one of the special education courses for teachers, offered by the New Teacher Center in collaboration with Silicon School Funds, Clayton Christensen Institute, and Relay Graduate School Of Education.
The course explores the diverse models of blended learning, implementation challenges, potential solutions, implications for teachers in their day-to-day work, etc.
It is fully online and can be completed in about 9 hours. It has flexible deadlines and awards a certificate upon completion. You can check it out using this link
5. Severe To Profound Intellectual Disability: Circles Of Care And Education
This is offered by the University Of Cape Town and focuses on educating and caring for children with severe to profound intellectual disabilities. The child(ren) finds himself in a circle of supporters such as the parents, family, educators, health care workers, and others.
The program runs for a duration of 15 hours and has very flexible deadlines to fit your schedule. It is fully online, and upon completion, you will be awarded a certificate.
6. Working With Students With Special Educational Needs
This program is offered by Alison to give in-depth training on the understanding of educational psychology that can help you administer your role more effectively as a teacher.
The course is for teachers who want to advance their skills in working with students with disabilities as it explains the roles, responsibilities, and how to develop an individual educational plan (IEP).
Upon completion, you will understand the fundamentals of special education, the most common disabilities encountered in the classroom, and how to generate a basic individual educational plan for students with special educational needs.
Check out the course using this link
7. Special Needs Teachers Training Course
Special Needs Teachers Training Course is offered by the London college of teachers and trainers. The program aims at helping aspiring teachers who are interested in teaching children with learning disabilities such as autism and ADHD to understand how to cope with runway emotions.
Upon completion of the course, you will be able to recognize the challenges of the special child early and proffer solutions that will help them feel among. You will also become a qualified SEN teacher, and increase your chances of employability.
8. Teaching Children With Visual Impairment: Creating Empowering Classrooms
This program is offered by the University Of Cape Town and taught through Coursera. It explores how to discover a visually impaired child by understanding that there are different eye conditions, and each tends to affect the behavior of the child.
Upon completion of the program, you will be able to make your classroom, the content, teaching, and assessments accessible using curriculum differentiation strategies. the course is fully online and takes about 14 hours to complete.
9. FDA Professional Practice In Special Educational Needs And Disabilities
This course is offered by Grantham College & University Center. It is specifically designed for those who desire to work with children and young people having disabilities. The course teaches the strategies applied in meeting the needs of students in special education.
It is a campus-based program and is taught in conjunction with Bishop Grosseteste University.
10. Good Practice In Autism Education Course
Good practice in autism education course is offered by the University of Bath. The course explores the overview of autism, including the signs, symptoms, and diagnosis, an inclusive curriculum for autistic students, and how special educational needs and disabilities can influence one’s ability to learn.
The course is taught fully online and runs for a duration of 4 weeks. It is administered through FutureLearn.
Taking courses on special education for teachers increases your knowledge of how to handle and meet the needs of students with disabilities. These courses provided above can help you achieve that.
Special Education Courses For Teachers- FAQs
Below are the frequently asked questions about special education courses for teachers. go through them carefully, and gain more insights.
[sc_fs_multi_faq headline-0=”h3″ question-0=”How Do I Become A Special Education Teacher In The Philippines?” answer-0=”To become a special education teacher in the Philippines, you must earn a diploma in special education from a recognized university. ” image-0=”” headline-1=”h3″ question-1=”How Do I Become A Special Needs Teacher In Ireland?” answer-1=”You must possess a bachelor’s degree or diploma in special education with any course at +2, be a certified special education teacher, or B.Ed./M.Ed. teacher, and hold or prepare for A-level in special education. ” image-1=”” headline-2=”h3″ question-2=”How Much Can I Earn As A Special Education Teacher?” answer-2=”An average special education teacher in the USA earns around $53317 annually.” image-2=”” count=”3″ html=”true” css_class=””]