Are you an international student, looking for a State where you can get solid internship training? Seize your search, because this article on internships in UK for International students will satisfy your curiosity!
First off, let’s have an overview of what an internship is. An internship is industrial training undertaken by a student in an organization. It is also the position of a student or trainee who works in an organization, sometimes without pay, to gain work experience or satisfy requirements for a qualification. This internship is done for a limited period usually six months to a year.
There are various types of internships, depending on the organization or degree of the student involved. They are as follows;
- Paid internships: This type of internship is common in professional fields including medicine, architecture, science, engineering, law, business (especially accounting and finance), technology, and advertising.
- Unpaid Internship: These are typically through non-profit charities and think tanks which often have unpaid or volunteer positions
- Partially – Paid Internship: This is when students are paid in the form of a stipend
- Virtual Internship: These are internships that are done remotely via email, phone, and web communication.
- International Internship: These are internships done in a country other than the one in the country of residence. These internships can either be in person or done remotely.
- Returnship: These are internships for experienced workers looking to return to the workforce after taking time away to care for parents or children.
In this article, we would be focusing on international Internships done by students that are not residents of the State.
There are online internships that one can enroll in and work remotely as well as get a certificate after the duration of training.
For international students who are interested in enrolling in a business school to get an MBA degree, there are cheap MBA business schools in the UK that you can enroll in without breaking the bank
Now, having gotten a little knowledge on what an internship is and the types, let’s answer some relevant questions about the internship opportunities in the UK for International students.
Can International Students Intern in UK?
Yes, International Students are allowed to do both paid and unpaid internships in the UK, under the UK labor laws.
Unpaid internships are much more common than paid ones, and due to this, students often look for part-time work. Usually, students will get academic credit or some kind of non-monetary perks during their internship.
For an international student, the UK is one of the most exclusive countries to find internships and job offers. The country boasts multicultural education goodwill and offers a welcoming environment that makes it fun for many students to find an internship.
Paid internships in the UK for international students act as a bridge between education and work. It prepares the students, for how to face real-world challenges before their graduation.
How to get an Internship in UK as an International Student
Finding a suitable internship in a new country isn’t easy for any international student. Here are a few tips on how to get a perfect internship in the UK for international students:
Pages and Groups on LinkedIn: The site is solely dedicated to professional networking. There are several pages and groups on LinkedIn that help students advance their careers. They post internship options regularly. Students can search for internships in the UK from the LinkedIn platform.
Internship Portals: There are several internship portals in the UK where students can find and apply for internships. Some of the portals are:
- Student Circus: It is primarily for students with Tier 4 visas.
- Milkround: it consists of more than 1000 Internship opportunities for students.
- TARGET Jobs: They have internship options and professional advice from the experts on the platform.
- E4S: You can find short-term summer internships. Part-time jobs and full-time jobs on the platform.
- Rate My Placement: Students can find internships here. Also, the platform solves all queries related to finding one. You can also learn ways to excel in the internship through this platform.
Other platforms are; Through Universities, Government Websites, Company Websites, Social Media, and Through your Network.
Without further ado, let’s delve properly into internships in the UK for International Students.
Internships in UK for International Students
There are numerous Colleges and Universities in the UK that offer Internship opportunities to both residents of the State and International Students, as well as Courses that one can get Internships on as an international student. I will be listing and writing in detail, a few of these schools, and the courses will be tabularized together with the duration of the Internships. Seat tight and read through!
- Queen Mary University of London
- Royal Holloway, University of London
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Loughborough University
- University of Central Lancashire
- Sheffield Hallam University
- Coventry University
- Middlesex University
- University of Leicester
- Anglia Ruskin University
- University of Bristol
1. Queen Mary University of London
This is the first school in the UK on our list that offers internships for International Students. The school offers students the opportunity to undertake an internship as part of the Study Abroad Programme.
Internship opportunities are run in collaboration with the school’s partner, Arcadia University, the College of Global Studies through the London Internship Programme.
Placement options include Advertising; arts; business operations; film & television; accounting and entrepreneurship; hospitality; journalism; law; politics (including Parliament); marketing; non-governmental organizations; psychology; public relations; and theatre.
2. Royal Holloway, University of London
This is the next on the list of schools in the UK that offer Internship opportunities for International students.
The school offers both internship and insight days for her students. Their Internships are usually aimed at penultimate year students, though some are specifically for graduates. There are very few internships open to first years, though there are many insight days. First-year internships (sometimes called “Spring programs”) tend to be in business and finance-related industries.
Insight days are offered primarily by larger companies in the business, finance, and legal sectors. Insight days usually comprise several talks, activities, and the opportunity to chat with current employees.
Insight days are typically designed for first years but are sometimes open to students from other years. Sometimes insight days can be several days or even a week.
3. Manchester Metropolitan University
This is the next school on our list in the UK that offers internships for international students. The school offers post-graduate internships for her master’s students.
Internships through the Postgraduate Internship Programme are short-term periods of work experience that can start anytime between November and early August the following year.
Internships through the scheme must be for 100 hours in length and can be completed flexibly to fit around your academic commitments, for example, you could complete your internship part-time during term time (e.g. 1 or 2 days per week), or full-time or part-time during University holidays and/or during the period from May to August when you will be working on your dissertation.
An internship through the Postgraduate Internship Programme may be working within an organization’s office to support the daily workload or may require you to work on a specific project that the company does not have the internal resource to undertake.
4. Loughborough University
This is the next on our list of schools that offer Internship opportunities in the UK for International students. The school offers paid internships for international students in their final year.
5. University of Central Lancashire
This is the next school on our list that offers internship opportunities in the UK for International students. The school offers internships in the following courses; International Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management.
6. Sheffield Hallam University
This is the next school in the UK on our list that offers internship opportunities for International students. The school offers all final-year undergraduate and postgraduate students the chance to apply for their Hallam Internships Programme.
Their students can apply for internships with a range of employers from varying industries to help boost their experience and skills when they start applying for graduate roles or further study. These opportunities have been found especially for them, and if successful, they will be supported throughout their internship by the employer and the University.
7. Coventry University
This is the next school in the UK on our list that offers internship opportunities o International students. The faculty of Engineering, Environment, and computing offers summer internships to her students.
The EEC summer research internship program provides an opportunity for students to work closely with Coventry University researchers on a defined research project. The project will be linked closely to the Faculty’s research agenda as part of an existing research project, or as part of the preparatory work for a new project.
They have projects from across the research areas in the Faculty and if your application is successful, you will be working with leading researchers on existing and new research projects.
If you are one of the successful students, you can expect to:
- Increase your understanding of the research environment
- Gain invaluable experience while getting paid
- Develop research skills that will benefit your current course and enhance your career prospects
- Gain exposure to real-life research projects
- Build an increased interest in undertaking a research career and potentially undertake a Ph.D. at Coventry
8. Middlesex University
This is the next school in the UK on our list that offers internship opportunities for International students. The placement options that are available to you will depend on the course you study, however, many courses at the school will allow you to complete a year-long placement where you can immerse yourself in a relevant role. The school offers internship programs to its students in the following areas; Art and Creative Industries, Business, Law, Science, and technology.
9. University of Leicester
This is the next school in the UK on our list that offers internship opportunities for International students. The school has two streams of placements;
- A Year in Industry for Undergraduates: A year in industry is a 9-12 month paid position undertaken between the second and third year of a degree, normally starting in July or August. The opportunity provides students with real-world experience related to their degree.
Their Year in Industry students come from a range of subjects including:
- All courses in the College of Science and Engineering;
- All courses in the School of Business;
- Biosciences (including Natural Sciences)
- An industrial Placement for Postgraduates: An Industrial Placement is aimed at postgraduate students in technical subjects who are looking for a 3, 6, 9, or 12-month work placement after the taught section of their Master’s. Placement start dates vary between February and July depending on the cohort. Their postgraduates come from backgrounds in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Geography.
10. Anglia Ruskin University
This is the next school in the UK that offers internships for International students. The school offers a 12 – week summer paid internship program for its students. Students can work both part-time as well as full-time, as well as receive a £9.50 per hour rate in the first six weeks which is fully funded by the university. The paid internships are available for undergraduate students in multiple fields such as Digital marketing, IT, Data research, and analysis.
11. University of Bristol
This is the last on the list of schools offering internships in the UK for International students. The school offers paid internships and allows students to take their internships from small and medium enterprises to start-up companies. They pay internships around £8.12. The internships at Bristol are available only for undergraduate students. The internship will be carried out remotely and it adds value to the student’s CV.
List of Courses in UK that Offers Internship Opportunities to International Students
These schools and courses mentioned and discussed above, are open to offering Internship Opportunities to International Students, who are interested in applying for any of them.
Let’s call this article a wrap by answering some frequently asked questions about Internships in the UK for International students!
Internships in UK for International Students – FAQs
[sc_fs_faq html=”true” headline=”h3″ img=”” question=”How much do interns in the UK make? ” img_alt=”” css_class=””] The average internship salary in the United Kingdom is £23,260 per year or £11.93 per hour. Entry-level positions start at £21,000 per year while most experienced workers make up to £35,504 per year. [/sc_fs_faq]Recommendations
- Max Planck Summer Internship Requirements & Application
- How To Become a Paramedic in the UK
- Best Law Schools in the UK
- Top MBA Scholarships in UK
- Best Art Universities in the UK