Singapore is known to have one of the top prestigious law schools in the world. Enroll in any of the best law schools in Singapore, and see yourself becoming a sort after legal practitioner in the nearest future!
Law is very broad and versatile, and as such, there is one law or the other guiding whatever you’re doing now, and there is someone, right now, breaking a law whether intentionally or not.
So lawyers are needed in numerous situations whether for private reasons or public, whether in the courtroom, at the hospital, in businesses, in the military, in homes, whatever you can think of, a lawyer is needed.
Though interesting, studying law is not so easy, whether you’re studying in any law school in any country of choice. Lawyers have to read, the best of them are known as voracious readers, whether they are using the free online law library or any of the local or federal libraries.
Even in Singapore, their lawyers are voracious and avid readers, so if you are thinking of enrolling in any of their best law schools, be prepared to become a bookworm.
To learn further there are free online law courses that one can take in the comfort of your home, and get a certificate as well while getting busy with other life activities.
There are lawyer consultation websites that one can go to if you need professional consultations on legal matters.
Without wasting time, let’s find out the requirements needed to enter a law school in Singapore!
Requirements To Enter A Law School In Singapore
One must meet colleges’ eligibility requirements to study law in Singapore. These criteria may vary depending on the institutions. A generalized list of criteria is given below:
For Undergraduate (UG) Programmes;
- Indian Standard 12 (Central, State Boards, ISC Boards, and Other Boards) exam results with a good pass in 5 subjects including English. No particular cut-off.
- Proficiency in English: IELTS (minimum 7.0 overall), TOEFL (minimum 600 or 100 with at least 24 in reading and writing each.)
- Additional prerequisites: CV: Extracurricular activities; achievements and awards
- In most colleges, selected students have to pass a test and attend a formal interview.
For Post Graduate (PG) Programmes;
- Good Bachelor’s degree in Law
- 6 months of working experience is required in some colleges/ courses.
- English Proficiency: IELTS (minimum 7.0 overall), TOEFL (minimum 650 or 100)
- Additional Prerequisites: CV, Recommendation letter
- A few universities also conduct the test.
Now that we have talked about the requirements needed to enroll in a law school in Singapore, let’s delve properly into the law schools one after another.
Law Schools in Singapore
- National University of Singapore-Faculty of Law
- University of Warwick
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore University of Social Sciences — School of Law
- BAC College — School of Law
- Sorbonne-Assas International Law school, Singapore
- Kaplan Higher education Academy
- Nanyang Technological University
1. National University of Singapore-Faculty of Law
This law school in Singapore is the first on our list and is also known as one of the top law schools in Asia and the world.
The National University of Singapore Faculty of Law is widely regarded as Asia’s leading law school. Staffed by an outstanding permanent faculty diverse in origin and qualifications, NUS Law is dedicated to building a vibrant community and creating an environment that facilitates critical thinking and reflection on the fundamental legal issues confronting our interconnected world
The Law Faculty currently hosts about 1000 undergraduate and 200 graduate students. Around 10% of the undergraduate students and more than 90% of the graduate students are international students. Their graduate students come from more than 35 countries in Asia, Europe, North and South America, Africa, and Oceania. Local and overseas students all enjoy a world-class education at subsidized fees. Fees are currently being reviewed and may be raised shortly.
2. University of Warwick
This is the next law school located in Singapore on our list. They are a world-leading university with the highest academic and research standards. It s also ranked highly in the lists of great UK and world universities.
Classified under the social sciences, their School of Law degrees take the study of law beyond the skills required to become a lawyer. They produce graduates who can take a critical view of the law, its strengths and weaknesses, and its potential for improving society. Their law school offers various Undergraduate and Graduate Studies.
3. Singapore Management University
Being the next school of law in Singapore on our list, as a premier university in Asia, the Singapore Management University (SMU) is internationally recognized for its world-class research and distinguished teaching.
Established in 2000, the school’s mission is to generate leading-edge research with global impact and to produce broad-based, creative, and entrepreneurial leaders for the knowledge-based economy. SMU’s education is known for its highly interactive, collaborative, and project-based approach to learning.
Home to over 12,000 students across undergraduate, postgraduate professional, and postgraduate research programs, SMU comprises seven schools. Their department of Law s classified under the School f Social Sciences. She offers a wide range of bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D. degree programs in the disciplinary areas associated with its schools, as well as in multidisciplinary combinations of these areas.
4. Singapore University of Social Sciences — School of Law
This is the next on our list of law schools in Singapore. The School of Law (SLAW) focuses on the training and development of high-caliber lawyers specializing in the highly demanded areas of criminal law and family law.
Their programs adopt a pedagogical approach that emphasizes problem-solving by combining the learning of substantive law with the application. Together with exposure to cross-disciplinary areas, their graduates are prepared to face criminal and family legal work that has become increasingly specialized over time.
5. BAC College — School of Law
This is the next on our list of Law Schools in Singapore. BAC College (Singapore) is not just another Private Education Institute in Singapore. They are part of a global education group comprising five colleges and a university college that offers eight very specialized areas of study – all relevant and all designed to transform you into a global graduate!
Within their Group of Colleges, you have the choice of programs of study that range from Pre-U to Law to Business to Digital Media, Design & Communications to Technology & Innovation to Hospitality, Culinary & Tourism to Early Childhood to Psychology! And each of the qualifications is specialized, focused, and future-ready.
6. Sorbonne-Assas International Law school, Singapore
This is the next on our list of Law Schools located in Singapore and has other campus locations in Dubai, Mauritius, and Paris respectively. The University is nationally and internationally recognized as one of the top French universities in Law, committed to ensuring the highest level of excellence, concerning all fields of Law. The School offers different programs, namely;
- LL.M in International Business Law in Dubai, Paris, Mauritius, and Singapore: This Program prepares students and professionals to master important cross-border mergers or financial transactions, funding, restructuring, LBO, financial engineering, and setting-up up industrial projects.
- A Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) in Mauritius: This is a 3-years program dedicated to HSC / BAC graduates. It offers a unique blend of Common law, Civil law, Mauritian law, and International Law. By emphasizing on core business and international legal issues, it provides an in-depth view of key legal subjects and is undoubtedly a strong basis for any legal career.
An Executive Education program in Singapore, with seminars on request, tailored to educate and enhance the skills of lawyers, managers, and in-house counsels in specific legal fields related to International Business.
7. Kaplan Higher Education Academy
This is the next on our list of Law Schools in Singapore. Kaplan has a wide range of full-time or part-time Diplomas, across several disciplines, providing entry to over 300 Degree programs offered by their renowned partner universities. With the possible completion of 8 modules in 8 months1, the Diploma programs are structured to equip you with industry-relevant knowledge in your field of study. They offer a Diploma in legal studies. The Diploma program consists of 8 modules and may be completed in 8 months. The following modules are covered in the program:
- Commercial Law
- Criminal Law
- Family Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Introduction to the Singaporean and International Legal Systems
- Law of Tort and Civil Obligation
- Property Law and Conveyance
- Wills and Estates
8. Nanyang Technological University
This is the last on our list of schools offering law in Singapore. Young and research-intensive, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU Singapore) has 33,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students in engineering, business, science, humanities, arts, social sciences, education, and medicine. In addition to its main campus in the western part of Singapore, NTU also has a medical campus in Novena, Singapore’s healthcare district.
Ranked among the world’s top universities, NTU is home to world-class institutes – the National Institute of Education, S Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Earth Observatory of Singapore, and Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering.
These schools discussed above are the schools of law in Singapore that students interested in pursuing a career in law can enroll in and kick start that career!
Let me stop here and summarize by answering some frequently asked questions about Law Schools in Singapore.
Law Schools in Singapore – FAQs
How Long Does It Take To Become A Lawyer In Singapore
The LLB program can be completed in 4.5 to 6 years, and the JD program can be completed in 4 to 6 years.
Do Law Schools In Singapore Accept International Students
Yes, Law Schools in Singapore accept International students.
What Is The Cheapest Law School In Singapore?
The National University of Singapore (NUS) is the cheapest law school in Singapore. The tuition fee for UG programs starts from S$17,550 and goes up to S$64,650 for some courses.