In this free guide, we exposed the top best scholarships for mature students in Canada that qualified students can enter application for and have a fair chance of being listed.
Financial aids are not only designed for younger students as there scholarships for older students. Thus, this article contains information on scholarships for mature students in Canada. So, if you are an adult without funds and you are nursing the intention of acquiring a degree, then, here are financial aids that can help you out.
Mature students are usually students who start their undergraduate degrees above 21 years of age or graduate degrees over the age of 25. However, age is no barrier to education. Most mature students have been out of school for some years due to certain reasons. It could be as a result of family or personal reasons.
On the other hand, some of these students decide to return back to school to acquire degrees so as to advance their careers or change their career paths.
Check the table of contents below to see the highlights of the article.
Can mature students get scholarships?
Yes. Most people always think that scholarships are designed only for younger students.
However, there are several financial aids for mature students who wish to resume academics in colleges or universities. You will see most of these scholarships for mature students in this article.
Are there grants for mature students?
Of course. There are lots of grants available to mature students to enable fund their education so as to acquire a degree.
Scholarships For Mature Students In Canada
The scholarships for mature students in Canada include:
- NADC Medical Student Bursary (return service bursary)
- Graduate Citizenship Award for Mature Students in Canada
- Arts Graduate Scholarships
- Alberta Award for the Study of Canadian Human Rights and Multiculturalism
- NADC Bursary for Mature Students
- Rotary Club of Vernon Scholarships for Mature Students Canada
- Active Living Scholarship Fund
- CanLearn (Canada Student Grants)
- CN North America’s Railroad
- Ontario Special Bursary Program (OSBP)
- St. Thomas – Elgin Tourism Scholarship Fund for Mature Students in Canada
NADC Medical Student Bursary (return service bursary)
The Medical and Dentistry Student Bursary is a return service bursary that encourages medical students in Alberta to practice in northern Alberta after completion of their medical degree program.
Winners of the financial aid will not pay back the bursary if they agree to live and work in the north. The worth of the bursary is $12,000 or $24,000 annually for a period of four (4) years of the medical program. This bursary is one of the best scholarships for mature students in Canada.
- Applicants must have been a resident of Alberta for 12 consecutive months before the start of their program
- Candidates will have to be enrolled in a medical program designated for provincial funding
- Applicants should be ready to live and work in northern Alberta upon completion of their residency and sign a return service contract
- Candidates must never be in default of a provincial student loan
Graduate Citizenship Award
The Graduate Citizenship Award is designed to acknowledge the contributions that graduate students make in Alberta through volunteer services including student government, student societies, clubs, organizations, or community work.
Recipients are selected by the Graduate Student Association at the higher institution of learning that the recipients are currently attending. The universities where the award is applied include the University of Alberta, University of Lethbridge, University of Calgary, and Athabasca University.
The scholarship amount is 2,000CAD. It is one of the top scholarships for mature students in Canada.
- Candidates must be citizens of Canada who are residing in Alberta
- Applicants will have to be enrolled for full-time graduate studies in a university in Alberta.
- Candidates should not be attending high school currently
Arts Graduate Scholarships
The Art Graduate Scholarships are provided to students residing in Alberta and are enrolled or planning to enroll in full-time graduate studies either in music, drama, dance, literary arts, or visual arts.
The scholarships can be used for graduate studies at institutions around the world.
Winners of the scholarship will receive 15,000CAD.
Alberta Award for the Study of Canadian Human Rights and Multiculturalism
This scholarship is designed to encourage graduate students that will bring value for Albertans by promoting informed thinking about Canadian human rights, cultural diversity, and multiculturalism. It will also help students to pursue graduate studies in Canadian human rights, cultural diversity, and multiculturalism, and capacity building to undertake human rights or multicultural work in Canada.
Additionally, the scholarship is sponsored through an endowment by the Human Rights Education and Multiculturalism Fund and is administered jointly by the Alberta Human Rights Commission and Alberta Advanced Education. It is one of the scholarships for mature students in Canada.
The scholarship value is 10,000CAD.
The NADC Bursary is a return service bursary offered to students in the final two years of post-secondary studies. It is designed to fund the education of students so that they can be trained for high-demand jobs in northern Alberta such as education, social work, medical & health, engineering, and technical fields.
Qualified applicants will be awarded $6,000 per year for a maximum of two years.
As one of the best scholarships for mature students in Canada, winners will be decided by a selection committee based on applicants:
- program of studies and the demand for career program in northern Alberta
- knowledge of northern Alberta
- academic record
- answers to essay questions, and
- financial need
Rotary Club of Vernon Scholarships
The Rotary Club of Venom Scholarships is available to Vernon Area residents pursuing a trade program at the Kalamalka Campus of Okanagan College.
This foundation continues its mission of offering numerous financial aids to students annually. The total amount of aids awarded is $10,500. It includes:
- One scholarship of $1000 to each of the area’s five high schools.
- O.K.College: Two academic scholarships at $1,000 each.
- O.K. College: One scholarship of $1000 for Aircraft Maintenance training.
- O.K. College: Two new scholarships at $1,000 each for training in the trades.
- Vernon Music School: One scholarship of $500.
The scholarship is renewable and recipients will be selected by the respective institutions and not by the Rotary club. In addition, the scholarship will cover tuition and books.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a trade program of at least 12 credit hours each fall and spring semester.
- Candidates must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Active Living Scholarship Fund
The Ohio Ontario International Games through Elgin-St. Thomas Community Foundation offers the Active Living Scholarship Fund.
This financial aid is designed to support adults in higher institutions in the area of physical activity.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada as well as residents of Elgin County.
- Candidates will have to be enrolled in an accredited college or university that has a recognized sporting association.
- Applicants must have completed Grade 12 in the previous year.
- Candidates should possess leadership abilities and show willingness towards the importance of participation and inclusion over the importance of winning.
CanLearn (Canada Student Grants)
The Canada Student Grant for Part-Time Studies is available to adult students who are enrolled in a part-time undergraduate or graduate degree program of at least 12 weeks long within a 15-week period at a designated institution in Canada. It is sponsored by the Canadian government.
The value of the grant is 1,200 CAD per academic year. It is one of the scholarships for mature students in Canada.
- Candidates will have applied and qualified for student financial assistance (have at least a $1 of assessed financial need).
- Applicants must come from low-income families as defined by the Canada Student Loans Program.
- Candidates should be enrolled in a degree, diploma, or certificate program (at least 12 weeks long within a period of 15 weeks in a row) at a designated post-secondary institution.
CN North America’s Railroad
CN North America’s Railroad offers scholarships to encourage outstanding adult students. These adult students are best-in-class women, military veterans, and students of aboriginal heritage, who are studying in fields specific to CN’s core business including, Engineering, Transportation, Sales & Marketing, Human Resources, Aboriginal Studies, Law, and Accounting & Finance.
Ontario Special Bursary Program (OSBP)
The Ontario Special Bursary Program (OSBP) is designed for adult students to pursue undergraduate degrees, diplomas, or training program certificates.
Additionally, the students will have to undertake the academic programs on a part-time basis by taking less than 60% course-load (for permanently disabled students – less than 40% course-load).
- Applicants must come from low-income families. income
- Candidates should have no previous post-secondary attendance
- Applicants will have to show proof of support as to why attending they are on a part-time basis only.
The bursary will cover the cost of tuition fees, books, babysitting, and transportation costs.
St. Thomas – Elgin Tourism Scholarship Fund
St. Thomas-Elgin Tourism Scholarship is designed to help students pursue higher education in areas of study that support travel and tourism. The scholarship is offered by St. Thomas-Elgin Tourism Association.
- Applicants will have to be citizens of Canada and be a resident of Elgin County.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a tourism-related program.
- Applicants should show evidence of completion of the first-year program and enrolment in the second year of the post-secondary tourism-related program at a recognized institution.
- Top Grants For Non-Traditional Students
- Highest Paying Engineering Jobs In Canada
- How To Win Ph.D. Scholarships in Canada
- Theology Scholarships in Canada for International Students
- Best Post Graduate Scholarships in Canada for all Students