Here you will find all the necessary information concerning the University of Calgary that will help in your admission application process or scholarship application on any level and program of study.
Canada is home to some of the top-leading institutions in the world, providing excellent education to her citizens and foreigners included lots of well-established alumni all over the world graduated from Canadian universities and prospective students in high school and universities want to study in one of Canada’s universities for their undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs.
The University of Calgary is one of the top institutions in Canada and in the world too and many people aspire to pursue their preferred degree at the school, through this article you will learn all you need to know, such as admission requirements, scholarship and other financial aid options, available programs, acceptance rate, rankings, tuition fees and others that will help to facilitate your degree pursuit here.
The University of Calgary, Canada
In this section, you will learn about the brief history and some of the major contributions that the University of Calgary has offered to the world through her unique teachings and other reasons that may help you to consider getting a degree there.
The University of Calgary is a comprehensive research-intensive institution of higher learning located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The university was officially established in April 1966, composing of 14 faculties and more than 85 research centres and institutes which are still in existence to date but are now state-of-the-art with modern equipment and setting.
Through her multiple research centres, institute and 14 faculties the University of Calgary offers various undergraduate, master and doctoral degree programs that are designed to offer students the best kind of skills, hands-on experience and knowledge that will successfully develop them academically and career-wise.
The University of Calgary is considered a “CARU” which means comprehensive academic and research university, CARUs offers a range of academic and professional programs, which generally lead to undergraduate and graduate-level credentials, and have a strong research focus.
Based on the number of Canada Research Chairs, the University of Calgary is one of the top research universities in Canada with a sponsored research revenue of $380.4 million, with total revenues exceeding $1.2 billion. The university maintains close ties to the petroleum and geoscience industry through the Department of Geosciences and the Schulich School of Engineering.
The University of Calgary’s enrollment is approximately 26,000 undergraduate and 6,000 graduate students, international students included, and offers over 250 programs in post-secondary education awarding bachelors, masters and doctorate degrees.
University of Calgary’s Campuses
The university has campuses around the Alberta province and even outside of Canada, the campuses are;
- Main Campus; located northwest of Downtown Calgary
- Health Sciences Campus; this is the University of Calgary medical school sharing a site with the Foothills Medical Centre some distances south of the main campus
- Downtown Campus
- Spy Hill Campus
- Qatar Campus; established by the University of Calgary and located in Doha, Qatar, offering only nursing education.
These are the 5 main campuses of the University of Calgary.
University of Calgary Requirements | Fees, Scholarships, Programs, Rankings
The University of Calgary Faculties/Schools
The University of Calgary has 14 faculties that offer interdisciplinary programs in bachelor, masters, and doctorate degree studies.
Faculty of Nursing
Schulich School of Engineering
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Social Work
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Werklund School of Education
Faculty of Arts
Cumming School of Medicine
School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Haskayne School of Business
Faculty of Kinesiology
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Nursing (Qatar)
The University of Calgary Rankings
The University of Calgary has received quite a lot of academic recognition both nationally and globally and has been ranked by various world university ranking platforms.
- For the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), the University of Calgary ranked in the 151-200 range internationally, and number 6-9 nationally.
- For the Centre for World University Rankings (CWUR), the University of Calgary ranked on number 8 position in Canada and 184th
- In Maclean’s latest university rankings, the University of Calgary ranked 9th overall in the Medical/Doctoral category.
- The QS World University Rankings placed the University of Calgary at 9th in Canada and 233rd
- By Re$earch Infosource, the university ranks 6th place in Canada
- In international category, Time Higher Education (THE) ranks the university in the range of 201-250 and nationally it ranks 8th.
- By U.S News and World Report, the university ranks 178th in the global category and placed 7th in Canada.
- Times Higher Education (THE) Golden Age, ranks the University of Calgary in No.1 in Canada and 25th
- Others: no. 6 top research university in Canada, 169 research chairs, 360 new inventions and innovations since 2017, Canada’s best diversity employers with a 94.1% graduate employment rate and Alberta’s top 75 employers since 2017 till date.
These are the rankings that the University of Calgary has received and these analyses were recently conducted.
The University of Calgary Acceptance Rate
The acceptance rate of the University of Calgary is at 10-20%, it is a highly competitive university to get into and requires an outstanding academic profile from prospective students.
University of Calgary Tuition Fees
The tuition fees at the University of Calgary vary from international and domestic students to level and program of study.
For undergraduate students, the tuition fee for a domestic student is CND$5,593.5 and CND$12,695.9 for international students. See a breakdown of the fees here.
For graduate students, the tuition fee for domestic student ranges from CND$3,464 – CND$12,609.42 and for international students, ranges from CND$8,081 – CND$29,027.22 to see a breakdown of the fees click here.
University of Calgary Scholarships
The University of Calgary offers multiple scholarships, awards, bursaries and other forms of financial aid to her students whether domestic or international in undergraduate and graduate programs. The annual scholarships are worth millions of dollars and often awarded to students with outstanding academic performance, leadership ability and involvement in community or other school activities.
The scholarships are designed to encourage students to work harder and concentrate on their studies without worrying about how to go about payment of education costs. Some scholarships are fully funded which means they cover all education cost of the student while partially funded scholarships only cover half or part of the students’ education cost.
The eligibility of the scholarships is mainly merit-based or need-based requirements, merit-based meaning that the scholarships are awarded to students with excellent academic record/achievement while need-based scholarships are the kind that are awarded to students with financial issues, who come from impoverished background or families or students from war-torn countries.
Whatever the case, awarded a scholarship by the University of Calgary means you get to pursue your preferred degree program from one of the top leading institutions in Canada and the world. Some of these scholarships are sponsored by the Canadian government, alumni of the University of Calgary, generous individuals, charity foundations and the board of the university as well.
The scholarships are different thus their requirements are different which is why it is important that you check the requirements of each of the scholarships before applying so you do not apply for the wrong one. However, all the scholarships have a general eligibility criteria which are;
- You must be applying or already enrolled in the University of Calgary
- You must either fall in the merit-based or need-based category
- Check the requirements of any scholarship you want to apply for.
There are external awards that you are also encouraged to apply for, always apply for any scholarship application before the deadline and apply for more than one to increase your chances of winning.
Some of the common awards at the University of Calgary include the following.
University of Calgary Prestige Scholarship Awards
The university values its high achieving entering students and these awards are for those students, the featured awards in this category are;
- Schulich Leader Scholarship
- Chancellor’s Scholarship
- Ena Lee Leaders in Business Scholarship
- Leader in Health Sciences Scholarship
- Seymour Schulich Academic Excellence
- Seymour Schulich Community
- Richard and Lois Haskayne Legacy Scholarship
- Ucalgary International Entrance Scholarship
These are the number of scholarships and awards available in the prestige awards section, see a breakdown of their eligibility criterion here
University of Calgary Entrance Awards
You are automatically considered for thess scholarship award when you apply for admission into the University of Calgary. The scholarships in this category are the;
- President’s Admission Scholarship
- University of Calgary International Baccalaureate Diploma Entrance Scholarship
University of Calgary Continuing Awards
To students continuing their studies at the university, the University of Calgary offers both competitive and nominated awards to continue their studies in programs leading to a bachelor degree.
See award deadline and application process
University of Calgary International Awards
These are awards, scholarships and other forms of financial aids offered to international students enrolled in a program at the University of Calgary. The awards in this section are;
- Margaret Saunders Bursary in Education
- U of C Alumni Association International Student Bursary
- Romeo and Eva De Guia Scholarship
University of Calgary Professional Program Awards
These are awards, scholarships and bursaries provided to support students in professional degree programs, it is especially for students in the Cumming School of Medicine (MD), the Faculty of Law (Juris Doctor (JD) program), and the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) program). See a breakdown of the requirements and how to apply
University of Calgary External and Government Funded Scholarship Awards
There are a number of external awards sponsored by various sources and all have a variety of criteria and deadlines. Some of these scholarships are
- Rhodes Scholarships
- Husky Energy Scholarship Program
- Alberta Student Aid Scholarship
- Government of Canada Scholarship
- Loran Scholars Foundation
Aside the professional program award listed above graduate students are also eligible for a number of awards, fellowships, scholarships and other financial aids which are provided by the government of Canada, foundations, etc. and administered through the University of Calgary.
Graduate Scholarships at the University of Calgary
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation Scholarship
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Fullbright Canada
- Indigenous external awards
- Alberta Graduate Excellence Scholarships
- Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s
The University of Calgary Admission Requirements
The following are the general admission requirements for the University of Calgary
- For candidates aspiring to enter an undergraduate degree program, you must have finished high school or in your final year before applying.
- For candidates aspiring to enter a graduate degree program must have completed and earned a 4-year bachelor degree program.
- Admission requirements vary by where you are from and the program you are entering, make sure you check them out.
- International students must have a valid Canadian study permit.
- Students whose first language is not English must take any of the English language proficiency tests and submit the scores
- Submit official transcripts and other supplementary application, varies by program
- Graduate students should have the following supporting documents;
B. Statement of purpose
C. Written work
The University of Calgary Application Fee
The application fee at the University of Calgary is $125 for domestic students and $145 for international students.
How to Apply for Admission to the University of Calgary
The following are the steps to apply for admission to the University of Calgary, begin your application early so you can be considered for both admissions and awards;
- Firstly select your preferred program
- Check the admission requirements for your desired program
- Begin application, submit required documents and pay the application fee
- Complete application and await further instructions which will be sent through your provided email.
- For undergraduate students see application deadline here, and for graduate students application deadline, click here
Some Great University of Calgary Notable Alumni
The University of Calgary has over 170,000 alumni in 152 countries, and some of them are;
- James Gosling
- Garrett Camp
- Stephen Harper
- Robert Thirsk
- Gary Burns
- Samuel Weiss
- Kristina Groves
- Chris le Bihan
- Christine Nesbitt
- Arne Dankers
- George Grey
- Hayley Wickenheiser
- Sharon Carstairs
- Jessica Greg
- Theo de Raadt
- Ian Brodie
- Al Duerr
- Daniel Federkeil
- Ronald Wright
- Diane Ablonczy
- Larissa Lai
- Gary Mar and others.
These are the necessary details that would help you secure admission, scholarships at the University of Calgary and enjoin in the world-class education the institution provides to her students.
Thaddaeus is a lead content creator at SAN with over 5 years of experience in the field of professional content creation. He has written several helpful articles for Blockchain projects in the past and even recently but since 2020, he has been more active in creating guides for students who want to study abroad.
When he's not writing, he's either watching anime, making a delicious meal, or definitely swimming.