York University is one of the leading schools in Canada and below, we’ve gathered everything you need to know about this university; its application and tuition fees, scholarships, rankings programs and more.
In this free article, you will learn more about York University and every detail you need about the university as an aspiring applicant.
You will learn about the tuition fees, school fees and application fees of the of York University and also learn about the different scholarship programs in this university, their application or selection processes and how you can possibly apply or qualify for them.
York University, Canada
Established in 1959 and located in Canada’s most vibrant city, Toronto, Ontario. York University is a public research institution globally recognized as one of the largest universities in Canada imparting knowledge to over 55,000 students; international and domestic, undergraduates and postgraduate students included.
York University is known for championing new ways of thinking, that drive teaching and research excellence and is also committed to offering a wide demographic of students access to high quality, research-intensive learning environment committed to the public good.
The university currently has an approximate 49,700 number of undergraduates and 6,000 postgraduate students in eleven faculties and 28 research centres, gaining top skills and knowledge in various fields of study designed in developing students’ potential into successful careers so they too can contribute positively to Canada and the world as a whole.
York University has some of the world’s most talented professors and lecturers, some of which have been recognized for their contributions to the world in various sectors, these and the many cutting-edge facilities the school has is what helps to facilitate efficient student career molding.
Through her eleven faculties, York University offers a range of bachelor, masters and doctoral degree programs to international students, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada aspiring to study there. Some of these programs have gained both international and national recognitions and have come to rank among the top programs in the world.
York’s unique combination of learning opportunities across wide-ranging disciplines provides students with diverse and relevant viewpoints to open their minds and broaden their thinking, skills and interests, unlocking their potential for broad career opportunities, expected and otherwise.
York University Requirements | Fees, Scholarships, Programs, Rankings
York University Ranking
York University is one of the largest universities in Canada offering wide variety of programs. These programs like mathematics, nursing, business, management & accounting have become top in their league with other great universities in Canada. York University is also ranked as the number one best school in Canada for research programs.
In the national rankings, York University is number 16 in Canada and for world ranking the university is sitting around the number 401-500, this is a recent analysis from The Time Education (THE) ranking platform.
York University Acceptance Rate
The acceptance rate at York University is quite high at 80%, however, these statistics shouldn’t get you relaxed as it is a highly competitive school so before you apply for admission into the school be sure to pass the eligibility criteria and requirements set out by the university.
To make your admission application easier, all details concerning the eligibility criteria, requirements and application process of York University have been provided in this article.
York University Tuition Fee
The tuition fees at York University vary from program levels and courses of study to student status as domestic and international students.
Note: Domestic students are Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada, international students are those who come in to study with a student visa from other countries. You can find out more about international students here.
Undergraduate Tuition fees at York University
The tuition fee for undergraduate students at York University varies from international and domestic student to field of study, but I will provide a range of tuition fees for undergraduate students and it is what you are expected to pay.
For domestic undergraduate students at York University the tuition fee ranges from CAD$6,980.70 – CAD$10,550.40, this fee does not include any other fees.
For international student at York University, the tuition fee ranges from CAD$29,495.70 – CAD$35,419 excluding other fees.
To know the particular amount of fee for each program, see HERE.
Graduate Tuition fees at York University
The estimated tuition fee for the domestic student at York University is CAD$5,571 while for an international student it is CAD$19,611. See a breakdown of the fees and other fees HERE.
York University Faculties/Schools/Colleges
York University has eleven faculties that span across various fields of study, introducing students to a broad perspective of education that result in original thought and theory.
Through these faculties, students get to pick from and partake in flexible cross-discipline which offers them the skill to fulfill their academic and professional goals.
- School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Environmental Studies
- Glendon College
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Faculty of Health
- Lassonde School of Engineering
- Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies
- Osgoode Hall Law School
- Schulich School of Business
- Faculty of Science
York University Scholarships
York University has a variety of scholarships, financial aid and bursaries that international and domestic students can apply for, and they come with different requirements while some of these scholarships need to be applied for others do not need to, such as the entrance scholarships.
Entrance scholarships are awarded to students, international and domestic, based on their academic performance specifically to students with high academic performance, leadership potential and have been involved in extra-curricular activities.
To be eligible for any of the scholarship, the student must have been enrolled into York University, maybe at their first or second year or as required by the scholarship committee but it is mostly awarded to students at their first or second year of study.
York University Entrance Scholarships
The entrance scholarships are awarded to students who are entering York University for the first time, they are qualified for the scholarship based on their academic prowess. Many high school applicants are admitted and offered entrance scholarships based on mid-year or in-progress results when their admission average is at or above 80%.
All entrance scholarship amounts and eligibility are confirmed based on final grades and are renewable for three years based on grade point average and course load requirements. To renew York University automatic entrance scholarships, recipients must maintain a minimum 8.0 GPA over a minimum of 24 credits taken during the entire academic year.
Note that the entrance scholarships are only for Canadian students who want to enter an undergraduate program at the university. The following are the entrance scholarships at York University;
- President’s Scholarships ($5,400 x 4 years)
- Chancellor Cory Entrance Scholarship ($4,000 x 4 years)
- Governors’ Award of Distinction ($8,000 x 4 years, plus the cost of accommodation for the first year, approximately $4,000)
- Avie Bennett Award ($7,500 x 4 years)
- Awards of Achievement ($6,000 x 4 years)
- Harry Arthurs Alumni Families Entrance Scholarship ($6,000 x 4 years)
- Honderich Bursary ($8,000 x 4 years)
- Schulich Leader Scholarships worth $100,000 till the end of student’s undergraduate study
- Chancellor Bennett Entrance Awards for the Westview Partnership ($7,000 x 4 years)
- Avie Bennett Visionary Leadership Scholarship ($9,000 x 4 years)
- York University Renewable Entrance Athletic Scholarship ($4,500 x 5 years)
There are other additional entrance scholarships and awards by faculty and/or program, you can see all these awards and their deadlines HERE.
International prospective undergraduate students too are eligible for some automatic entrance scholarships at York University and other scholarships that require applicants to submit an International Student Scholarship & Award Application and also pass the following eligibility criteria;
- Must be an international student with a valid Canadian study permit.
- Must have applied to an undergraduate degree program at York University
- Applicants must apply directly from high school with no more than two years after graduation and had no previous university or college studies
- Must have an outstanding academic record with a minimum “A” average or its equivalent
- Applicant must show strong leadership potential through community service or must be involved in an extracurricular activity such as the arts, sports, or other areas of individual achievement
- Applicant must upload one letter of recommendation which they can get from their past teachers.
- Some scholarship requires that the student be nominated by their high school, the nominated student will be considered for the following scholarships;
International Entrance Scholarship of Distinction
B. The Global Leader of Tomorrow Award
C. The International Circle of Scholars Scholarship
D. York University Academic Excellence Scholarships.
- Must ensure all required documents are shown as “Received” in the York application (MyFile), complete and submit the online international student application by the deadline
The following are automatic entrance scholarships and they do not require an application;
- York University Talent Entrance Scholarships, for applicants to programs in the School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design it is worth $1,000
- Global Health Scholarships, for applicants to programs in the Faculty of Health it is valued at $5,000
- Lassonde Entrance Scholarships for applicants to Lassonde School of Engineering, valued at $2,000
- Columbia International Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies Entrance Scholarship, for applicants entering the faculty it is worth $1,000
- Liberal Arts & Professional Studies International Student Entrance Scholarship valued at $2,000
- Faculty of Science Entrance Scholarships for students entering the faculty and it is valued at $2,000
The following scholarships require an international scholarship and award application and you will be considered for all of the scholarships when you submit the application;
- York Science Scholars Award, only faculty of science applicants valued at $10,000
- Glendon International Scholarship for Glendon applicants valued at $5,000 – $10,000
- The Annie Demirjian’77 Scholarship also for Glendon applicants worth $5,000 – $10,000
- International Entrance Scholarship of Distinction worth a total of $140,000 ($35,000 x 4 years)
- Global Leader of Tomorrow Award for International Students worth a total of $80,000 ($20,000 x 4 years)
- International Circle of Scholar’s Scholarship valued at $15,000
- York University Academic Excellence Scholarships for International Students worth around $5,000 – $10,000.
For the scholarships that require an application, I have given the requirements for the above but their deadline varies and you can find them HERE as well as other external funding opportunities that applicants may find helpful.
There are also scholarships for Aboriginal applicants and Canadian college & university transfer or mature students, they are
- York University Mature Student Entrance Scholarship, it requires no application and it is worth $3,000. See application deadline here
- Provost’s Award this is also so mature students and requires no application, valued around $500 – $1,000. See application deadline here
- Award for Aboriginal Students worth a total of $28,000 ($7,000 x 4 years) See application deadline
- York Entrance Bursary for Aboriginal Students worth a total of $8,800 ($2,200 x 4 years). See application deadline
These are the available scholarships for undergraduate students, international and domestic.
Are there scholarships for graduate students at York University?
Graduate students are not left out of the scholarships and funding opportunities, York University offers a range of internal scholarships award amounting up to $10 million annually and students too can go for other external funding opportunities which are provided by the Canadian government, charity foundations and other organizations and individuals.
The graduate scholarships are available to international and domestic students on doctoral or masters levels of study. Some of the internal scholarships and awards are;
- The Elia Scholars Program, which goes to an incoming domestic or international doctoral student and it is worth a minimum of $30,000, so it could be higher.
- Graduate Fellowships for Academic Distinction awarded to incoming masters or doctoral students with high potential for international affairs. The scholarship is valued at a minimum of $30,000 for PhD students and $20,000 for masters’.
- The Susan Mann Dissertation Scholarship, awarded to doctoral students in their fifth year of study who have shown outstanding academic performance and it is worth $22,500.
- Over 300 Faculty of Graduate Studies and individual graduate program awards, some are above $10,000.
York University also encourages and supports students in their application for prestigious external provincial and national awards, some of these external awards are;
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation Scholarship
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
The York University internal scholarships and awards together with the external funding scholarships greatly measure the academic excellence of a student and they allow students the time to focus on their research and make progress in their studies. See all financial aids, scholarships, bursaries and awards here.
York University Admission Requirements
Here, you will find details on the admission requirements at York University, it includes documents and certain eligibility criteria that applicants need to possess and pass to be accepted for admissions into York University.
Admission requirements at York University vary from international and domestic students to the program of study. This means that the admission requirements for international and domestic students are different and also for undergraduate, masters and doctoral students in their specific field of study.
The requirements I have gathered are the general ones, your department/faculty may require more this is up to you to find out about the other program-specific requirements.
What are the admission requirements for undergraduate students at York University?
The following requirements apply to all applicants applying to an undergraduate degree or certificate studies at York University.
- Applicant must have graduated high school
- Applicants must take the language proficiency requirements and pass the average test score, score differs by program.
- Submit official transcripts and other supplementary application which varies by the program of study.
- International students should have a valid Canadian study permit.
See a breakdown of the program and country requirements here.
What are the admission requirements for graduate students at York University?
- Prospective graduate students must have completed and earned a bachelor degree program from an accredited university or college
- Applicants must take the language proficiency requirements and pass the average test score, score differs by program.
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate study and other supplementary application, varies by the program of study
- International students must have a valid Canadian study permit.
- Prospective graduate students at York University should have the following documents;
A. Recommendation letters
B. Statement of interest
C. Written work
E. Test scores
There are other requirements that differ by programs to see the breakdown and deadlines, click here.
York University Application Fee
The application fee for an undergraduate student at York University is a non-refundable fee of CDN$130, application fee for a graduate student at York University is also a non-refundable fee of CDN$130.
How to Apply for Admission to York University
- Meet the minimum admission requirements
- Review all admission and application requirements for your chosen program of study before beginning the process.
- Meet program-specific requirements
- Know the application deadlines
- Submit your application along with all required documents
- Application deadlines and requirements vary, click here to see for undergraduate applicants and here to learn about graduate.
Some Great York University Notable Alumni
York University has produced great alumni over the years who have contributed to Canada and the world as a whole and have created prestigious establishments, the alumni are actors/actresses, physicians, philosophers, astronauts, economists, politicians, archaeologists, etc.
- Rachel McAdams
- Steve Maclean
- Laura Vandervoort
- John Tory
- Rollo Armstrong
- Kerry Andrew
- Tanya Byron
- Michael Brown
- Helen Bell
- Ian Bailey
- James Callis
- Jane Ferguson
- Jay Foreman
- Christopher Fox
- Peter Gordon
- Michael Greenspan
- William Owen “Will” Gregory
- Phil Mac Giolla Bhain
- Grace McCleen
- Roy Moore
- Meg Munn
- Ellie Taylor
- Nelson Teich
- Michael Wall
- Yeung Sum
- Greg Mulholland
- Farah Mendlesohn
- Paul Goodman
This brings an end to the article on York University Requirements, Fees, Scholarships, Programs, Ranking and other necessary details that will help to facilitate an easy and successful admission application into the university.
York University is committed to excellence bringing together a rich diversity of perspectives with a strong sense of social responsibility that is making a difference to the world around us. The institution is a welcoming and inclusive community and a leader in providing over 200 collaboration opportunities and tools that set students up for success from day one.