Do you know students from developing countries can acquire medical degrees from the best medical schools in Germany? Some for free and some others, at an affordable rate. Isnt that interesting?
In this article, I’ll show you some of the best medical schools in Germany for students from developing countries. Do take your time to read through.
Meanwhile see the table of content for an overview of what to expect in this article.
What is a medical school?
A medical school is a tertiary educational institution, or part of one, that teaches medicine and grants professional degrees to physicians and surgeons.
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS, MBChB, MBBCh, BMBS), Master of Medicine (MM, MMed), Doctor of Medicine (M.D), Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (D.P.M), or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine are examples of medical degrees (D.O). Many medical schools also offer additional degrees such as a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), a master’s degree (M.Sc), and other post-secondary studies.
Medical schools are also capable of doing medical research and running teaching hospitals. Medical degrees are conferred to medical students upon completion of their degree program, which normally lasts five or more years for undergraduate students and four years for graduate students.
Who can apply to medical schools in Germany?
Anyone who has completed the required high school education can ably apply to medical schools in Germany. If you are an international student, you can equally apply but you’d need to satisfy a more rigorous set of requirements before you can qualify to be considered.
Requirements to apply to medical schools in Germany
There are a variety of requirements to meet to be considered for a medical school in Germany. Medical education The major requirement is a high school diploma and German language skills.
In the lines below, I’ll show you some of the requirements you must meet to be eligible to study medicine in Germany.
- Your secondary school diploma
- Letters of recommendation
- Letter of motivation
- Voluntary or work experience related to healthcare
- If you’re from the EU, your high school diploma should be considered equivalent to the German diploma. Non-EU students must verify that their qualifications are acceptable. If not, you may be required to enroll in a Studienkolleg (a one-year preparatory course) and take the Feststellungsprüfungexam.
- Strong command of the English language is required to comprehend professional literature. It’s also beneficial, but not necessary, to know Latin.
- The candidate must have Good marks in Biology, chemistry, and physics from high school.
- Because medical programs are generally time-consuming and rigorous, with up to 25-30 hours of mandatory classes each week, the ability to cope well with stress is important.
- Students from outside the EU may need a student visa and a residency permit.
- Non-EU students may be required by some universities to submit TestAS exam results, whilst the Test for Medical Studies (TMS) is optional but can help you stand out from the crowd by displaying your intellectual potential.
A-level requirements for medicine in Germany
Basically, for medicine, you need three of the following four subjects at A’ level: Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics. Your fourth subject must be a language in order to meet the general requirements.
Best Medical Schools in Germany
In this section, I’ll show you some of the best medical schools in Germany you can apply to.
University of Augsburg
The University of Augsburg is a relatively new institution and one of the best medical schools in Germany. The school was established in 1970 in the Free State of Bavaria. The university has successfully used the linked potential to grow dynamically and align its own profile with current and future difficulties.
The University of Augsburg began by focusing on law, economics, social sciences, and the humanities, but has since expanded to include and promote promising departments of natural and technical sciences. The university now offers a full range of courses and study programs, thanks to the addition of its eighth faculty, a medical faculty.
Post you may like: 25 Free Printable Bible Study Lessons with Questions and Answers PDF
Ruhr Universitat Bochum
Ruhr Universitat Bochum is one of the medical schools in Germany. The school is located in the heart of Europe in the dynamic metropolitan region of the Ruhrgebiet. RUB has 21 faculties which is home to 42,600 students from over 130 countries.
The school offers medical programs like anatomy, physiology, pharmacology and a whole lot more. Students looking to benefit from this can apply to the school through the official website.
University of Bonn
Another one on our list of best medical schools in Germany is the University of Bonn. The school is a renowned medical school where top-notch medical experts are trained.
Some of the programs offered at the Bonn include, genetics, pharmacy, pharmacology, physiotherapy and more.
To study medicine at the University of Bonn, you need proof of German language skills at least at language level C1, DSH 2 or Test DaF in all Tel areas 4. You can find more information on this at
Cologne University is one of the medical colleges in Germany. The school offers a 6 years and 3 months, with the last 12 months being a practical training of 48 weeks in clinics.
Generally, the medical training at Cologne aims to help its students
- acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to recognize important and common illnesses as well as acutely life-threatening situations and to initiate their treatment
- have behaviors and attitudes that are conducive to patient and health care professionals’ acceptance and the reputation of the medical profession in society
- to be able to take up independent and scientifically sound further training in general medicine, in a clinical discipline or in a basic subject of your choice.
Students looking to attend Cologne can apply to the school using the official school website below.
Faculty of Medicine at Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf
Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf is another notable Medical school in Germany.
The Faculty of Medicine at Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf integrates study, teaching, and research in human medicine and dentistry as well as in health sciences and basic sciences related to medicine.
The research profile of the Faculty of Medicine addresses the essential challenges of medicine in the future. It is characterized by interdisciplinary collaborative research, especially in cardiovascular medicine, which pursues forward-looking cooperation in close collaboration with Diabetology and metabolic research as well as the Centre for Health and Society.
Furthermore, the institution has a long tradition of excellent collaborative research in molecular and clinical liver research.
Technische Universitat Dresden
The Faculty of Medicine Carl Gustav Carus at Technische Universitat is one of the best medical schools in Germany.
The faculty has more than 2500 students who actively offer a breadth of subjects and disciplines as well as academic diversity.
Students can find degree programs like Medicine, Dentistry, Public Health and Medical Radiation Sciences.
Medical research specialized in the fields of oncology, metabolic, neurological and psychiatric diseases can also be carried out at the school.
Looking to attend Dresden University, visit them through the official website below.
The Frankfurt Faculty of Medicine has made great efforts in recent years to achieve a top position in research and teaching.
The department now has a high international reputation for its main research areas, especially in the fields of cardiovascular medicine and neurosciences.
The department of medicine at University of Goethe offers a wide array of courses to make for the wholesome building of the student. Some of the courses offered include:
See the official school website for more details.
Faculty of Medicine at Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg is one of the best medical colleges in Germany. An average of 320 future doctors complete their studies in Freiburg every year – that makes them one of Germany’s biggest medical teaching faculties.
Graduates of Medicine at ALUF are considered to be among the best in their field in Germany. This success is based on training which focuses on the patient and which is largely conducted in small groups.
In order to prepare her students comprehensively for the demands of working as a doctor, ALUF provides competency-based learning. Students are specially trained to meet the following employable skills.
- We train our students in communication skills
- We promote inter-professional cooperation
- We teach practical skills
- We teach academic responsibility.
Faculty of Medicine at GMartin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg
The aim of medical training is the scientifically and practically trained doctor who is capable of self-reliant and independent medical professional practice, further training and continuous training.
The study of medicine provides the basic knowledge, skills and abilities in all subjects that are required for comprehensive health care for the population.
To prepare their students for the global labor market, they offer the opportunity to gather one or two semesters of international experience.
Looking to get a medical degree from this school, check the official website below
Faculty of Medicine at Georg-August-Universitat Gottingen
The Georg-August-Universitat Gottingen is one of the best medical schools in Germany.
The program provides a strong foundation in the science of medicine while at the same time emphasizing practical and patient-oriented aspects of the field. Its goal is to ensure that students receive comprehensive medical, interdisciplinary and methodical training and acquire:
- the practical and psychological skills and an intellectual and ethical understanding of medicine;
- the physician’s sense of responsibility to both the individual and the public which is necessary to assist in prevention, diagnosis, therapy and rehabilitation of illness and disability while considering the patient’s psychological and social context, scientific progress, the environment and the society;
- the ability and readiness to stay involved in continuing medical education and to work together with fellow physicians and members of other health professions.
Medical Schools in Germany: FAQs
Is medical school free in Germany?
Yes! Medical education Germany is free and the main admission requirements are high school diploma and Germany language skills.
How many years is a medical school in Germany?
A medical training program in Germany takes six years to complete and is conducted entirely in German, so you’ll need a sound knowledge of the German language.
Are there medical schools in Germany that teach in English?
The best English-taught med schools in Germany
According to the QS rankings by subject, these are the top German universities that offer Medical programmes:
- Heidelberg University
- LMU University
- Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- Technical University of Munich
- Hamburg University
- Goethe University Frankfurt
- University of Tübingen
- Freiburg University
- University of Göttingen
- Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Is it hard to get into medical school in Germany?
Studying medicine in Germany is usually for international student as it is only 4 to 6% that are awarded admission. As such, you have a high chance of getting in if you have good grades in high school and the Studienkolleg.
Are there private medical universities in Germany?
Yes! There are about four basic private universities in Germany. Find the best private medical schools in Germany here below:
- Universität Witten/Herdecke.
- Medizinische Hochschule Brandenburg Theodor Fontane (MHB).
- Health and Medical University Potsdam (HMU).
- Medical School Hamburg – University of Applied Sciences and Medical University (MSH).
Can international students apply to medical schools in Germany?
Yes. International students who wish to study medicine in Germany. But they must ensure to meet all the requirements stipulated.
Are there special scholarships to study medicine in Germany?
The cost of studying medicine in Germany isn’t one that comes without a cost. Nonetheless, as a student from a developing country, you can study medicine in Germany for free via scholarships. Find scholarships to study medicine in Germany.
After we’ve conducted a thorough research, here are some of the best medical schools in Germany you can apply to now. Carefully surf through and choose and apply to the one that appeals to you.