Here is everything you need to know about the University of Alberta, Canada, its application process, fees, scholarships, programs and all necessary information you need to either secure an admission or win a scholarship at the University.[lwptoc]
University of Alberta, Canada
The University of Alberta is a comprehensive and research-intensive institution established in 1908 and located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The university offers a range of bachelor, masters and doctoral degree programs to international students, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada aspiring to study there.
The university discovers, disseminates and applies new knowledge through teaching and learning, research and creative activity, community involvement and partnerships giving a national and international voice to innovation in her province and beyond.
The University of Alberta is also known as U of A and UAlberta, having a total undergraduate student capacity of over 30,000 and a postgraduate student capacity of over 7,000 comprising of both international and domestic students.
U of A holds global prestige and reputation in various disciplines such as creative arts, the humanities, business, sciences, engineering and health sciences and has contributed greatly to the growth of the Alberta community, Canada and the world as a whole.
The university has four campuses in Edmonton, the North Campus, Augustana Campus, Campus Saint-Jean and South Campus also has an Enterprise Square all in Edmonton, Alberta. These campuses are situated in a convenient, learning-stimulation environment, beautiful surroundings to make your academic pursuit at Alberta a less stressful one.
With a vision to inspire the human spirit through outstanding achievements in learning, discovery and citizenship in a creative community, building one of the world’s greatest universities for the public good, the University of Alberta has what it takes to help achieve your academic dreams to the fullest, developing your potentials through her undergraduate programs and enhancing it through her graduate programs.
The university houses renowned lecturers, professors and top-notch facilities that will help your learning be made easy, sharpen your skills and knowledge and after graduation provide you with world-class degree certificates recognized by organizations from all over the world.
University of Alberta Requirements | Fees, Scholarships, Programs, Rankings
University of Alberta Ranking
The University of Alberta is one of the top research universities in Canada and the world, making new discoveries that have helped to improve human health, businesses and fostering social change which has made the university receive global recognition as a top-ranking university.
In a recent survey conducted by the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings, the University of Alberta ranks 6th in Canada and 136th in the world and the QS World University Rankings ranks the University of Alberta 5th in Canada and 119th in the world.
The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) ranks the University of Alberta fifth in Canada and 101-150 in the world while the US News and World Report Best Global University rank the university 139th in the world and fifth in Canada.
Also, the university’s research performance didn’t go unnoticed and has been noted in several bibliometric university rankings which used citation analysis to evaluate the impact of a university on academic publications.
With this in mind, the University of Alberta ranks 81st in the world and fourth in Canada by the Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World University while the University Ranking by Academic Performance places the university at the 78th position in the globe and fourth in Canada.
The University of Alberta also holds 2,599 Academic awards, the most of any university in Canada. Also, the professors at this institution haven’t gone unnoticed, having won more 3M Teaching Fellowships (Canada’s top award for undergraduate teaching excellence) than any other Canadian university, 42 awards in total.
The programs and faculties at the University of Alberta have also be ranked by various ranking bodies and are also topping the list amongst best programs and faculties in Canada and the world as a whole, you can find them HERE.
University of Alberta Acceptance Rate
The acceptance rate at the University of Alberta is 51% which is slightly competitive, thus be sure to meet all of the necessary eligibility requirements for admissions set out by the school and begin an early application.
University of Alberta Tuition Fees
The tuition fees at the University of Alberta for undergraduate students is between $5,000 and $7,000 and it vary from international and domestic student to degree programs. You can see a breakdown of these fees as well as deadlines HERE.
The University of Alberta also offers various graduate degree programs (masters and PhD) and the tuition fee ranges from $7,000 to $16,000 which varies from international and domestic students to program of study. See a breakdown of the fees and deadlines HERE.
University of Alberta Faculties/School/College
The University of Alberta is home to 18 faculties and dozens of research centres and institutes across her five campuses.
- Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences
- Alberta School of Business
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport and Recreation
- Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
- School of Public Health
- Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Joseph’s College
- Stephen’s College
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Extension
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
These are the faculties at the University of Alberta undertaking various disciplines. It is important that you check the faculty of your choice and ensure it is offering the course of your choice before applying for admission.
University of Alberta Scholarships
The University of Alberta provides many scholarships opportunity for both domestic and international students on all levels of study and degree programs. Some of the scholarships need to be applied for while others do not; as students are considered for the scholarship award based on their academic performance when they are about to enter UAlberta.
An example of this kind of scholarship is the Entrance Scholarship, where national and international students for any degree program with outstanding academic performance are considered for the scholarship automatically.
If you have applied and gained admission into the University of Alberta you are already open to many scholarship opportunities.
University of Alberta Undergraduate Scholarships
The University of Alberta offers over an approximate amount of CAD$28 million in undergraduate scholarships and financial supports annually and her graduate funding rate ranks among the highest in Canada.
As a fresh undergraduate student at the University of Alberta with an admission score average of 90% or above you are eligible to receive a minimum of CAD$9,000 for international student payable over four years while domestic students can receive $30,000 payable over four years.
You can receive more than one scholarship and top students can receive over CAD$29,000, also, you can complete one University of Alberta scholarship application and be considered for several international scholarships, early application is advised.
There are different undergraduate scholarships that the University of Alberta provides to students, these are;
General Undergraduate Scholarships
This section has two kinds of scholarships which are the Application-based Scholarships and Admission-based Scholarships.
Just as the name implies, they are scholarships that undergraduate students need to apply for but before that, you must have applied for admission into an undergraduate degree program.
There are three application-based scholarships at the University of Alberta namely;
- International Entrance Leadership Scholarship worth $5,000
- University of Alberta Centenary Scholarship worth $20,000 and
- University of Alberta Global Citizenship Scholarship for IB Diploma International Students worth from $16,000 to $40,000.
These are scholarships that do not require application awarded to selected students based on their outstanding academic performance entering their first year in the undergraduate degree program. The available scholarships in this section are;
- Campus Saint-Jean International Scholarship
- International Student Scholarship
- University of Alberta Gold Standard Scholarship
- University of Alberta International Country Scholarship
- Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation Award for International Students
These are the scholarships in the General Undergraduate Scholarships section each of these scholarships have different requirements that students need to meet to get the award but the general requirements are;
Requirements for University of Alberta General Undergraduate Scholarships
- The student must have applied for admission to an undergraduate degree program at the University of Alberta.
- Candidate must possess superior excellence in academics, involved in extra-curricular affairs and have demonstrated leadership skills
- For renewable scholarships, students are to maintain satisfactory academic performance to keep receiving the scholarship.
- For the applicable scholarships, apply early.
There are other scholarships for undergraduate students and they are as follow;
Note that these scholarships have different scholarship requirements and eligibility criteria, be sure to go through them in the provided links.
University of Alberta Graduate Scholarships
Getting a graduate degree program is a great way to enhance your skill and knowledge, you are open to bigger opportunities and you have better chances at exploring another field of study and offering your contributions as well.
The University of Alberta offers various graduate degree programs in masters and doctoral studies and to encourage students for this level of study provides a wide array of scholarships, awards and prizes to assist with funding graduate studies.
The scholarships are open for application to both domestic and international students on all graduate programs, while some of the scholarships are provided by the government of Canada some are sponsored by alumni, charity foundation and organizations.
The awards, scholarships are altogether more than 2,000 and have different requirements, eligibility criteria and deadline, see them HERE.
Some of the major scholarships are;
Killiam Trust Scholarships
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council
Canadian Institute of Health Research Council
Social Sciences and Humanitarian Research Council and others.
University of Alberta Requirements for Graduate Scholarship
- Applicants must have applied for admission into a graduate degree program at the University of Alberta and be accepted.
- Obey the eligibility and requirements of the graduate scholarship you are applying to and always apply early.
- Candidates are expected to have outstanding academic excellence, research potential and leadership skills
University of Alberta Admission Requirements
The admission requirements vary from international and domestic student to level of study and degree program but I will still go on to provide the general admission requirements for undergraduate and graduate students.
University of Alberta Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Students
- English language proficiency requirements for all prospective students
- Candidates must have completed senior high school or be in their final year in high school at the time of applying for admission.
- The minimum admission average to be accepted to U of A varies depending on the faculty program of your choice.
- Academic transcripts
- Admission is based on your complete academic history and achievement in three main areas: your grades, your English proficiency and completion of required subjects
- A valid Student visa or student permit for international students
- There are further requirements for foreigners from different countries, see them HERE.
University of Alberta Admission Requirements for Graduate Students
- A valid study permit for international students
- Must have completed a bachelor degree program from the University of Alberta or an accredited university with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- For doctoral degree programs, the candidate must have completed a masters from the University of Alberta or a recognized university with a GPA of 3.0
- English language proficiency test score for all student
- Provision of the GMAT or GRE test scores
- Academic transcripts
- Letters of reference
- Statement of purpose
- Proof of work experience may be required
These are the general requirements for a graduate degree program at the University of Alberta and some departments may have additional or higher admission requirements, to make it much easier click here to see all requirements.
University of Alberta Application Fees
The application fee for an undergraduate program is a non-refundable fee of $125 and CAD $100 for graduate applicants. This is applicable to both international and domestic students.
How to Apply for Admission to the University of Alberta
If you have gathered the necessary documents required by the University of Alberta for your preferred degree program, then you should follow these simple steps to begin the application.
- Choose your preferred graduate or undergraduate degree program
- Review the admission requirements for your degree program and contact the department
- Prepare and apply online.
- Undergraduate applicants should begin application HERE and graduate applicants should apply HERE.
Some Great University of Alberta Notable Alumni
The University of Alberta has produced some notable alumni in various fields that have contributed to the Alberta community, Canada and the world as a whole and their contributions haven’t gone unnoticed. These alumni are;
- Tania Bubela
- John Bell
- Andrew Brook
- James Collip
- Jim Cummins
- Su Guaning
- Joy Johnson
- Bernadette Louise Dean
- Tak Wah Mak
- Joseph B. Martin
- Greg Abel
- Patrick Gilmore
- William Epstein
- Randy Gregg
- Paul Gross
- Violet King Henry
- George Stanley
- Ivan Head
- Jan Randall and lots more
This brings an end to the article, University of Alberta Requirements | Fees, Scholarships, Programs, Ranking, it has helped provide every useful information needed to make your admission into the University of Alberta easy and non-confusing.
The University of Alberta will help to develop your potentials through its diverse degree programs and her certificate is internationally recognized by organizations all over the world this alone has put you ahead of competitors with the same career profile.
- 17 Princeton University Free Online Courses
- University of British Columbia Requirements Fees, Scholarships, Programs, Rankings
- Top 10 Best Online Universities In Australia Currently
- 15 Fully-funded Scholarships For International Student In Europe Currently
- 30 Best Professional Online Certification Courses
Thaddaeus is a lead content creator at SAN with over 5 years of experience in the field of professional content creation. He has written several helpful articles for Blockchain projects in the past and even recently but since 2020, he has been more active in creating guides for students who want to study abroad.
When he's not writing, he's either watching anime, making a delicious meal, or definitely swimming.