Aspiring to pursue a degree at the University of Victoria? This article provides every necessary information that will push you towards your goal of being a full-time student at the university.
The University of Victoria is one of Canada’s top universities offering various degree programs to domestic and, of course, international students and if you are aspiring to pursue any of your preferred degree at the university it is important that you learn about the admission requirements, program fees, the various programs it offers and scholarships that you can apply for. Keep reading this post to learn about all of these.
The University of Victoria, Canada
The University of Victoria, which is also commonly referred to as UVic, is a public research university established on July 1, 1963, and located in the Greater Victoria municipalities of Oak Bay and Saanich, British Columbia, Canada.
The university runs nine fully well-established academic faculties and schools that have a long-range of undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs that award the bachelor, masters and doctorate degree certificates.
The University of Victoria is home to over 19,000 undergraduate students offering undergraduate degrees, certificates and diplomas for students out of high school or transferring from other post-secondary institutions.
Graduate students aren’t left out as well, the institution houses more than 3,500 students from Canada and other parts of the world, studying in over 160 graduate programs with a reputation for quality and innovation that is respected around the world.
For over 50 years, the University of Victoria has been providing excellent education through her interdisciplinary programs, and top lecturers and professors giving students the skills and experience they need to succeed outside the school walls and in the workforce.
Dynamic learning, research with a vital impact and an extraordinary academic environment are the three elements that drive UVic, with these elements it is able to nurture an environment of discovery, innovation and creativity and shaping the world view with diverse perspectives.
The University of Victoria Rankings
The University of Victoria has received a number of acknowledgments from various world university ranking platforms and has, in fact, been ranked as the second-best comprehensive university in Canada for three successive years.
In a recent analysis, the Academic Ranking of World University Rankings ranked the University of Victoria among 301-400 in the world and 13-18 in Canada, the QS World University Rankings set the university in the number 307 in the global category and 14th in the nationals.
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings placed the university in the range of 401-500 in the world and 16-18 in Canada and the US News & World Report Best Global University Ranking placed the university on the number 262 internationally and tenth nationally.
Maclean, the Canadian-based magazine ranked the University of Victoria 2nd in the latest survey of Canadian comprehensive university category. Research Info$ource ranked the university as 19th best research university, also other external international and national ranking platforms have ranked the university in other aspects and it did meet up with a number of other top international and national universities.
The University of Victoria Faculties/Schools
The university has over nine faculties & schools that offers more than 280 undergraduate and graduate degree programs, these faculties and schools are;
- Peter B. Gustavson School of Business
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Fine Arts
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Faculty of Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Human and Social Development
The University of Victoria Acceptance Rate
The acceptance rate at the University of Victoria is 64%, this is slightly competitive so be sure you possess all the necessary academic requirements before applying.
The University of Victoria Tuition Fees
The tuition fee for undergraduate students at the University of Victoria is CND$5,761 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada while international students pay CND$18,816.
The tuition fee at the University of Victoria varies from international and domestic students to the program of study and it is important that you learn more about the breakdown of fees, click here to see the tuition fee breakdown for undergraduate students.
The tuition fee for graduate students at the University of Victoria is $2,011.44 per term (per 4 months) for domestic students and $2,580.52 per term (per 4 months) for international students. Although the tuition fees vary from international and domestic student to program of study, see a breakdown of the fees here.
The University of Victoria Scholarships
The University of Victoria has a broad range of various funding opportunities such as scholarships, bursaries, financial aid and prizes designed to encourage students in their academics. These funding opportunities are made available to all domestic and international students in different programs of study, although requirements may differ.
These funding opportunities require that applicants pass the eligibility criteria set out by the scholarships body to be awarded and because the scholarships are different they also have different requirements and this is where you as an applicant need to put in a bit of an effort by checking out the eligibility criteria of any scholarships you want to apply for.
However, these funding opportunities all have a general eligibility criterion and they are;
- Before applying for any scholarships, award or bursaries applicants must first go through the requirements/eligibility criteria
- The student must be enrolled or about to enroll in a program at the University of Victoria
- Students must have an excellent academic record, leadership ability and be involved in extracurricular affairs at school or communities
- For any funding opportunity that requires application, begin your applications early
Other tips are; always apply for more than one scholarship and reach out to other external funding opportunities. There are also faculty and departmental funding opportunities as well, reach out to them and apply if need be.
The University of Victoria funding opportunities come from various sources such as alumni, the Canadian government, charity foundations, the university board and other channels. These funding opportunities are usually worth millions of dollars annually, although some scholarships and bursaries are a one-time thing others are there for a lifetime.
With the proper guidelines and being eligible as well, you can get one or more of these funding opportunities and get an excellent education in one of the top leading schools in the world without having to worry about payment and you may be lucky and get your hands on a fully-funded scholarship.
One of the prominent funding opportunities at the University of Victoria is the Entrance Scholarships and Awards, it is for undergraduate students who are new to the university. Once you are entering an undergraduate degree program into UVic, you are automatically considered for this scholarship.
The entrance scholarships and awards are awarded annually to new undergraduate students and range from a $2,000 one-time award to a renewable four-year award adding up to $26,000. Each year, the University of Victoria awards over 3.5 million dollars in entrance scholarships which are non-repayable and are awarded mainly on the basis of a students’ outstanding academic performance.
Entrance scholarships are both for international students, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada, the scholarships in this category are endless also includes other in-course awards, and while some need to be applied for others does not. Some of these scholarships are;
- Aboriginal Scholarship in Economics
- Howlers Rugby Award
- Smonec Natural Sciences Scholarship
- International Entrance Scholarships
- Aga Ghan Academy Renewable Scholarship
- President’s Beyond Borders Funds
- International IB Scholarships
- Gladys Pearson Indigenous Student Scholarship
- The Joyce Family Award for Indigenous Students
- Sylvia Brown Law Entrance Scholarship
- Keith B. Jobson Award
- General Undergraduate Scholarship
- UVic Transfer Scholarship
- Island West Scholarship
- UVic Undergraduate Scholarship
- Vikes Entrance Scholarship
- President’s Entrance Scholarship
- Ethel Dorthy Entrance Scholarship
- Wilson S.C Lai Scholarship
- CIBC Scholarship in the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business
- Award for Student Refugees and lots more.
To see all the scholarships and the breakdown of their requirements, click here.
There are bursaries that students can apply for, bursaries are non-repayable monetary awarded to students who demonstrate financial need and also have excellent academic performance. Bursaries are available for application to international and domestic students, undergraduate and graduate students.
The University of Victoria has entrance, transfer and in-course bursaries which amount to more than 4 million dollars and they are awarded annually. Some of these bursaries are;
- Le, Nonet Undergraduate Bursaries
- Le, Nonet Graduate Bursaries
- Ethel Clark Entrance Bursaries
- Rosy and Steven Chan Memorial Bursaries
- Bevan Bursary
- Bill and Lilian Herod Bursary
- Campus Dental Centre Bursary
- Curry Bursary
- Graduate Student’s Society Bursary
- James Bursary
- Jubilee Year Graduating Student Bursary
- Pat Bevan Women Bursary
- Phoenix Bursary
- Weber Memorial Bursary
- Women in Development Graduate Bursary
- Steve Peterson Memorial Bursary in Medicine
- Lisa Fedrigo Bursary
- Olive Wilson Heritage Bursary and lots more.
For application deadline and eligibility criteria of these bursary awards, click here.
Aside from Bursaries, the University of Victoria graduate students are also eligible for a number of scholarships, awards and fellowships awarded annually to international and domestic graduate students for high academic standing and research ability.
University of Victoria Graduate Internal Scholarships
The University of Victoria has internal scholarships for graduate students and there are also external funding opportunities that graduate students are encouraged to apply for. The UVic’s internal scholarships and awards are;
- University of Victoria Graduate Awards and Fellowships: while the fellowships are up to $17,500 per year for master’s and $20,000 per year for the doctorate, graduate awards are up to $10,000 per year to both masters and doctorate students.
- Dean’s Award for Indigenous Graduate Students: this award is specifically developed for indigenous students and valued at $6,000 or $15,000.
- President’s Research Scholarships: this award is only to graduate students holding awards for masters’ or doctoral level study from Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), and Canadian Institute for Health Research (CIHR).
- University of Victoria Graduate Donors Awards – No Application Required
- University of Victoria Graduate Donors Awards – Application Required
See the breakdown requirements and deadlines of these scholarships HERE.
University of Victoria Graduate External Scholarships
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation Scholarship
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Mackenzie King Memorial Scholarship
- IODE War Scholarship
- Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement
- Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS) – Graduate Fellowships
See a breakdown of these scholarships deadline and requirements HERE.
University of Victoria Admission Requirements
Here, you will find details on the admission requirements for the University of Victoria including documents and certain eligibility criteria that applicants need to possess/pass to be accepted for admissions into this institution of higher learning.
Note that the admission requirements for the University of Victoria vary from international and domestic student to program of study, however below are the general requirements;
- International students must have a valid Canadian study permit
- Candidates for undergraduate degree programs must have completed high school or in their final years before applying into a program
- Candidates aspiring for graduate studies must have completed a 4-year bachelor degree program in an accredited higher institution of learning
- Aspiring for the doctorate program? You must have completed a master’s degree program from a recognized institution
- All candidates must take the English language proficiency test and pass the required score, it varies by program
- Graduates must take the GMA/GRE/MCAT as required by their program and pass the score, varies by the program of study.
- All candidates must submit academic transcripts
- There are specific program requirements that make sure to check them out before applying.
- Graduate students should have the following documents
A. Recommendation letters
B. Statement of interest
C. Written work
E. Test scores
University of Victoria Application Fee
The application fee at the University of Victoria is $50 for every applicant.
How to Apply for Admission to the University of Victoria
Once you have all the proper documents as required by the university and your chosen program, you can proceed to apply for admission and the following are ways you can apply for admission into UVic;
- Choose a program
- Submit your application
- Submit your interim grades
- Accept offer
Some Great Notable Alumni of the University of Victoria
The University of Victoria has produced notable alumni across the globe some of which are established physicists, medical practitioners, astronauts, actors, actresses, politicians, etc. and are excelling in their various fields.
- Nathan Medd
- Carli & Julie Kennedy
- Althea Thauberger
- Glynis Leyshon
- Mercedes Batiz-Benet
- Michael J. Whitfield
- Esi Edugyan
- Carla Funk
- Valerie Murray
- Andrea Walsh
- Paul Beauchesne
- Deborah Willis
- Lucy Bell
- Jeffrey Hopkins
- Tamara Napoleon
- Andree Lacasse
- Ian Courtice
- Ry Moran
- Mike Corrigan
- Julie Angus
- Marinos Stylianou
- Daryll Harrison and others.
This brings an end to this article, I have provided necessary links were needed for easy access for readers to learn more, you have also gained a substantial amount of knowledge through the information shared here and with it, your application into the University of Victoria will go as smooth as possible.
- 4 Free Online Graduate Courses Currently Open
- 8 Free Online Degree Courses with Certificates for International Students
- 9 Best Online Learning Platforms With Free Application
- 10 Places To Get Free Online Associate Degrees
- 13 Free Online Computer Courses With Certificate