Did you know that most universities in Qatar for international students are built by top international Universities from prestigious countries in the world? I’m talking about countries like the United States and the United Kingdom.
In fact, Qatar University is the only government university in the country. And, there are a handful of benefits that comes with studying abroad, including meeting new people outside your race, and culture, and mastering a new environment.
Qatar is a place that welcomes a lot of cultures, ethnicity, and background, and most of their classes are in English (you shouldn’t be worried if it’s an all-Arabic-speaking country). Also, studying in Qatar comes with a lot of experiences, you would be exposed to beautiful and majestic landscapes, amazing architecture, and an adventurous desert environment.
It is a country where several top universities are, and they have a city known as “Education City” where you’ll find most of these universities in Qatar for international students. It is a beautiful country to start your university career same as New Zealand, another country that warmly welcomes international students.
In addition, other countries welcome international students and also give room for them to partake in their international scholarships, countries like, Canada and the United States open a wide door for international. As well they offer lots of scholarships to these international students.
Before we dive straight into the best universities in Qatar for international students, let’s learn some requirements you will need before you’re admitted to these colleges.
Requirements to study in Qatar as an international student
The requirements to study in Qatar as an international student are not so different from the requirements other top countries will demand. Here are the requirements for bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D. degrees to study in Qatar.
- Completion of 12 years of formal education with a certified result.
- Minimum CGPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale or “C” equivalent.
- Passed at least 6 different subjects, including at least one science (physics, chemistry, or biology)
- For a science degree, one must pass at least 2 science subjects, and 1 mathematics with at least a 2.00 GPA or a “C” equivalent.
- SAT Reasoning Test or ACT is required.
- TOEFL or IELTS might be needed.
- Submission of Personal Statement
- At least 2 letters of reference, written in English.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher received with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.8 (this can change depending on the university)
- You’ll need to satisfy additional program admission requirements. That is, the program you intend to offer and the college will determine other requirements.
- A Master’s degree or higher received with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0. (it can also change depending on the university).
- Standardized test scores (e.g. GRE, GMAT) will be required for all Ph.D. programs offered in English.
- Additional requirements from the specific college/program.
You should note that these are the minimum requirement for universities in Qatar for international students we demand.
Now let’s learn how much it can cost you to study in Qatar as an international student.
Cost of studying in Qatar for international students
The truth is, there is no difference between what an international student would pay compared to what the resident student would pay. The tuition and fees are almost the same, and they are the same in most international universities in Qatar.
The average tuition fee universities in Qatar for international students charge is $20,000 or QAR 72,820. Some universities also focus on credit hours, and the average tuition for 1 credit hour is $2,700 or QAR 9,830.70 and you are required to complete 12 credit hours per semester.
Scholarships in Qatar for international students
Seeing the cost of tuition fees to study in Qatar, it might not be affordable for some aspiring international students, especially students from low-income earning countries. So all the universities in Qatar for international students we’ve listed provide scholarships.
Further, if you’re not eligible for their merit-based scholarships, some of these universities also offer need-based grants. The good part is, that we added links to easily check out these scholarships except HBKU and CUC Ulster University Qatar.
Universities in Qatar for International Students
1. Qatar University
Qatar University is not just one of the best universities in Qatar for international students it is also one of the best in East Asia, and it is pushing hard to become one of the best in the world. Their progress has moved from 490 positions in 2016 to 224 positions in 2022 in the (QS) World University Ranking.
QU is the largest and oldest university in Qatar, their public institution is well-known and well-respected for its ability to offer first-class opportunities to its international students. With their approximately 8,000 international students in nearly 85 different countries, you are in for a university packed with different cultures, and ethnicity, and you are sure to see people from your country.
QU is one of the universities in Qatar for international students that has made sure its programs and courses meet international accreditation. Also, QU is not far away from Doha, Qatar’s Capital City, it’s just 26 km away from it.
Most importantly, QU supports a lot of scholarships, where approximately 400 recipients are awarded a scholarship each academic year.
Their tuition fee varies based on the course of study you’re pursuing, click here to learn more about their tuition fee.
- Offers scholarships
- The biggest and oldest university in Qatar
- Approximately 8,000 international students on the campus
- Nearly 85 different countries
- Scholarships awarded to approximately 400 recipients
- More than 28,000 Alumni
- Accredited by leading international bodies
- 26 km away from Doha
- 11 colleges
- 94 programs
2. Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar
Weill Cornell Medicine in Qatar is the first American Medical School that was built outside the United States and it’s one of the best universities in Qatar for international students. It is leading in medical education, biomedical research, and population research in the Middle East.
It was founded in Qatar in 2001 through a partnership between Cornell University and the Qatar Foundation, and in November 2014 Weill Cornell made a great move. They integrated their academic programs into one big 6-year medical program.
So, the school now sorely focuses on medical students which makes it more goal-oriented. Currently, when you are admitted to the university, you don’t have to go through a second admission again, just like it was before 2014.
This makes their students maintain focus on their studies. Also, if you completed pre-medical training at another college, you’re welcome to apply for WCM-Q 4-Year medical program.
WCM-Q is one of the few universities in Qatar for international students that have developed amazing students that have gone ahead to do their residency program in prestigious universities like Massachusetts General Hospital. New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, and Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Their Tuition fees are the same as Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City, and it’s around $64,500, and their application fee is $75.
- Offers Scholarships
- first American Medical School that was built outside the United States
- Medicine-only university
3. Georgetown University in Qatar
This is one of the universities in Qatar for international students where diverse cultures and beliefs are warmly welcomed. The university has recorded 633 Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service (BSFS) graduates in 52 countries, and they have gone ahead to become outstanding employees in politics, finance, art, education, international consultancy, etc.
GU-Q has gone ahead to train its students to be able to engage and develop great solutions to some of the world’s challenging problems. Also, they have nurtured a passionate learning community of students, which helps both residential students and international students to interact without any bias.
GU-Q is one of the best universities in Qatar for international students that embark on cultural trips, where the students go to places they are learning their culture and see things for themselves. Outside classrooms, you can also indulge in several activities like social clubs, sports or even make foreign friends, and you can travel around other schools in a competition.
The tuition fee to study in GU-Q is $59,784. And it increases by 6% each year, click here for more info on their tuition fee.
- Offers scholarship and grant
- Embarks on cultural trips to other countries
- 633 (BSFS) graduates in 52 countries
4. Texas A&M University at Qatar
The workforce is always evolving, and Texas A&M is one of the universities in Qatar for international students that are training their students to adapt to this change. You’re trained in the university to withstand any work environment, in any circumstance.
That’s why most of their students have graduated to become great leaders in different companies, some of them have gone ahead to start their own companies. The University preaches and practices building strong relationships with fellow students, you’ll interact and work with different students from different backgrounds.
Tuition fees differ, click here to learn more
- Offers scholarships and financial aids
- Their Students, faculty, and staff, are popularly called Aggie.
5. HAMAD BIN KHALIFA UNIVERSITY (HBKU)
HBKU is one of the homegrown research and graduates studies universities, that is helping to positively transform Qatar and also have a global impact. This is one of the few universities in Qatar for international students that does a lot of discoveries in so many fields.
There is a common belief, (to make a positive impact through higher learning in the development of nations) shared amongst their students, faculty, staff, partners, and leaders. There are international students from over 60 different countries.
Also, Computer Engineering is the only bachelor’s degree program offered at HBKU.
Their tuition fee differs by their colleges and the program you’re offering. Click here to learn more about HBKU’s tuition fee.
- Established in 2010
- 60+ Nationalities
- 75+ Faculties
- 66% of international students
6. Carnegie Mellon University Qatar
CMU-Q is one of the universities in Qatar for international students where their students are outstanding in so many areas, including recently winning the national Arabic debate championship. CMU-Q was established in Qatar in 2004 with the help of the Qatar Foundation.
During its inception, only 41 students were around, but now, they have different students in over 35 different countries. Most importantly, they are ranked the 28th and 48th best university in the world by University Rankings and QS World University Rankings respectively.
CMU-Q is structured in a manner that their students can live a note-worthy life beyond the classroom, they are encouraged to travel around to learn, and improve their leadership skill, which is needed for their career.
Further, CMU-Q is one of the universities in Qatar for international students that help their students to build their communication skills, and organization savvy, which will help them to put what they know to work. You can even choose to organize an already-existing student club, or even lead a fresh one.
The tuition at the CMU-Q is the same as the Pittsburgh Campus in the United States. Their annual tuition fee is $57,560 (QAR 210,094) and other fees are meant to be paid along with the tuition fee, like activity fees, technology fees, books, and health insurance.
In addition, there is financial aid like merit-based Scholarships and need-based grants that you can apply for, and it’s available for anyone from any country.
- Offers Scholarships & Grants
- Diverse students in more than 35 countries
- 28th best University in the world by University Rankings
- 48th Best University in the world by QS World University Rankings
- Offers scholarships for both resident and international students.
- Offers need-based grants.
7. Doha Institute for Graduate Studies (Master’s Degree)
DI is one of the universities in Qatar for international students that offers a huge variety of scholarships annually for both in-state and International Students. These Scholarships can be awarded based on merit and academic competition, or based on financial need.
Further, within 7 years, DI students have grown from 1,300 students to over 10,000 students, and their program grew from 10 programs in 2015 to 18 programs in 2022. And, they are getting ready to launch their first Ph.D. program, which has already been approved by the ministry of education and higher education in Qatar.
DI was established in 2015 due to the urgent need for the improvement of social sciences and humanities in the Arab World. Note that, DI currently offers only a Master’s Degree.
A doctoral tuition fee of QR7,000 ($1,922.55)
- Offers Scholarships and Financial Aids
- Ready to launch their first Ph.D. program
8. Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Qatar
The core vision for VCUarts Qatar is to improve the human, social, economic, and environmental development in Qatar and the region through creative innovation. And they do this by helping their students to create outstanding artworks.
VCUarts Qatar is one of the few universities in Qatar for international students that offer art-only programs like; art history, fashion design, graphic design, interior design, painting and printmaking, art foundation, etc. Further, VCUarts Qatar students can choose to study on the VCU Richmond campus during the fall or spring semester.
$29,409 or QAR107048.76 per academic year; OR $14,704.50 or QAR53524.38 per semester. Other fees are necessary to be paid, click here to learn more.
$25,956 or QAR 94479.84 per academic year; OR $12,978 or QAR 47239.92 per semester. Also, you can enroll in a part-time program, where the tuition fee is lower.
- Offers Scholarships
- 302 students from 34 countries
- 919 Alumni from 50 countries
- Merit scholarships
- Financial aid
- Campus employment
9. Northwestern University in Qatar
Northwestern University is one of the universities in Qatar for international students that promotes diverse cultures, and ethnicity, as well as helps you to pursue your dream. It is a school where students can take a variety of courses in many disciplines in the humanities and social sciences.
Also, NU-Q is one of the few universities in Qatar for international students that don’t consider your family’s financial situation when reviewing your undergraduate application. And, there is a Scholarship to help international students with their funds.
110 students from 32 different countries make up Northwestern Qatar’s largest graduating class to date.
NU-Q charges the same tuition as the home university campus in the United States, their tuition is $61,498 or QAR 223,854. Or $30,749 per semester.
- Offers Scholarships
- Ranked 9th overall amongst US institutions by US News and World Report.
- Offers Need blind admission
- Offers Scholarship
- Students from 32 countries
10. CUC Ulster University Qatar
This is one of the few universities in Qatar for international students that offers online classes, including online pre-sessional English Language Programmes.
They also offer IFP (International Foundation Diploma), where they nurture students that didn’t meet their entry requirement for undergraduate study. It is a two-semester program that will award you a diploma degree after the program.
- Undergraduate Degrees (BSc Hons/BEng Hons.): QAR 75,000 Annually
- Ulster University International Foundation Programme: QAR 75,000 full program
- Ulster University Postgraduate Degrees (MSc) 2-Year P/T: 90,000 full program
- Ulster University MBA (Women in Leadership) 2-Year P/T: QAR 120,000 full program
- Pre-Sessional English Programme (5 modules): QAR10,000 full program
Tuition has to be paid in full before you start your program or in more than 2 installments per year.
- Accredited by British Council & BTEC
- Partnering with BEIN Media Group
- Offers two ways to obtain a bachelor’s degree; BTEC Higher National Diploma, or BSc (Hons) Degree.
- Master’s Degree Scholarship for students that did their undergraduate degree at Ulster University.
- Flexible study to suit every student’s needs
- You can choose to study part of your degree in the United Kingdom
- Soon-to-open brand new campus in Lusail.
Universities in Qatar for International Students – FAQs
Is university in Qatar expensive?
Yes, the average tuition fee for Universities in Qatar is $20,000 per semester (QAR 72,820).
Can I get a scholarship in Qatar?
Yes, almost all the best universities in Qatar for international students offer scholarships to their students.
Is Qatar a good place to study?
Qatar is one of the best places to study, especially because countries like the United States and the United Kingdom have built and are still building their international colleges in the country. And, their universities have produced amazing students that have gone ahead to become great leaders in different sectors of life.
- Universities in Hungary for International Students
- Top English Universities in Spain
- Universities in Italy that Teach in English
- Universities in Singapore for International Students
- universities for international relations
- Universities in Cyprus for International Students
Daniel is a content creator with over 2 years of experience researching and creating content to help students who want to study abroad and those looking to take an online course for personal improvement, skill acquisition or a degree. Dan joined SAN in 2021 as a research-based content creator.
He loves meeting new people and developing new relationships.