Are you interested in teaching English in Colombia? You are at the right place. Read this article carefully with rapt attention to see the diverse English teaching jobs available in the country, how to apply, the salary range, requirements or qualifications, and many other things.
Colombia according to Wikipedia is a country with the second-largest population in South America and is still growing at a fast pace. This has given rise to high demand for teachers, especially English teachers with TEFL.
Since the majority of the inhabitants speak Spanish, the English teachers there help them to improve their accents in English. In return, they get paid and also learn one or more things about the Spanish language.
The truth is teaching is a lucrative job, especially when it is done at the right place. I consider it one of the easy college majors that guarantee good pay upon graduation. Now, there are many countries people apply to teach English. One of them is Italy.
People also teach English in Thailand, some others in Singapore. There are even English teachers who teach foreign students from their houses using online platforms. You can educate Japanese students on English online, you can also teach English to Chinese students through virtual means.
However, I always advise those who want to venture into online teaching to take some training on how to do that effectively. Whether you want to teach in the countries I mentioned above or on any English teaching websites online, you can enroll in training such as certificate training courses for online teachers, and many others like that.
Without any further ado, let us delve into our topic of how to teach English in Colombia. Your full attention is needed so that you won’t miss any points.
Pros And Cons Of Being An English Teacher In Colombia
As good as it may seem, teaching English in Colombia can be quite challenging. Here are some of the pros and cons.
Pros Of Being An English Teacher In Colombia
- There are a lot of teaching opportunities for people from native English-speaking countries. You can apply to teach in private classes, schools, or even businesses.
- Colombia has a good number of holiday periods aside from the scheduled school vacations, which gives you the flexibility to explore other parts of the country, or even have the opportunity to travel.
- Students from Colombia are the most welcoming people in South America. They are kind and have respect for their teachers, and won’t fail to shower you with their candies, drawings, and hugs.
- You can find cheap domestic flights and great travel opportunities.
- You will build a lot of international connections with people from all walks of life who came to Colombia. You may need their support someday.
Cons Of Being An English Teacher In Colombia
- The schools start as early as 7 am, so you have to be up as early as possible to catch the school bus. You will need to settle down and arrange yourself before the day’s activities kick-off.
- There is always traffic congestion. To go to school may take some while due to the traffic.
- There may be last-minute changes in schedules, or meetings being canceled. This, most of the time happens because of a lack of organization on the part of the schools’ management.
Qualifications To Teach English In Colombia
Here are the requirements or qualifications needed to become an English teacher in Colombia. Read through them carefully.
- You should have at least a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution in your country.
- You need to possess some teaching experience.
- You need to understand the types of English teaching jobs available.
- You must have an accredited TEFL certification. You can click here to know how to get yours if you don’t have one.
- You must possess a valid Visa.
- You must not be from a native English-speaking country like Ireland, Canada, U.K, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, etc., however, you are expected to be very fluent in the English language.
- You must have a clear criminal record.
How To Start Teaching English In Colombia
Here are the procedures you can follow to become an English teacher in Columbia.
1. Meet The Requirements
Meeting the requirements is the first step for anyone who wishes to teach English in a country like Colombia. I have listed these requirements above but let me repeat them again. Possessing a TEFL certification, having some teaching experience, being very fluent in the English language, etc.
2. Make Your Research
What I am simply saying here is that after you have seen the requirements, the next thing to do is to start making research about these teaching jobs in Colombia. Explore many websites and educational blogs that have information about such opportunities.
Also, you can take consultations from experts who are in the field to give you guidelines or recommendations about how teaching English in Colombia is been done. Ensure you verify the authenticity of the consultant.
3. Arrange Your Documents
Get your documents ready so that you can apply as soon as it is time to do so. These documents include your degree certificates, your well-written essay, your visa, passport photographs, recommendations, and many others.
4. Apply For The Jobs
With your documents ready, and having met the requirements for becoming an English teacher in Colombia, go ahead to apply for the various jobs you have seen during your research. You can apply to private and public institutions, or even as a private tutor as the case may be.
Whichever opportunity you apply to, keep your eyes on the tab to know when you are shortlisted so that you can take your interview if required and start making plans for your travel. It is also advisable to go through the job requirements thoroughly and confirm it is what you can handle before applying.
5. Make Your Travel Plans
Of course, I know that you already have your travel plans on the ground, should in case you are selected. If you don’t, start now to make them as you tend to be relocating to commence work, after you have successfully passed the interview and secured the job.
You have been provided with all you need to know about teaching English in Colombia. I hope you enjoyed the article, and have gotten enough clarity.
Do take a look at these frequently asked questions to get more insights about what we are discussing.
Teach English in Colombia- FAQs
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about how to teach English in Colombia. I have highlighted and answered them correctly.
[sc_fs_multi_faq headline-0=”h3″ question-0=”Are English Teachers In High Demand In Colombia?” answer-0=”Yes, English teachers are in high demand in Colombia. ” image-0=”” headline-1=”h3″ question-1=”What Is The Salary Of English Teachers In Colombia?” answer-1=”The salary of English teachers in Colombia is between $500 to $1050 monthly. ” image-1=”” headline-2=”h3″ question-2=”Where Can I Teach English In Colombia?” answer-2=”You can teach English to adults or children in English schools, you can still be a private tutor. There is also online English teaching, and public school programs that you can apply to. ” image-2=”” headline-3=”h3″ question-3=”Do I Need To Know Spanish To Teach English In Colombia?” answer-3=”To become an English teacher in Colombia, you don’t need to be fluent in Spanish. ” image-3=”” headline-4=”h3″ question-4=”Can I Teach English In Colombia Without A Degree?” answer-4=”A TEFL certificate is required to teach English in Colombia. A college degree is also a plus and will place you on a higher pedestal.” image-4=”” count=”5″ html=”true” css_class=””]
- Teach English in Vietnam: All You Need to Know
- How to Teach English in Dubai: All You Need To Know
- How To Teach English In Korea – Full Steps
- The Best Jobs for English Speaking Students
- List of English Universities in Denmark