In this article, we’ve put together everything you need to know about the University of New Brunswick in Canada as an aspiring student coming from either within or outside of Canada.
University of New Brunswick is one of the well-known universities in Canada and in this article we’ve exposed in detail every basic information you need to help you facilitate your admission application to this institution.
University Of New Brunswick, Canada
University of New Brunswick (UNB) is among the institutions leading in research and innovation in Canada. Its foundation dates back to 1785 when a group of seven loyalists who left the united states during the revolution period, established its presence in Canada.
Today, UNB is a public-funded and research intensified university situated in the state of New Brunswick.
The university is highly celebrated for its unparalleled academic merits and global recognition in discoveries and research that is enriched with the state of the art tech and interesting the university was named the most entrepreneurial university in Canada at the 2014 startup Canada award.
UNB has high academic and teaching standards used in equipping its students to be remarkable and outstanding in their field of pursuit as well as assist them to create their own path to success while making memories and friends that last a lifetime.
The UNB also has strong ties and excellent records in innovative research amongst its students and faculty members and it is connected to over 60 research centers.
Recently, it was revealed that the university earned a research income of $32.2 million. Some of their innovative technologies are being used by Google and NASA and medical sciences.
The school offers over 75-degree programs in its fourteen faculties at the undergraduate and graduate level and it awards programs that lead to bachelor’s, Masters and doctoral degrees.
More so, it has a total student enrollment of about 11,000 in its two principal campuses; the Fredericton campus has up to 9,000 students while the Saint John campus has about 3,000 students. International students also apply from about 100 countries around the world.
UNB has graduated numerous renowned people of Canadian citizens including federal cabinet ministers such as Sir John Douglas Hazen and William Pugsley. These people were trained to focus on achieving life success and making an impact on the country through the quality of education it provides.
Why You should study in UNB
If you wish to study in Canada, the University of New Brunswick should be your first choice. The following reasons should be able to convince you:
- UNB as a public university nurtures a community who is challenged within her students to create their own future. It’s students being supported by the school to making their life journey of success through academics.
- UNB’s professors are leaders in their fields, developing technologies used by NASA and Google, pioneering research in plant-based medicines and leading Canada’s Institute for Cybersecurity.
- The university admits nearly 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students annually, including students from more than 100 countries.
- UNB has high technological advantages over some institutions in Canada, with high established laboratories and workshop practices.
- They are committed to making sure academic purposes are fulfilled to its apex. This is done through many structures put in place to aid academic excellence amongst students and staff.
University Of New Brunswick Ranking
UNB is ranked as one of Canada’s top research institute. It has gain a reputation globally for providing an experiential education model that is tailored to research, entrepreneurship, innovation and leadership. In this regard, the university is seen on the radar of many ranking bodies and organizations.
- The U.S.News & World Report in its global ranking, ranks UNB 959th in the world and 26th in Canada.
- Times World placed UNB 800th in the world and 27th in Canada.
- In its comprehensive university category, Maclean’s ranked UNB 6th place in Canada.
- National Post placed UNB in the 3rd place in the top three comprehensive research institute in Canada.
University Of New Brunswick Acceptance Rate
The acceptance rate at UNB is pegged at 74% which implies that the university has a very high intake of students provided they meet up their requirements into the respective programs available on its campus.
University Of New Brunswick Faculties
UNB has 14 faculties that are notable for their excellence in research and knowledge transfer. There are more than 75 undergraduate and graduate programs integrated into these faculties.
Here are the faculties available
- Faculty of Applied Arts
- Applied Management
- Computer Science
- Environment and Natural Resources
- Health Sciences
- Information Sciences
- Leadership Studies
- Recreation and Sport Studies
University Of New Brunswick Tuition Fees
UNB is a highly sought after institution. Its tuition for both national and international students are moderately affordable. Fees are estimated according to the program of choice.
Undergraduate Tuition & Fees
The undergraduate tuition for national students is estimated in the range of $7,270.00 – $8,580.00 CAD. However, you should note that tuition within both campuses are slightly different depending on the program studied at the campus.
The following is the fees estimate for different U.D programs:
- Engineering: $8,580
- Law : $12,560
- Nursing : $8,580
- Education : $7,270
- Computer Sci. : $8,234
- Arts : $7,270
- Business Admin: $8,442
- Health Sciences: $8,540
- Kinesiology : $8,096
- Students union : $120
- Mandatory fees : $494
- Health insurance : $160
- Dental insurance: $125
- Brunswickan fee: $15
International Undergraduate Tuition Fees
International undergraduate students tuition fees are slightly higher than their national counterparts. Shown below, is the estimate of fees for an academic year
- International Differential fee : $9,755
- Tuition : $7,270 – $12,870
- Residents/Meals : $8,600
- Student fees : $964
- Health insurance : $966
- Books/supplies. : $2,000
- Estimated total : $29,553 – $36,617
International Graduate Student Tuition
UNB Graduate tuition varies for both part-time time and full-time students for the different programs of study ranging from Masters in Management, Masters in Technology Management Entrepreneurship to MBA in the two campuses.
You should also take note that the different fees are estimated either as a Researched-based or Course-based.
A research-based is a graduate program that comes with thesis and dissertation while a course-based program is the one that involves only course work.
So, the tuition fee given here is a 12- month compilation for a full-time international student.
- Tuition : $6,975
- International Differential fees : $5,460
- Emergency Health insurance : $6,000
- International Health travel insurance : $64.50
- GSA universal bus pass : $148.00
- GSA fee : 180.00
- Mandatory fee : $480.00
- Estimated total : $14,512.00
- Accommodation : $7,300
- Food/living expenses : $5,000
- Books/Supplies : $2,000
- Local travel : $800.00
- Total : $29,612.50
- Tuition : $8,570
- International Differential fee : $5,450
- Emergency Health insurance : $600
- International health insurance : $64.50
- GSA fee : $180
- Mandatory fee : $168.00
- Estimated total : $16,100.00
University Of New Brunswick Admission Requirements
The following are the requirements needed for undergraduate, graduate and other degrees.
High school student applying to UNB must have at least these three items which includes:
English language proficiency requirements:
A non-English undergraduate applicant require the following English language proficiency minimum scores for direct entry into most academic programs:
- TOEFL IBT with a minimum overall score of -85
- or IELTS Indicator with a minimum overall score of -6.5
- CAEL CE or CAEL Online with a minimum overall score of -60
- Pearson Vue Test with a minimum score of -59
Cambridge English Assessment C1 advanced or C2 proficiency with a minimum score of -176
- Duolingo with a minimum overall score of -115
Country specific admission requirement
Applicant is required to have a pass grade in the following accepted or recognized certificate: International Baccalaureate (IB) students, Advanced Placement (AP) students and GCSE students. You can refer to the country-specific admission requirements.
Program- specific admission requirement
Students must also satisfy the course requirements for their program of choice.
UNB accepts and encourages applications from students wishing to transfer from another post-secondary institution.
This is for those who have completed their first degree and desire to apply for master’s or doctoral (Ph.D.) level. Visit the School of Graduate Studies for admission requirements for graduate programs.
How To Apply For UNB Admission
- Login to the application portal
- Choose your campus and program
- Check the admission requirements
- Confirm your application deadline
- Create a UNB application account on the school portal and fill up your bio-date and upload some documents as will be directed.
University Of New Brunswick Scholarships
The following scholarships and financial aids are available to students of UNB in order to assist them financially. Some of these awards are not based on application while some are applied for.
These aids do not have a fixed amount because it is done annually but millions of dollars are released to help students of UNB annually from partners and alumni.
UNB graduate students receive financial aids through scholarships, internal awards, external awards and job opportunities such as teaching. Information on these aids is obtained from respective departments.
Here are some graduate scholarships available:
- New Brunswick Innovation Foundation
Value : $4,000-$20,000
- New Brunswick Health Research Foundation
- McCall MacBain Scholarships
Value : $2,000
- O’Brien Foundation Fellowships
scholarships are available for undergraduate students; these scholarships are awarded based on academic performance and referral by the department. It is applied annually.
Some of the scholarship are;
- Schulic Leaders Scholarship
- Currie Undergraduate Scholarship
- Beaverbrook Scholars Award
- Loran Scholars Foundation
- Arthur & Sandra Irving Primrose Scholarship
This is a new award scheme at UNB for undergraduate students. This is aimed to accelerate undergraduate students to research-based Masters Programs at UNB. This award fund comes at the completion of the undergraduate program.
The award provides a student scholarship fund of $8,000 with the expectation that they dedicate themselves full-time to research activities for that term. Eligible Undergraduates applicants of UNB must have a Minimum GPA 3.5 grade, have an established research project and Supervisor relationship
University Of New Brunswick Alumni
As of 2020, the University of New Brunswick reports 90,000 living alumni, with over 39,000 in New Brunswick. This is a list of but a few of the alumni members of UNB.
- Dr.Frank McKenna: He was the former Premier of New Brunswick, Ambassador to the United States, and banker
- Edward Ludlow Wetmore: A politician, jurist, and Chief Justice of Saskatchewan
- Mary Matilda Winslow: The University of New Brunswick’s first black female graduate
- Sir George Eulas Foster: A politician, academic, and Minister of Finance
- John B. McNair: He was former Premier of New Brunswick, Chief Justice of New Brunswick, and Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick
- Norman Inkster: Former Commissioner of the RCMP & former President of INTERPOL
- Kelly Lamrock: Former politician, cabinet minister and Attorney General of New Brunswick
- Graydon Nicholas: A jurist and first aboriginal Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick, first aboriginal man in Atlantic Canada to earn a law degree
- William Pugsley: Politician, Premier of New Brunswick, and Lieutenant Governor of New BrunswickBrunswick
- Charles D. Richards: Former Premier of New Brunswick, Chief Justice of New Brunswick
- Dr. Chris Simpson: Physician, 147th President of the Canadian Medical Association
UNB has a great student support service that’ll make your academic journey amazing and successful. The university leads in cutting edge research and in training brilliant graduates. Does it sound like your dream institution?
Its high acceptance rate shows that you can be welcome into its unique campus that is swamped with top tier faculty professors.
Ensure to meet up the entry requirements as we provide in this article. Good luck on your application.
- University of Manitoba Requirements
- University of Guelph Requirements
- University of Montreal Requirements
- University of Victoria Requirements
- University of Calgary Requirements