Below is everything you need to know about Universitè Laval in Canada, its scholarship programs, application and school fees, degree programs, admission requirements, application process, current rankings and more.
Universitè Laval, Canada (Laval University)
Universitè Laval is the oldest university in Canada. The university was established in 1663 as the first French Language institution in North America, known as Seminaire de Québec. It was not until 1852, that it officially became a university.
As the oldest university in Canada, Laval University offers degrees in almost all fields of study known in education, from the fields of Medicine, Engineering, Law, Theology, Psychology, Music, Administration, Management, down to the field of Arts and more.
The university offers a range of over 500 expert programs with a total of 17 different faculties for its undergraduate and graduate degrees. It also offers professional programs that lead to an award in Bachelor, Masters and doctoral degrees.
It habours a total of about 32,000 undergraduate students and a postgraduate student capacity of over 10,750, which comprises both local and international students.
The university has been a frontier pioneer in researches that has lead to many breakthrough discoveries in science, medicine, technology and engineering which has helped to solve numerous world problems.
The campuses comprised of highly brilliant and intellectual professors (1,500 in total) whose works, journals and publications are cited by numerous academic bodies and institutions around the globe.
Positioned as one of Canada’s most remarkable institutions of higher learning (7th in Canada), the university provides a learning experience that is driven by innovation to produce outstanding scholars that’ll go on to be impact makers in their different fields of expertise.
Based on the number of Canada Research Chairs, Laval University remains one of the top universities in Canada to hold four excellence chairs with direct revenue of $403,080 million for sponsored research. The university also thrive in growth in research from funding by various private sectors in Canada.
Operating with a vision to enhance creative endeavours and inspire minds by providing a sustained based knowledge for continuous growth and development from around the world, the university offers a distance learning program that cuts across over 400 courses of which 85% are fully accessible through the internet.
The university boasts of hi-tech facilities, exquisite halls and digital auditoriums for a first-class learning experience for its students.
The Laval University campus sits in an area of 1.2km with over 30 buildings and epic architectural classrooms. The campus houses three Research initiatives.
- Sentinel Research program which provides room to foster innovative solution to altering climate conditions that is fast changing the world.
- Institute Nordique Du Québec, a community of innovators and researchers that develops clean energy, viable infrastructures and healthcare ecosystem.
- Alliance Dante Québec pioneers world-class research and innovation partner to meet the health and social service needs of humanity leading to sustainable health.
Considered as a hallmark of innovation, the university maintains and operates a carbon-free environment, the first in the world to use clean and green energy to run its campuses so as to combat fossil fuel pollution.
Compared to no other institution in Canada, the university’s campuses are brightened with green space that is fondly considered as a perfect study and research environment.
Studying at Laval University will give you an enriching learning experience that will build you and stimulate your ingenuity, creativity and innovative ability. The thousands of alumnus that the school has provided in its over 350 years of existence has gone on to become exceptional world leaders and great impact makers in their diverse fields and specialization.
Universitè Laval Ranking
Universitè Laval has been a top research institute in North America for more than half a century and it has gained academic recognition internationally and nationally by various ranking bodies and organizations. The school has over 78 partnerships of research chairs and has built a strong reputation in diverse fields of study.
Degree and certificate programs at Laval University have a very strong record in recognition and ranks highest both in national and international considerations. Their Engineering, Medicine, Business, Social Sciences and Life Science programs have a five-point rating.
The school’s rankings come from its unwavering goal in striving to provide to the advancement of society by advancing and sharing knowledge in a high energy research and development environment which will help to train skilled and responsible scholars.
- The Academic Ranking Of World Universities (ARWU) ranks Laval at 201-300 in the world and 5th in Canada.
- The QS 2020 Ranking, ranked Laval at 316 in the world and 4th in Canada.
- U.S News and World Report ranks Laval as the best global university with a ranking of 315.
- Uni page University Ranking ranks Laval at 258 in the world.
- Round University Ranking, a leading ranking of world universities recently ranks Laval at 403 in the world and 18th in Canada.
Universitè Laval Acceptance Rate
With a total application of about 50,611 annually, from both domestic and international students, the acceptance rate at University Laval is very minimal. It is a highly competitive institution that requires incredible academic performance from prospective students.
Laval University has an acceptance rate average of %50 to 60% and this vary yearly depending on the nature of applications.
A minimum score of 64 in TOEFL is essential and applicants must meet all the necessary requirements before consideration for admission.
Universitè Laval Tuition Fees
Tuition fees at Laval University varies for undergraduate and graduate programs and it is based on the number of credits offered per semester in each of the program applied.
The tuition fee for domestic undergraduate students is $16,712 and $26,041 for international undergraduate students annually. You can see the full scheduled fee here.
For graduate programs, the tuition fee for domestic students is $16,712 and $26,041 for international students. You can see the full scheduled fee here.
Universitè Laval Faculties
University Laval has about 17 faculties that cut across various interdisciplinary fields which lead to an award in bachelor’s, Masters and Doctorate degrees.
There are over 1,500 professors, 2,205 research staff and about 6,000 professionals to provide exceptional teaching instructions and research guides in these faculties.
The various faculties at Laval University are listed below;
- School of Engineering & technology
- School Of Computer science
- Faculty Of Education
- Faculty Of Life sciences
- Faculty Of Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health
- Faculty Of Physical sciences
- Faculty Of Law
- Faculty Of Social science
- Faculty Of Arts & Humanities
- Faculty Of Psychology
- Faculty Of Business & Economics
Universitè Laval Admission Requirements
The admission requirements into university Laval, varies for each international and national students to graduate degrees.
We have previously disclosed all the necessary requirements for admission into any Canadian institution here. The following are the requirements for both undergraduate and graduate students
Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- Applicants must be proficient in the French language
- Applicants must have completed senior high school
- Applicants must have a minimum score of 64 in TOEFL
- Academic transcript
- Must have a valid student visa or students permit for international students.
Graduate Admission Requirements
- The applicant must have completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- Applicants must be proficient in the French Language
- Applicants must provide a valid Academic transcripts
- Doctorate degree students must have completed a masters degree from an accredited university
- Statement of purpose
- Letters of reference
- Proof of work experience if any
- A valid visa for international students.
Universitè Laval Application Fees
The application fee for a degree program at Laval University is a non-refundable fee of $82 for both national and international students.
How to Apply to Universitè Laval
After gathering all the necessary documents required by the university, the next big thing is to begin your admission process. Follow the steps given below to apply for admission into Laval University.
- Visit the school website and select your preferred graduate or undergraduate program here.
- Carefully review the admission requirements for your degree program
- Apply and submit the necessary credentials
- Wait for a confirmation email
Universitè Laval Scholarships
Laval University offers various financial assistance to successful applicants. The institution through its Scholarship and Financial Aid Office ( BBAF ) lists over 3,000 scholarships that are available for both undergraduate and graduate students for each year.
The total value for these scholarships is $25,000,000. Most of the scholarships provided are not based on good academic performance, some of them are awarded on the ground of extra-curricular prowess or on the ground of proven needs for students facing financial crisis.
The scholarships are open to both national and international students in all undergraduate and graduate programs. Some of the scholarships provided, however, are sponsored by the Canadian government, while some are sponsored by organizations, charity foundations and the Alumnus.
Universitè Laval Scholarship Requirements
- Applicant must have been admitted or considered for admission into Laval University
- Must possess basic scholarship consideration requirements
- Must show valid proof of need for a need-based scholarship
- Must possess a national or international ID card
International Students Scholarships
There are over 513 scholarships that are available for international undergraduate and graduate students at U.L. Some of these scholarships and their value are;
- Entrepreneur Excellence Grant
- AIST Foundation Scholarship
- AIST Smith Graduate Scholarship ( AIME )
- Education and Research Fund
Value: $12,500 – $25,000
- Graduate Studies Support Grant-Simone Pere Fund
- Bergeron-Malenfant Scholarship
- Catherine-Lebens Scholarship
- Micheline-Masse Scholarship
- Nicolaset-Suzzanne-Zay Excellence Scholarship
- Louis-Edmond Hamelin Excellence Scholarship
You can go here to check for further scholarships available for international students at the university.
Laval University Domestic Students Scholarships
There are over 888 scholarships available for Canadian students for both undergraduate and graduate programs. Some of these scholarships and their values are;
- Karl C.Ivarson Scholarship-Agriculture
- Alain Thibaut Scholarship in Actuarial Science
- Monique Rheaume Pay Equity Grant
- Canadian National Graduate Scholarship
- Catherine Lelonde Memorial Grant For Wood Research
- War Memorial Scholarship
- Bergeron-Malenfant Scholarship
- Jefo Foundation Scholarship
- Marcellina Simard Scholarship-Complementary Medicine
- Jean-Darbelnet Scholarship
You can go here to check for all the scholarship that is available for national students
Universitè Laval Notable Alumni
Laval University holds a high reputation for educating and training individuals who have gone on to make amazing impacts in their diverse fields and globally recognized as committed leaders in service to humanity.
There are over 312,000 alumni who have contributed massively to the growth and progress of the world and their findings, research, businesses have its roots from the interdisciplinary approach trigger from Laval.
Below are some notable Alumnus from the epic Universitè Laval
- Charles Fitzpatrick ( Fifth Chief Justice Of Canada )
- Nikolaus With ( Programmer )
- Manon Brouillette ( CEO Videotron )
- Gaston Miron ( Author )
- Jacques Edouard Alexis ( 9th prime minister of Canada )
- Louis Philippe Pigeon ( Supreme court justice )
- Jean Lesage ( premier of Québec )
- Brain Mulroney ( 18th prime minister of Canada )
- Edith Butler ( Famous Singer )
- Marcel Aubut ( President of Canadian Olympic Committee )
This article has been able to provide you with all the necessary information you need to know while applying for University Laval in Québec, Canada.
This detailed guide will help your application process to be very smooth and easy. As you have seen, Laval University has the potential to kick start your career and project you to the limelight as evident from the thousands of notable Alumni the institution has who have accelerated development in various fields of endeavour and become outstanding leaders in their industries.
The teaching style of the institution and cozy environment will certainly give you an exceptional learning experience.
- Alberta University Requirements
- Queens University Requirements
- University of Calgary Requirements
- University of Montreal Requirements
- York University Requirements