As an aspirant, here is everything you need to know about the University of Manitoba in Canada including their current school fees, scholarships, application fees, admission requirements and more.
University Of Manitoba, Canada
The University Of Manitoba as a research university in the province of Manitoba located in the heart of Canada, is one of the high rich institutions in the country. The University was founded in the year 1877 and it is the first university in western Canada.
Since it’s establishment, she has been driving discoveries and inspiring minds through innovative teaching and research excellence.And Since 1990, the University of Manitoba has consistently ranked among the country’s top 10 universities for producing the most Academic excellence in all of Canada.
It’s level of influence and impact in the field of academics has moved them to strongly engaged it’s community of students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors and community partners worldwide. it’s impact and sphere of influence over the years of existence has affected more than 145,000 alumni living in 140 countries.
University of Manitoba has graduated more than 27,000 doctors, nurses, pharmacists, dentists, dental hygienists and rehabilitation specialists, playing a key role in developing expertise and excellence in generations of health-care professionals.
The university encourages healthy learning and impacts it’s environment, through the following ways:
University of Manitoba builds character through academics and sports.
This is achieved through the elite interuniversity sport programs in Canada, Bison Sports boasts more than 350 athletes across nine sports: basketball, cross country, football, golf, hockey, soccer, swimming, track and field, and volleyball.
Its sport team has won 44 University Sports national championships, inclusive of the most recent victory in women’s hockey at the end of the 2017-18 seasons.
Annual records show that more than 35,000 students, staff and community members engage with the University of Manitoba through Recreation Services memberships, programs, and recreation facilities.
Its Active Living Center is well equipped with several sophisticated equipment to help recreational activities.
Some of this equipment included a 100,000-square-foot facility, 1000 free weights and accessories, 160 pieces of cardio equipment, a 12-meter climbing wall and a 200-meter elevated running track.
Their Active Living Centre in 2016 as the first time in 30 years (that a Canadian school received such an honor) was recognized by the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) with the Outstanding Sports Facility Award for design and functionality
University of Manitoba researchers are making contributions that recognize global impact as she ranks 13th among Canada’s top 50 research universities for attracting research grants and contracts.
University of Manitoba partners with 55 research centers, institutes, facilities, and groups that believe in collaborative research and scholarship.
University of Manitoba ranks high in the country in the area of research as they are allocated 46 in Canada Research Chairs (CRCs), the prestigious Canada 150 Research Chair and a Canada Excellence Research Chair Laureate.
Due to their high reputation and research innovative influence, they have attracted partners globally in the area of research.
In a bid to raise academic experts, the University of Manitoba is committed to advancing the University’s vision in order to embed Indigenous perspectives into learning, discovery, and engagement; this is seen as the recruitment of new high profile lecturer in different disciplines in 2018.
The University of Manitoba provides Extended Education which offers more than 100 certificate and diploma courses for students of all ages, educational and professional backgrounds, and geographic locations.
In 2019, the university partners showed more generosity which resulted in 80 new awards, including more than 50 scholarships, prizes, travel awards or fellowships, and 25 bursaries. More than 23,000 alumni have shown their support to the Front and Centre campaign in the university.
University Of Manitoba Ranking
- In its recent report, the Academic Ranking Of World Universities ranked U of M 301 -400 in the world and positioned the school in the 13th place in Canada.
- The U.S News & World Report places it in 390th- 650 in the world and 15th place in Canada.
- QS World also ranked the university 601th – 650 in the world and 20th in Canada.
- TimesHigher kept the school at 301th – 400 in the world and 15th in Canada.
- In the Medical/Doctoral category, Maclean’s placed U of M in the 14th position in Canada.
University of Manitoba Faculties
- Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Arts
- Asper School of Business
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of Environment, Earth, and Resources
- Division of Extended Education
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
- Dr. Gerald Niznick College of Dentistry
- School of Dental Hygiene
- Faculty of Kinesiology and Recreation Management
- Faculty of Law
- Desautels Faculty of Music
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Social Work
University of Manitoba Tuition Fees
Knowing about the acceptance rate isn’t just enough if the University of Manitoba is your first choice.
As a prospective student of the university, having the knowledge of University of Manitoba tuition fees especially for international students is imperative. So we are here to let you know your curiosity and how you can pay your fees.
Beware that it’s not only tuition fees that you pay as a prospective student of the university, you also pay for books, accommodation, and additional fees. Though the University of Manitoba Students provides scholarships and financial aid.
Tuition Fee For Domestic Students
Fees are calculated for each area of study based on the number of credit per hour (cph )
- Agricultural & food sciences: $156.52
- Agricultural diploma: $89.99
- Architecture: $141.74
- Arts: $123.30
- Education: $134.34
- Fine Arts: $153.96
- Environment, earth & resources science: $165.12
- Sciences: $145.42
Tuition Fee For International Students
Fees are also calculated based on the number of credit per hour for each area of study
- Agricultural & food sciences: $579.00
- Agricultural diploma: $541.69
- Architecture: $470.87
- Arts: $513.42
- Education: $524.17
- Fine Arts: $588.48
- Environment, earth & resources science: $514.26
- Sciences: $566.51
General Fees Paid By All Students
- Registration Fees: $22.82 per fall & winter session and $11.41 for summer
- Library Fees: $22.82 for all academic session
- Students service fee: $22.82
- U-Pass fee: $136.25 per fall and winter
- UMSU health & dental insurance fee : $345.00 per year (includes $175.00 for health and $175.00 for dental)
- Sport and recreation fee: $86.64 for full-time students and $64.96 for part-time students
University of Manitoba Scholarship
There are many financial aid opportunities for Indigenous students which are available to both the University of Manitoba and external partners.
The majority of scholarships and awards at the University of Manitoba are automatically awarded each year based on academic achievement (no application required).
Scholarships are normally offered to full-time students based on academic achievement and course load and usually require that the recipient re-register at the University of Manitoba for the subsequent year.
Also, financial aids schemes are available to students who are facing financial challenges.
Here, scholarships are based on academic achievement, and bursaries are based on financial need.
You can find out more about these scholarships and awards here.
International Undergraduate Student Scholarship
The International Undergraduate Student Scholarship was established to reward excellence in scholastic achievement by international students at The University of Manitoba.
Scholarships are offered to international students who:
- Are in Canada on valid study permits
2. Who have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours in any Faculty or School at the University of Manitoba
3. Show exceptional academic achievement on courses completed in the last regular academic session (minimum sessional grade point average of 3.5)
International Undergraduate Student Entrance Scholarship
The International Undergraduate Student Entrance Scholarship was established to reward academic excellence by international students graduating from international high schools and entering studies at the University of Manitoba.
Scholarships will be offered to students who:
Are international students (i.e. in Canada on valid study permits) who have applied for admission to any Faculty or School at the University of Manitoba by the deadline date of March 1;
Are paying the international student tuition fee rates;
Have achieved a minimum high school average of 85% based on the best five academic courses from the approved list.
University of Manitoba General Admission Requirements
Depending on your background and program of study, you may also need to provide some of these documents:
- Graduation from a four-year undergraduate degree program or equivalent.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended institutions
- Proof of English language proficiency
- A personal statement about your goals for the program
- Sample of writing,
- A copy of a birth certificate,
- Visa/passport and other course-specific documents
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognized college or university with a minimum average grade (3.0).0
University of Manitoba Application Fee
The University of Manitoba admission application fee is $100 for Canadian citizens, permanent residents and refugees. The application fee is $120 for international students.
Once you have submitted your application and paid the fee, It will be reviewed. Check your application portal regularly to see if they request additional documentation.
University of Manitoba Admission Application Process
Do you have an interest in applying for University of Manitoba as an international student or indigenous applicant, there are categories of application to do depending on the kind of program you desire. You can apply for Undergraduate studies, Graduate studies or Extended education.
For you to apply for the undergraduate or graduate program at U of M, you need to do the following;
- Click on the application link
- Find the program you are applying by selecting the school, faculty or college you want. This is to know the available course for application
- Select the department of your choice under your chosen faculty.
- Click on start application
- If you are a new application, create a new login account for your application on the next page when you click start or continue your application
- Input your email, username, password and date of birth and click continue
- Upload your documents and answer the relevant questions on the page upcoming.
Upon acceptance of your provisional admission, register your courses, pay your tuition fees and map out your career.
You can begin application here.
University of Manitoba Alumni
University of Manitoba alumni members have breeived prestigious ranks and awards over the years such as Dr. Frank Plummer [MD/76] in 2016 received the Canada Gairdner Wightman Award for his outstanding leadership in medical science and Dr. Marlyn Cook [MD/87] in 2019 received a national award for her career working on reserve lands and advocacy work to reshape medicine in First Nations communities.
Also, Dr. Cook, an alumus of the university from Misipawistik Cree Nation is recognized as one of the first Indigenous physicians in Canada; alongside many other awards.
Some of the notable alumni are;
- Clay Riddel ( Oil businessman )
- Olawale Suleiman ( neurosurgeon )
- Jim Peebles ( Astrophysicist, Nobel prize in physics 2019 )
- Leonard Peikoff ( philosopher )
- Velvl Greene ( scientists )
- Harold J.Brodie ( mycologist )
- Patricia Alice Shaw ( Linguist )
- Louis Slotin ( physicist and chemist )
- Edward Schreyer ( premier of Manitoba )
- Marshall Rothstein ( Judge, supreme court of Canada )
- Miriam Toewes ( novelist )
- Meaghan Dewarrenne Waller ( fashion model )
- Gary Filmon ( civil engineer )
- Serving Goffman ( sociologists )
- George Montegu Black ( businessman )
- Johanna Hume ( architect )
- Poman Boghdan Kroitor ( cofounder of IMAX corporation )
- Walden Fox Decent (professor)
The University of Manitoba prides itself in providing an enriching and satisfying academic experience and prior to its high standard of intake, it has also increased its acceptance rate to accommodate the increasing number of applicants.
So, this article has been able to highlight all the detailed information you need to know about U of M. Have you got any questions? please comment below.
- University of Toronto Admission Requirements
- McMaster Admission Requirements
- University of Manitoba Admission Requirements
- University of Victoria Admission Requirements
- University of Manitoba Admission Requirements