Canada tops the list of study abroad destinations for students all over the world due to its numerous scholarships and the nation’s world-class system of education. In this article, we will look at the various easy Canadian scholarships that are available to both local and international students.
These scholarships are sponsored by the Canadian government, non-governmental organizations, and certain higher institutions in Canada.
If you wish to have a glance at the scholarship list, check the table of contents below.
Is it easy to get a scholarship in Canada?
Winning a scholarship in Canada to study may not be that easy but it is very achievable. This is because many students worldwide have gained one scholarship or the other to study in Canada.
Statistics show that over 2,000 students receive up to 17,000CAD annually to pursue degree programs at universities in Canada.
Top Easy Canadian Scholarships For Students
The following easy Canadian scholarships are available to students to finance their education in an accredited college or university in Canada:
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
- IDRC Research Awards
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships
- Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s Program
- Canada Memorial Scholarship
- Anne Vallee Ecological Fund
- Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowships
- Global Student Contest Scholarships
- UBC Graduate Scholarships
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships
- Carleton Prestige Scholarships
- Winnipeg President’s Scholarships for World Leaders
- Calgary International Entrance Scholarships
- York University International Student Scholarship
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
The Canadian government offers the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships to local and international students pursuing postgraduate studies in natural and social sciences or health research.
Every year, over 70 fellowships are offered and distributed equally among the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
The value of the fellowship is $70,000 taxable annually for a maximum period of 2 years.
- Candidates who are not citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their award at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a university abroad may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution.
- Candidates who are citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who acquired their PhD, PhD-equivalent, or health professional degree from an institution in Canada may hold their fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
- Applicants should never hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position, nor can they be on leave from such a position.
- Candidates must hold or have held agency-specific (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) awards at the postdoctoral level prior to the application.
IDRC Research Awards
The International Development Research Centre (IDRC) is offering research opportunities to Canadians and students from developing countries that are pursuing doctoral degrees at recognized universities in Canada so as to find solutions for global development challenges.
Meanwhile, these students will be given funding to undertake research and gain hands-on experience in research and program management for a duration of one year.
IDRC Research Awards is one of the easy Canadian scholarships.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada, or citizens of a developing country, excluding countries in Southern and Eastern Europe, South Caucasus, and Central Asia (excluding Afghanistan).
- Candidates will have to be enrolled for doctoral-level programs at an accredited university in Canada.
- Applicant’s proposed field of research must take place in one or more developing countries and be conducted for a doctoral dissertation. In addition, the field of research should correspond to IDRC thematic priorities.
- Candidates must show proof of affiliation with an institution or organization in the developing region(s) in which the research will take place.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) is designed to fund the education of world-class doctoral students so as to retain them back in the country. These students will go on to establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning.
The scholarships are geared towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.) in natural sciences and/or engineering research, social sciences, and/or humanities research.
- Candidates must never hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
- Applicants should hold a first-class average in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent.
- Candidates must have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies.
NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships
NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships are designed to offer financial assistance to outstanding students pursuing a doctoral degree program in natural science and engineering. This financial aid is one of the easy Canadian scholarships that support students for their studies.
The awards that recipients of the scholarship will receive include one of the following:
- Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarships-Doctoral (CGS-D):
$35,000 per year for 36 months
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships-Doctoral (PGS-D): $21,000 per year for 36 months
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- Applicants must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC, or any other Canadian research funding organization for reasons of breach of standards of ethics or integrity.
- Candidates must never owe any debts to the NSERC including having paid and/or returned any money owed to NSERC.
Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s Program
The Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s (CGSM) Program is provided for outstanding graduate students to help them develop research skills. It is administered by the Tri-council. The Tri-council distributes these scholarships to universities indicating the number of awards that each institution can offer their students annually.
Recipients must use the CGSM award at the university that offered them the financial aid.n The CGSM award is one of the easy Canadian scholarships for local students.
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- Applicants must possess a first-class average (3.5 GPA or A- average at U of T), in each of the last two completed years of study (full-time equivalent).
- Candidates will have to be enrolled in, have applied for, or will apply for full-time admission to a master’s or doctoral-level degree program at a Canadian university with a CGS M allocation.
Canada Memorial Scholarship
The Canada Memorial Foundation offers master’s scholarships to both UK students wishing to study in Canada and Canadian students wishing to pursue their studies in the UK.
The scholarship is just for one year and it will cover airfares, fees, maintenance, accommodations, and other allowances. However, students applying for courses whose duration is more than a year will have to show evidence of personal additional funding that will enable them to complete the course.
The CMF Scholarship is one of the easy Canadian scholarships for local and British students.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada and the UK.
- Candidates must hold, or expect to hold, a first-class or second-class upper Honours degree.
- Applicants will have to show leadership and ambassadorial qualities as well as strong academic credentials.
- Candidates must show interest in their chosen field of study and reasons for wanting to study in Canada.
Anne Vallee Ecological Fund
The Anne Valle Ecological Fund (AVEF) is designed to providing funding to students carrying out research at the master’s or doctoral degree levels in a university in Quebec or British Columbia. In other words, the AVEF aid offers financial assistance for field research in animal ecology, in relation to the impact of human activities such as forestry, industry, agriculture, and fishing.
Winners will receive a scholarship amount of $1,500. The AVEF scholarship is one of the easy Canadian scholarships.
- Applicants from Canada or other countries can apply.
Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowships
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation offers scholarships to assist outstanding doctoral students pursuing research in one or more of the Foundation’s Four Themes: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada and the World, and People and their Natural Environment.
Up to sixteen (16) recipients benefit from this award to fund their doctoral degree studies as well as leadership training in the context of Brave Spaces.
- Candidates must be enrolled full-time to pursue a doctoral degree in humanities or social sciences.
- Applicants who are residents and non-residents of Canada can apply.
- Candidates’ dissertation must relate to at least one of the Foundation’s four themes including Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada and the World, People and their Natural Environment.
Global Student Contest Scholarships
The Global Student Contest Scholarships are provided to assist outstanding students. It is only offered to graduate students who apply and matriculate to a graduate program participating in the KAS application.
The scholarship value varies from $500 to $1,500.
- Applicants will have applied to a graduate program using the KAS program application.
- Candidates should have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Applicants must be ready to commence full-time studies on-campus.
- Undergraduate students are eligible to apply.
UBC Graduate Scholarships
The province of British Columbia offers financial aids to excellent students to pursue graduate programs and research in fields including science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
Beneficiaries will receive $15,000 in scholarships to cover the cost of tuition, books, and other fees at UBC.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships
The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship at the University of Toronto is designed to recognize international students who demonstrate exceptional academic achievement and creativity and who are recognized as leaders within their institutions.
In addition, the scholarship will cover tuition, books, accommodation, and incidental fees for a duration of four years. The financial aid is tenable only at the University of Toronto for new incoming undergraduate students. It is one of the easy Canadian scholarships for students.
- Candidates must be an international student
- Applicants should be in their final year in secondary school or have graduated no earlier than June the previous year.
- Candidates must plan to start their studies at the University of Toronto in September.
- Applicants who are already attending a post-secondary institution will not be eligible.
Carleton Prestige Scholarships
Carleton University offers several financial aids (Prestige scholarships) to outstanding new incoming undergraduate students that have an admission average of 90% or higher.
The Prestige Scholarships include the Chancellor’s Scholarship, the Richard Lewar Entrance Scholarship, the Carleton University Scholarship of Excellence, the Carleton University SHAD Scholarship, the Riordon Scholarship, and the Collins Prestige Scholarship.
The worth of the Carleton Prestige Scholarships are as follows:
- Ten Chancellor’s Scholarships: $30,000 ($7,500 x four years)
- Seven Richard Lewar Entrance Scholarships: $21,500 ($6,500 in the first year and $5,000 in second, third, and fourth-year)
- Three Carleton University Scholarships of Excellence: $20,000 ($5,000 x four years)
- Two Carleton University Shad Valley Scholarships of Excellence: $20,000 ($5,000 x four years)
- One Riordon Scholarship: Full tuition in the first, second, third, and fourth year
- One Collins Prestige Scholarship: Full tuition in the first, second, third, and fourth year
- Applicants must have an admission average of 90% or higher.
- Candidates will have to be new incoming students who have no previous attendance at post-secondary institutions.
Winnipeg President’s Scholarships for World Leaders
The University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarship for World Leaders is offered to new incoming international students enrolling in any of the University’s divisions through undergraduate, graduate, collegiate, PACE, or ELP.
The worth of the scholarship includes English Language Program ($3,500), Professional & Applied Continuing Education ($3,500), Collegiate ($3,500), Undergraduate ($5,000), and Graduate ($5,000).
- Applicants must be international students who are new to the University of Winnipeg and have not taken credits or completed any degree at the university.
- Candidates should be enrolling in any of Winnipeg’s divisions: Undergraduate, Graduate, Collegiate, Professional, Applied & Continuing Education (PACE) or English Language Program (ELP).
- Applicants must have a minimum 80% admission average or its equivalent.
- Candidates whose native language is not English will be required to show proficiency in the English language.
Calgary International Entrance Scholarships
The University of Calgary offers scholarships to outstanding international students who are starting their undergraduate degree program at the university.
Recipients can renew the scholarship in the second, third, and fourth year at the University of Calgary, provided they maintain a GPA of 2.60 OR a minimum of 24.00 units in the previous fall and winter terms.
The value of the award is $15,000 per academic year.
York University International Student Scholarship
York University provides scholarships to international students enrolled in the university. These scholarships are awarded to students with excellent academic records to enable them to pursue undergraduate degree programs at the institution.
The undergraduate programs where the scholarships are applied include Environmental Studies, Fine Arts, Glendon, Health, Lassonde, Liberal Arts & Professional Studies, Science, or Schulich.
Winners of the scholarship will receive $35,000 per academic year and it will cover the cost of their undergraduate study, thereby making the total amount of the award to be $140,000.
- Best Post Graduate Scholarships in Canada for all Students
- How To Get Scholarships In Canada For Domestic And International Students
- How To Win PhD. Scholarships in Canada
- 15 Scholarships For Mature Students In Canada
- 9 Theology Scholarships in Canada for International Students